Takom 1/35 Kraz 6446 & trailer

Vehicles with tracks, guns or camouflage, etc.

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby snapdragon » Sun Jul 19, 2015 7:46 pm

As a break from the Mossie, for which I am only waiting for Eagle Editions to release their decal set for it, I picked this klt up in my LHS and decided to delve into it as something a little different.

This is the first Takom kit I have tackled and it is by no means a small one and is really two kits in one. The plastic is what I call Tamiya Tan and overall looking through I am quite impressed with the level of detail and the amount of brass included.

The parts are well moulded with some quite intricate detailing where needed and the odd welding seam where appropriate.

The instruction book is a clear concise and simple diagram type affair with each section clearly drawn out without crushing everything together AKA Dragon. Where this falls down is that there is no paint detailing anywhere in the instructions, insead there is a couple of colour sheets included with MIG colours and drawings given for a camo tractor unit or just overall green. There is no indication of the interior cab colours of the tractor unit, but it seems, like most Russian/Ukranian stuff this is decidedly Spartan, although there are decal dial layouts for the cab instrumentation at the very front of the manual so builders are reliant to what they can find on the internet, and that according to my own searches is not much!

This is something that Takom might want to look in to and make their build instructions a bit more informative as well as showing how the kit goes together, You just need to look at Zoukei Mura's instructions to see what should be provided (IMHO) with not only the assembly & paint instructions, but colour photos of the assembled and painted parts and also information about it.

There are lots of parts to put together which included two etched brass sheets which are very thin and also according to the instructions copper wire, but actually this turns out to be a short length of brass wire which in my kit was very bent and twisted.

The transparent parts are very clear and there are two sets of tyres in rubber with different tread patterns, referenced to in the instructions as A & B - There are no such markings of the tyres and so it is down to matching to the instructions!

Some sprues are doubled, but here's what's in the box for your +/- £65

You also get some decals - which I forgot to photograph!
Partwork Building is like meeting enemy action - no plan survives first contact!!
snapdragon
Colonel
Colonel

Re: Takom 1/35 Kraz 6446 & trailer

Postby snapdragon » Mon Aug 24, 2015 7:57 pm

This is my first encounter with Takom. They are new kids on the block and have some interesting subjects.

I intended this to be quite a short and easy build looking through the parts and indeed there is some very nice detailing throughout the kit. There are some modifications to the tractor unit chassis, and it is quite easy to do. IN actual fact this is two kits in one with the tractor unit being from another Takom kit, which if judging by what I ran in to is indicative of what Takom are putting out they have quite a way to go.

As I started logging this build to post on here and elsewhere I had decided to do a stop by step log following each instruction stage as Takom are a new company to alot of modellers and as it was their latest release it would be a good thing to show builders just how this kit went together and what the moulding and detailing was actually like.

On starting, I wanted this to be quite quick with an easy paint job so I coul then crack on with HK's aircraft for their stand at Telford (so long as Neil thinks their OK enough). Immediatly I started to run into trouble,

The kit and instructions are quite rightly devided into two but unusually the instructions start with the trailer (note there is nothing to go on there). The majority of the problems are with the kit with multiple fit problems with most stages which led me to start having to alter kit parts to get them to go together or mount into holes etc. Nearly every stage has one or multiple fit problems and I have very quickly got bogged down. Even Trumpeter's "C" team on their worst day gets a better fit on their builds.

Once this became apparent I should have put it away and cracked on with HK's stuff but I became insanely curious (insane being the operative word here) as to just what Takom decided to release and stuck with it despite hours of frustration, bad language and an almost fatal obsession on not letting this thing beat me.

Now on the verge of completing this I find that despite the fit problems (it nearly ended up in a skip more than once) the kit does have some quite nice detail and if you spend ages on dry fitting and altering parts so they fit where they are meant to then a reasonable build can be obtained.

Not for the faint hearted this kit with so much to be altered to make it fit I just wonder why Takom decided to release this. The tractor unit is from another of Takoms kits and if I were Takom I would slap the design team up the side of the head and spend more time in not only research but also test building. There are some parts which should not have been provided in paper thin etched brass.

There are some nice touches such as the connector unit for the trailer being 4 way moveable... not easy to build but works. as is the dashboard decals.

Apart from the multiple fit problems it is not a bad kit really and with good references and alot of work a really nice rendition of this can be done. I would be interested to compare this to Trumpeter's MAZ and trailer build. while a different tractor unit it is the same trailer and I would be interested in seeing how Trumpeter have approached the trailer.

If this is Tackom's best work then I won't be doing another for a very long time until their have learned their trade properly...... but there is that nice looiking twin 128mm Flak kit they have released that has caught my eye. I am not sure if I want to shell out the best side of £50 for it to be faced with multiple fit problems though.

Build pictures to follow.
Partwork Building is like meeting enemy action - no plan survives first contact!!
snapdragon
Colonel
Colonel

Postby chill » Mon Aug 24, 2015 9:42 pm

Bit harsh saying the designers need a slap. Im all for critique but maybe tone it down some what. Not constructive really saying such things.
Who cares who wins
chill
Major General
Major General

Postby snapdragon » Mon Aug 24, 2015 10:54 pm

What I actually mean is a NCIS Gibbs slap... a pay attention slap!

I could have mentioned a firing squad, but that's a bit too much.

This kit apart from the fit issues, as I have said, is a nice kit. All takom needs to do is to pay attention and test build more.

They have a very interesting kit, which is the 128mm Flak Zwilling.....

but given the fit issues I have had and the UK price of £53.99 (pocketbond RRP) I am not so sure, although if I can get a really cheap Ebay price then.... probably. I will be an interesting build if nothing else!
snapdragon
Colonel
Colonel

Postby chill » Tue Aug 25, 2015 5:50 am

Yes a so called firing squad is too much.

As i said constructive critique is better. A better worded complaint is better rather than a verbal slap
Who cares who wins
chill
Major General
Major General

Return to Military Vehicles