Snaps Christmas Build 2015 - Takom Flak 40 Zwilling

Vehicles with tracks, guns or camouflage, etc.

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby snapdragon » Fri Dec 18, 2015 8:06 pm

Christmas build 2015 - Takom Flak 40 Zwilling

This is a recent release from Takom. They have some unusual subjects in their catalogue with some nice artillery pieces. Takom, However, have a reputation over fitting issues with their kits and I have already fallen fould of their Russian transport and tank trailer kit. The kit I got suffered not only from some very dodgy fit issues but lots of warped parts. this eventually finished up on the rubbish pile.

I am, however, giving Takom another chance with an unusual subject - Flak 40 Zwilling, Two 128mm Flak guns put together. These were usually seen mounted on the huge Flak towers in Berlin, Hamburg and Vienna and the kit paint references support this with colours referenced to MIG paints.

The official UK RRP is £53.99 and considering what is in the box, although it is quite a large kit is just a bit over the top. Pocketbond is known amongst modellers to have a high pricing policy so anything under the RRP is a good purchase for this kit.

The kit offers two bases. One with a "cement" base, referencing the Flak towers and one without, making it possible to mount this on a vehicle Chassis or railway wagons. It is a nice option to have and will make modellers think about diorama options.

There are quite a few parts on the sprues but one thing that you must keep in mind is that there in a left and right gun in this kit and so as a couple of sprues may look the same, they aren't so care must be exercised when building.

Most of the moulding is really good with some fine detailing apparent on some parts. Quite a few parts I have noticed have flash on them and so the wose modeller will check each part and cleqan up as needed.

Looking aaround the sprues and with a small etched fret providing some quite nice detailed foot frills for the platform this kit looks like it will make a very good representation of the Flak 40 Zwilling.

The decals are generic to Caesar Gun for the Flak towers with kill rings and some marking dials.

An addition in the bottom of the box corrects a mistake in the instructions. It is a slip of paper and can be easily missed. I am told that not following as this paper corrects will cause a problem with building this kit and certainly some builders on the net have fallen fowl of this!

Going through the instructions which are a computer isometric renderings similar to the 1/35 Dora Railway Gun from Soar Art there are some things which need to be done differently as there are moving parts on both guns but it looks like this build is not a really complex one - but it is a Takom kit and so it all comes down to how the parts fit together and this will be the make or break of this kit

James.
Partwork Building is like meeting enemy action - no plan survives first contact!!
snapdragon
Lietenant Colonel
Lietenant Colonel

Re: Snaps Christmas Build 2015 - Takom Flak 40 Zwilling

Postby casper » Sat Dec 19, 2015 9:11 am

Looks a really nice kits snaps, are you doing it in camouflage
casp
My Honda MP4/4 Build Diary
viewtopic.php?f=80&t=5208
casper
General
General

Postby snapdragon » Sat Dec 19, 2015 8:46 pm

Thanks Caspar. This will be done in bog standard Panzer Grey. I am using Vallejo Model Air primer as it comes in RAL 7021 Panzer Grey and it is how most of these flak guns were painted that were mounted on the Flak Towers.

I have already come across some fit issues, but they are minor and easily corrected with a very sharp blade.

Now the bits are ready for the paint shop. It's time to put the colour on this section which has taken stages 1-8 in the build manual. It also gives me chance to try out Xtreme metal's Stainless Steel which will be done over the panzer grey primer.

It has come out well. There will be some patching to do with the paint a little later from overspray of the metal paint but I am happy with how the metal paint looks and the colour of the stainless steel. It could be a paint most useful on armoured vehicles and aircraft engines.

Overall so far there have been one or two minor issues but nothing that can't be fixed with a knife or some filing/sanding paper. However I think that the fit of some parts could have been improved by a more precise moulding.

Another update shortly

James
Partwork Building is like meeting enemy action - no plan survives first contact!!
snapdragon
Lietenant Colonel
Lietenant Colonel

Postby snapdragon » Sun Dec 27, 2015 8:33 pm

Sorry about the lack of updates over the past few days.

I have been busy building, honest!

So to bring you all up to date....

It's now a case of the paint shop and assembly of sections plus some small stuff that has to go on last. There are fit problems. There are also parts that fit really well too. It's about 50/50 on this kit which is an improvement on their Kraz truck and trailer.

Takom are like trumpeter about 15 years ago or so. They were banging stuff out left right and centre with out taking time to get the kit properly sorted and this seems to be Takom's approach at the moment. They have some really interesting subjects and they should take time to get each kit done properly instead of the "it's close enough" approach. Still, for those who are willing to put in the extra time it will need to sort out the various fit problems then this kit can be a really good piece for the cabinet, if not for a diorama.

Next stop - Paint shop!
snapdragon
Lietenant Colonel
Lietenant Colonel

Postby snapdragon » Wed Dec 30, 2015 1:01 pm

Now it's time to get things put together.

First of all the main gun base needs a couple of parts on to finish it and then we can bolt on the rest!

Assembly of the rest.....

Once everything is in place and some parts thanks to the isometric CAD instructions (Those who have the Soar Art 1/35 Dora will know what I mean) are not easy to place and some fiddling needs to happen(fit problems rears it's ugly head again) to get things in place along with the odd bit of brute force this is finally finished.

It has taken longer than I wanted it to and that is just purely due to fit and instructions not being as clear as they should be. Also I would normally photograph the finished thing outside, but due to the weather here in Yorkshire at the moment taking stuff outside is not a very wise thing to do as the birds are either walking or clinging to branches and the squirrels are getting blown around the garden! Even the dogs are looking outside and saying.. walk? No (I must not use sligthly naughty words) way!

There we go!

I have noticed, as have several people who have built this that the two guns are not in alignment. One is always just slightly higher than the other despite all attempts at making them. This is a fundamental kit engineering and fit issue which goes back to F4, F5 & C5 (2) No matter how you line up with all the pistons showing the same etc, one of the guns will always sag slightly you can see it in the above pictures.

Takom have some nice and interesting subjects, but they are rushing things to the market and not taking time to check all the fits and alignments and make adjustments as needed. The moulding and detail of the parts are nice and really well done, but not enough care or testing is being done and that spoils the finished article.

Only tackle these kits if you can find them at a reasonable low price and you are up to a long haul of fit and corrections. If you are up to this then a nice kit can be done, but not for a competition table!
snapdragon
Lietenant Colonel
Lietenant Colonel

Postby steve131 » Wed Dec 30, 2015 6:51 pm

Great work Snapdragons especially on the breech :clap: anything German works for me. Was that a total Takom warning or just arty models :?: Did you use Panzer gray in the end ,on my tablet its very dark :?:
steve131
Colonel
Colonel

Postby snapdragon » Wed Dec 30, 2015 9:31 pm

Takom in general has fit warnings and flash all over their models. They are relatively new on the market and I don't think they have a proper understanding of what builders expect today in regards of moulding quality. Whilst what I have just build. It would have been the bees knees in the late 80's early 90's it's going to get a poor review now because of the flash and fit issues.

However, if you look beyond those issues and are prepared to put in lots of extra work to correct the fit and flash (a swipe with a sharp blade will fix the flash problems) then a decent finish will be the result. I just wonder if Takom are using older moulding technology.

With the colours, The breeches are AK's Xtreme Metal stainless steel directly onto the plastic with no primer. Like Vallejo's Metal Color It is not a hot product and with care, both ranges can produce results just as good as Alclad with out the problems of using a hot product which could melt your model.

The main paint used is Vallejo's Panzer Grey RAL 7021. This is a very dark grey and is an exact shade copy of an original chip. It is, as you can see much darker than most people think it is and up to 1943 ALL German ground vehicles and equipment were painted in this colour.

Since I moved to an airbrush all these paints have opened themselves up and the new metal ranges from AK and Vallejo take metal painting to the next level for me.
snapdragon
Lietenant Colonel
Lietenant Colonel

Return to Military Vehicles