Bronco SU-152 : Ready for inspection !

Vehicles with tracks, guns or camouflage, etc.

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Mark » Sat Apr 11, 2015 6:44 pm

The Mk IV tank is sitting waiting for the oil paints no the unhitching beam to go off, and to be honest, I haven't mustered up the courage to try putting mud on the model yet, so here is a nice quick project. It's actually been on the go for a couple of weeks, but has gone together quite nicely so far. Anyway, without further ado, here are some pics.

The box art. Not up to traditional Airfix standards, but not too bad......

Lots of lovely plastic inside. It's quite a big box, and fairly full. The parts are nicely moulded with lots of detail. Not much in the way of flash or mould lines. Nothing a quick scrape with a scalpel won't fix.

You also get some decals, a small photo etched fret, a clear fret and a couple of lengths of copper wire.

The kit has workable tracks made from individual links and some very small pins.

There is also a jig to help you assemble the tracks. Fortunately the spacing of the pins is the same as the spacing of the jig, so the track assembly is not too difficult.

The kit has a partial interior. Personally, I hate partial interiors. It's either got to be complete, or not at all. Mind, as this is supposed to be a quick build, I shall leave out all the interior details and close all the hatches. If anybody is particularly interested, I'll post details of what interior details you do get. It does include the top half of an engine, seats and such like, but no instruments, radios, ammo stowage, etc.

The kit features a working torsion bar suspension, moveable gun, which can slide for and aft depending on whether you want the breech open or closed. All in all, a nice kit, lots of detail and nicely cast. However, having put it together, it's not without its problems. The fit is good. I've used very little filler. However, the location of the parts leaves a lot to be desired. The location tabs are not very big, and it's difficult to get the parts to locate together firmly. There are no locating holes for the hand rails, so these are a guess the position, and then hold it while the glue sets. Very fiddly.

Anyway, I shall make this a fairly brief build diary, but will write a bit more about the painting and weathering.
Cheers
Mark

If you nose runs and your feet smell, you're upside down !
Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Bronco SU-152

Postby Mark » Sat Apr 11, 2015 6:53 pm

The first part of the assembly is the hull. Here's where I ran into the first problem. The inner securing blocks for the torsion bar suspension look identical on both left and right hand sides.Exactly the same shape, and same location pegs. However, there are two types. Left and right. Unless you happen spot that they have a different part numbers (I didn't :angry-banghead: :angry-banghead: ) you wouldn't realise they were handed....... Fortunately I found out before the glue went too hard so was able to prise them off and refix them on the correct sides.

Cheers
Mark

Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Mark » Sun Apr 12, 2015 4:09 am

The tracks look fantastic ! They are quite time consuming to assemble, but worth it. Cut out the track links, assemble them on the jig, alternating between the two styles, and then insert the track pins, still on the sprue. They are spaced correctly ! Apply a tiny drop of Extra Thin cement to the end of the pins. It really does have to be a tiny amount or the glue will run into the other track link and glue the whole thing solid. Then cut the pins free and remove the track. I then re-glued the track pins that fell out. It was easier to be mean with the glue and remix the odd pin that fell out than it was to free up glued links. I did have the odd link that glued, but flexing it a couple of times before the glue went too hard freed it up.

As you can see, the finished track sections are very good indeed.

Cheers
Mark

Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Mark » Sun Apr 12, 2015 4:28 am

The turret is a one piece moulding with quite few small details added. There are lots of small details in this kit. The carpet monster could be well fed if you're not careful. There are interior lights and a few other interior details, but I omitted them.

The gun was actually very tricky to assemble. The breech is fully detailed, and the gun does actually slide back and forward on the mount. However, the parts don't locate together very solidly, so it's tricky to get everything lined up. It all fits nicely when it does line up though.

Here is the gun fitted in the turret, with the mud guards fitted as well.

Here is the hull with the rear deck in place. This doesn't have any proper alignment tabs, so it's a bit of a guess as to its exact location. I think I actually placed it a tiny fraction too far aft as there was a tiny gap when I fitted the turret assembly.

Cheers
Mark

Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Mark » Sun Apr 12, 2015 4:35 am

This lot was wheely tedious !! :lol:

Cheers
Mark

Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby casper » Sun Apr 12, 2015 5:12 pm

Nice looking kit Mark, those tracks look really good and the detail on the turret looks good also. :clap: :)
casp
My Honda MP4/4 Build Diary
viewtopic.php?f=80&t=5208
casper
General
General

Postby Mark » Tue Apr 14, 2015 4:23 am

Thanks Casper. The tracks are fiddly, but worth the effort.

Come up against a problem now. There are some really tiny hand holds on the etched sheet. Too small to fit, for me at least ! Going to have to make them from fuse wire instead.
Cheers
Mark

Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Eric » Tue Apr 14, 2015 6:35 pm

Nice looking kit!

The detail on the tracks is surprisingly good.
Building;
HMS Hood
Tiger Tank
RMS Titanic

Built;
Bismarck
Eric
Colonel
Colonel

Postby chill » Tue Apr 14, 2015 6:42 pm

Very nice. As Eric says very nice detail
Who cares who wins
chill
Major General
Major General

Postby steve131 » Wed Apr 15, 2015 4:28 pm

Looks very good ,are Bronco related to Airfix :?:
steve131
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Mark » Wed Apr 15, 2015 4:43 pm

Don't think so. To be honest, the recent Airfix kits I've seen are better engineered, but the detail on the Bronco kit is finer.

I've finished the main assembly now, apart from the wheels, of course, and the armour at the front on the mantle. Need a squirt of Russian green around the front of the gun before that goes on.

All that's left are some tiny etched brass hand holds (or what look like hand holds anyway. They don't make much sense in the locations proposed, but I'll go with the instructions.

These are far too small for me to handle. Completely impossible to glue in place. They just stick to the tweezers, rather than the model, or fall over (no locating holes !) or get lost...... So, I have a plan which involves some wine bottle wire, plasticard, and a tiny drill !! (Oh, just to keep Paul happy, a bit of superglue ;))
Cheers
Mark

Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby steve131 » Wed Apr 15, 2015 5:33 pm

This will be Pauls favorite thread now :laughing-rolling: .It was your reference to Airfix artwork that made me think they were related :doh:
steve131
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Mark » Wed Apr 15, 2015 5:39 pm

Sorry, missed the Airfix link completely :oops:

Still, the old Airfix box art of the 70s was awesome. So full of action you just had to buy the kit :D
Cheers
Mark

Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby steve131 » Wed Apr 15, 2015 5:48 pm

Mark wrote:Sorry, missed the Airfix link completely :oops:

Still, the old Airfix box art of the 70s was awesome. So full of action you just had to buy the kit :D

That's what got me into models, they were brilliant pictures. I remember when the PC police doctored them then they went to photos. There is a book out with all the old pictures in it. :dance:
steve131
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Mark » Sun Apr 19, 2015 3:31 am

OK, here's my solution to the hand holds - make them from wine bottle wire !

I used my etch folding pliers, and added a dab of masking tape to make sure they were all the same size. They are easier to insert if the legs are different lengths.

They obviously need holes drilling. I made a simple guide from a bit of plasticard. I actually made several, slightly different shapes, but all with the same hole space of course, to get into different parts of the model

This is the finished result after the hand holds are superglued in place.

Cheers
Mark

Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Mark » Thu Apr 23, 2015 3:25 pm

Nobody interested ?
Cheers
Mark

Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby steve131 » Thu Apr 23, 2015 4:46 pm

Im watching all the time ,like this kit . 8-)
steve131
Colonel
Colonel

Postby chill » Thu Apr 23, 2015 7:59 pm

Some nice detial on this
Who cares who wins
chill
Major General
Major General

Postby Mark » Tue Apr 28, 2015 5:15 pm

Ok, for the two people who are watching, here's the next update ;)

I forgot to take a photo, but the whole model got a couple of coats of Russian Green. I used Vallejo.

22 wheels on my wagon..... well, there are now. There were still a couple missing when I took the photo, as the eagle eyed might spot. The wheels are meant to all go round, but mine are all glued solid with the exception of the drive wheels. I figured that it would be easier to fir the tracks with these moveable !!
The axle pins are tapered, and don't go all the way home. Presumably so there is a bit of play to allow the wheels to turn. I drilled out the holes slightly, and shortened the axle pins. Now they all go all the way home.

Not sure how well it shows up on the photo, but I gave the rims a metal treatment before the wheels were glued on. I used AK Interactive dark steel pigment powder. Just applied with a cotton bud, and rubbed until it becomes shiny. Works really well, but it found it's way onto the hubs, so they need a light spray with Russian green to get rid of the metallic sheen which doesn't look quite right.

Just a few fiddly bits to go on now.
Cheers
Mark

Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby steve131 » Tue Apr 28, 2015 5:23 pm

Doing the rims always finishes off the wheels nicely , four people watching build my two daughters always looking in . ;)
steve131
Colonel
Colonel

Next

Return to Military Vehicles