Trumpeter SCUD-B

Vehicles with tracks, guns or camouflage, etc.

Trumpeter SCUD-B

Sponsor

Sponsor

Trumpeter SCUD-B

Postby snapdragon » Mon Feb 16, 2015 2:59 pm

I finally got a reasonable UK price for this from my Local retailer.

This kit caused a stir amongst Russian fans on its announcement as the only kit in town of this was Dragon's kit in 1/35. I had dealings with this in my younger days and it was horrible. I had so many fit issues that it eventually hit the bin. Trumpeter originally announced this kit as a SCUD-C followed by meng who announced their own SCUD-B. Now those in the know about these ballistic mobile platforms pointed out to Trumpeter that what they were actually producing was a SCUD-B. The difference is only in the rocket as there is an 8ft difference in height between the SCUD-B and C variants with the SCUD-C being taller and so the protection rail on the transporter is removed to accommodate the SCUD-C. The transporter remains the same.

I am not an expert on ballistic mobile platforms but I know a good kit when I see one and Trumpeter have produced a corker with this, but before I get into the box then I need to get something off my chest.

Trumpeter Announced this not only as a new kit but a special item for their 20th anniversary at a very special price as a thank you to their fans and customers. This statement is on their Facebook page. Most importers and distributers have done that apart from the UK importer/distributer who have angered fans by setting a price of this kit of £95 and the attitude of this is the price buy it or not. The same company also import HK models and also have upset a lot of model builders and some retailers by setting what some have said are unreasonable prices for HK kits.

On to the Kit.

Everything to build this kit is in the box and I really do fail to see what the AM market can do to make this better, but as I have said before I'm no expert on Ballistic mobile platforms. This kit has a mammoth amount of plastic in the huge box and a tremendous attention to detail. I have seen no flash as of yet and there is some incredible detail to be done that in the end will produce a stunning and much better SCUD-B than Dragon's kit.

There is one drawback which I have noticed and has been mentioned in many internet reviews. In the box there is some black insulated electric wiring which is meant to be for the rocket cabling to the launcher.... but no instructions or diagrams This is a biggie Trumpeter and is the only thing that does make for a downside for the kit. Meng's Cad pics show cabling on their SCUD B and some builders will wait for Meng to put this out. If trumpeter have produced diagrams and they have not made it into the box then they should make this available to download. I will be interested to see what Meng do and compare the two kits.

However all is not lost. There are a couple of excellent walkarounds on the web that have good photos of the cabling system and so with care this can be done, although I don't know at this moment if all the connectors are included in the kit.

The detail in the kit is incredible with most control points, hatches, doors etc available to be viewed buy leaving the hatches and doors open. Also there are options to have the cab(s) lifted up so you can see the engine - There is a full engine, drive train etc underneath - and the launcher can be posed too.

In the box there is lots of sprues and the detail done is fantastic. A real credit to Trumpeter. The build booklet is a very busy one with 39 multi stage steps. Trumpeter have yet to master the colour callouts in the build stages and have one or two suspect ones so I would refer to walkaround websites for accurate interior and panel colours. For instance they have put pale blue as the cab interior colour, but it is infact a pale green, the same colour used by US APC interiors which is available in the MIG AMMO paint range (number 082)

They have a full colour insert for painting with profiles for 7 vehicles but I suspect that the favourite colour schemes seen on competition tables will be Iraqi and Russian SCUD-B's. Mig AMMO paints are the main reference pointers followed by Mr Hobby, Model Master, Tamiya and humbrol.

The plastic in the kit has an incredible amount of detail so here it is along with some close ups.

The windows & lights clear sprue is excellent with any detail being sharp and the windows are truly clear. my photo shows a light reflection.

There are 8 large and chunky rubber tyres too

Poly caps (for the wheels - they will go round!) some small metal pins.

Copper wire to make the tow cable seen wrapped around the front bumper

Black electric wire to do the hoses for the rocket (but no instructions)

There are 3 etched brass sprues with mesh etc on them.

A little surprise.... Masks for the windows!

Finally, the decals. There are two sheets, one for the interior and one for the exterior. They look to be very good and colour register is good. The decal sheets are not big but cover all 7 vehicle profiles and the rocket too.

As I look at it the only things that aren't in the box are paint and glue!

I haven's started to build yet, but this, just out of the box is, a credit to trumpeter and what they can do. The only drawback that I can see is the lack of instructions for the rocket hose connections. It should be an incredible build journey

Armour builders and Russian fans you want this on your bench despite the drawback which can be overcome buy internet research. It's big, bold and chock full of detail. UK buyers should search Ebay to get the best price (£40 plus shipping from China) if you don't fall foul of customs then you can save up to £35. That's good!

Well done trumpeter. A credit to your team and a nice anniversary kit!
Partwork Building is like meeting enemy action - no plan survives first contact!!
snapdragon
Colonel
Colonel

Re: Trumpeter SCUD-B

Postby steve131 » Tue Feb 17, 2015 11:02 am

Nice kit ,lot inside it .Saw it on a website quite big ,£40 good price for it.
steve131
Colonel
Colonel

Postby snapdragon » Fri Feb 20, 2015 12:15 pm

Here we go with the build.

A look through the build manual tells you that there is a lot in this kit. When you actually start building you realise there is much more than you actually realised!

You start with the chassis and in there goes a full drive train, engine etc. etc. Trumpeter's painting instructions would have you paint everything is matt black, but I want some variation so the chassis etc will be matt black and the engine/drive train Metal black.

Contrary to my report, once starting and getting close and hands on with parts I did start to find flash on some parts. It is easily dealt with and no problem, but those wanting to build this may want to have some new blades to hand all the time. Some of the instruction stages are very busy and sub divided and some time working out where to start on the stage, what goes where and the best way of doing it is not a waste of time on this kit. I would have sub divided the stages further and made them less cluttered in the build manual.

The photos take us through the first 7 stages of construction. By taking my time and actually thinking for a change I found no problems and an excellent fit with the drive train, engine and suspension highly detailed. I did putone part in the wrong way around, but I noticed it on checking and corrected it - no damage done.

Reminder: Check, Check and double check - THEN GLUE!! :angry-banghead:

Paint used: Vallejo Matt black primer, Metal black, steel.

There you go! For those going to build this be careful on the suspension modules there are front and back, left and right. Don't get them mixed up doing building.

Next time more is added to the chassis and I find myself jumping around a little to ease painting and building!!!!
Partwork Building is like meeting enemy action - no plan survives first contact!!
snapdragon
Colonel
Colonel

Postby number1 » Fri Feb 20, 2015 2:15 pm

Wow, already looking incredible :clap: :clap: :clap:
number1
Lietenant Colonel
Lietenant Colonel

Postby Mark » Fri Feb 20, 2015 6:29 pm

Looks very good Snap. It will be interesting to see how it compares with the Meng version when that comes out.
Cheers
Mark

If you nose runs and your feet smell, you're upside down !
Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby davetwin » Fri Feb 20, 2015 7:36 pm

Great start and some fantastic detail showing though already.
davetwin
Regiment Sergeant Major
Regiment Sergeant Major

Postby snapdragon » Sun Feb 22, 2015 1:57 pm

Here we go with another update. Many small sections and parts have been built and put through the paint shop. The first thing I really wanted out of the way was the 8 big tyres.

8 tyres later I have a big pile to go on, but much later in the build! Now it's time to complete some build sections.

any door that can be left open will be and won't be added until later to save constant breakages, swearing and refixing. I am looking for items to put in, so any ideas or accessories you know of will be helpful.

I have since noticed that the tank is installed the wrong way around. To fix this is would mean stripping most of the build down to change 1 part round and rebuilding it up. As it stands, it seems that most of this area will be not quite hidden, but not easily seen, so I can get away with it. Builders, when installing part 17 make sure you get it the right way round!

on rechecking the instructions I seem to have got it right, but it transpired that I have the top of the tank on the wrong way around! :angry-banghead: :angry-banghead: :angry-banghead: THIS is possibly fixable now!!

Also I have delved deeper into the instructions and I am moving some etched parts forward now before continuing with the rear section build as it is easier to build, paint and fit them now than later on when there is not as much room. Some parts are already fitted and painted!
snapdragon
Colonel
Colonel

Postby snapdragon » Sat Feb 28, 2015 3:51 pm

Here we go with another update.

The workshop and paint shop have been busy.

The first thing I had to do was to fix the tank. On closer inspection I discovered that I had put the top on the wrong way around. In my defence the instructions are a bit ambiguous. It was an easy fix in the end, just remove the support bars, prise off the top, turn it around and replace everything.

Now everything is as it should be. Now without the back end fixed in place it is a good idea to put in the etched detail etc.

Not easy to build up and I did make some amendments using some left over wire from some fruil tracks to put the hinges together that the instructions tell you to make. small and fiddly and I only lost 1 part :D which won't be seen anyway!

The paint shop was next to touch up and paint items to be fixed.

now it is the time to start building up the rear.

There are still some bits to add to this section and they will be going into the paint shop. From here the build gets very modular and contrary to popular belief, there are NO instructions either in the build manual or separately in the box regarding the rocket hoses. Considering the length of electrical wire included in the kit and the lack of instructions then it looks like it was considered but dropped at the last minute. Trumpeter - This was a mistake!!! It will be interesting to see what Meng have provided in their SCUD B when it finally becomes available. If it is much the same as this Trumpeter kit and includes details and fixtures for the rocket hoses then, to coin a Horse Racing Term, Meng will win by a short head.

Another update shortly with lots of built up sections and bits to show before they hit the paint shop.
snapdragon
Colonel
Colonel

Postby casper » Sat Feb 28, 2015 9:15 pm

Lovely detail snapdragon and looking great :) Shame about the Tank but well done for correcting it :clap:
My Honda MP4/4 Build Diary
viewtopic.php?f=80&t=5208
casper
General
General

Postby snapdragon » Mon Mar 09, 2015 3:47 pm

This time I assemble and paint the cabs and other equipment. The aerial part on one of the cabs is changed for RB Models' 35A14 BMP3 Aerial and mount which in actual fact is the standard mount seen on all Russian vehicles now and is an improvement on the kit one which although is moulded correctly has a short stub for the actual aerial. a full scale lenth one just adds a little more to this otherwise detailed kit.

The interior paint for the cabs etc is labelled as light blue which is incorrect. The interior colour is a very light green colour, practically the same as is seen inside American Bradleys, and in fact this is the paint I have used and it has replicated the colour so well that it is indistinguishable from the colour seen in photos. The colour is Mig Ammo A-MIG 082.

Get it here:
http://www.migjimenez.com/en/new-releases/407-apc-interior-light-green-.html
or see your Mig Stockist.

Here we go with some photos

That's it for now. Quite a lot of the assembling has now been done and there are lots of parts lined up in the paint shop. Next time see how the cabs and the front goes together and how they can be posed.

James
snapdragon
Colonel
Colonel

Postby snapdragon » Fri Mar 13, 2015 1:51 pm

This time parts of the superstructure get assembled and installed.

There is still a long way to go with the centre section to finish and install along with the rear control areas, the launch unit to put on (already assembled and painted) plus the rocket support cradle and rocket (again, assembled). There are also lots of little detail pieces to go on as well.

More next time.
snapdragon
Colonel
Colonel

Postby number1 » Fri Mar 13, 2015 8:12 pm

Looks stunning James, K given!
number1
Lietenant Colonel
Lietenant Colonel

Postby steve131 » Fri Mar 13, 2015 8:51 pm

Lovely looking model been enjoying this muchly. K awarded. :clap:
steve131
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Mark » Sat Mar 14, 2015 2:52 am

I'm enjoying this build too James. You're doing a great job :clap:
Cheers
Mark

Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Mark » Sun Jul 19, 2015 10:28 pm

How's you're Scud coming along James ? I'm torn between this one and waiting for the among offering :think:
Cheers
Mark

Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby casper » Mon Jul 20, 2015 7:41 pm

excellent work Snaps :clap: :clap: :) looks a very nice kit so far matey well done :clap:
casp
My Honda MP4/4 Build Diary
viewtopic.php?f=80&t=5208
casper
General
General

Return to Military Vehicles