Snaps 12 Days of Christmas Build - Trumpeter 1/35 S-51

Vehicles with tracks, guns or camouflage, etc.

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby snapdragon » Wed Dec 30, 2015 11:01 pm

Welcome to my 12 days of Christmas build.

I intended to start this on Christmas day and log work on a daily basis. However due to the Takom Flak 40 Zwilling taking a little longer than anticipated The build will start on New Years Eve instead.

The subject is Trumpeter's 1/35 Russian S-51 SPG which has been sitting in my stash for some time. There will be some upgrades to the kit regarding details, but the majority is an out of the box build. so the start date is the 31st December 2015 and the finish date 11January 2016

So, what did the Russians do to this?

It is a B4 203mm artillery piece mounted on a modified KV 1S Chassis. It successfully completed trials but never entered production and was only ever a prototype. I don't know if it still exists today or not. The kit is a 2014 release and the parts are free from flash and there is some fine moulding.

The tracks are going to be replaced by these...

It might say IS on the box but they match the kit ones.

Left and right in separate bags with wire to join them! They will look miles better than the plastic ones.

I did remove two parts to check on a barrel replacement

The kit barrel is nicely done and would look brilliant when build and the seams removed, but I always like a good metal replacement if possible and this is either RB or Aber I can't remember, but probably RB productions. I have some 12000 grit paper and will give it a rub over so paint sticks.

some parts have extra packing...

Nice road wheels. AK's Xtreme Metal Stainless Steel will look nice on the rims.

A couple of generic soviet flag things on the decal sheet, some etched parts including a grille and two different sizes of string to make towing wire and cable. Maybe I might just replace them!

Overall a nice kit and should build up to make a good representation. For those who play World of Tanks you know how formidable this vehicle is in game when you are on the wrong side of a 203mm shell!

I will be sticking to an all over 4BO colour.
Partwork Building is like meeting enemy action - no plan survives first contact!!
snapdragon
Lietenant Colonel
Lietenant Colonel

Re: Snaps 12 Days of Christmas Build - Trumpeter 1/35 S-51

Postby snapdragon » Thu Dec 31, 2015 4:17 pm

Here we are with day 1

Building the KV-1S base.

The bench gremlin has nabbed one of the idler wheel supports and I have not been able to recover it as yet. Still, that part and associated idler wheel can really go on at any time as it is easily accessible. This is the base to work off now and so time to work on the road wheels, mounts and other items. There has been a couple of parts pulled forwards, but it makes sense painting wise!
Partwork Building is like meeting enemy action - no plan survives first contact!!
snapdragon
Lietenant Colonel
Lietenant Colonel

Postby steve131 » Fri Jan 01, 2016 12:08 am

Nice model and AM goodies, like to get some Russian armour myself.
steve131
Colonel
Colonel

Postby snapdragon » Sat Jan 02, 2016 6:32 pm

Thanks steve

The build continues at warp speed (for me!)

Here's the latest updates.

RB productions Metal barrel is a direct replacement for the kit one and no modifications are needed at all. Very nice and with a rub over from some 12000 grit should take primer and paint nicely.

The rest of the barrel is added, but some parts are dry fitted and will be removed painted and replaced. It's just for easiness.

Everything I made Yesterday has been moved to the paint shop..... here it is!

Next stop... Friul tracks! :shock:
snapdragon
Lietenant Colonel
Lietenant Colonel

Postby steve131 » Tue Jan 05, 2016 5:15 pm

How goes this :?:
steve131
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Mark » Tue Jan 05, 2016 5:46 pm

Hope it wasn't stopped in its tracks :laughing-rolling:
Cheers
Mark

If you nose runs and your feet smell, you're upside down !
Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby snapdragon » Thu Jan 07, 2016 2:22 pm

Sorry about the delay, chaps!

Rogue idler wheel mount has been duly retrieved thanks to a combined ops/seal team six/SAS/bribery assault on the bench gremlin and duly applied to hull!

Most of the main painting has been done and assembly recommenced. Tracks are well underway and as I start on the second set my mind turns to painting them.

Tracks: one with horn, one without!

Paint and wheels applied but by bit. The standard colour for these vehicles was 4B0 which in actual fact is a very dark green.

Upper hull mount for the B4 howitzer applied.

B4 howitzer painted.

and put onto its mount

There is some more detail to be added to the B4 howitzer and the KV hull, but not until the tracks are applied..... I'm on that (and the new Midsomer murders too! That's this update done!
snapdragon
Lietenant Colonel
Lietenant Colonel

Postby Mark » Thu Jan 07, 2016 4:57 pm

Looking very nice James :D
Cheers
Mark

Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby steve131 » Thu Jan 07, 2016 5:53 pm

I've said it before but metal barrels better x million than plastic split in half :evil: ,must get some 1/35 for my Tigers if I can stretch the pennies :violin: .As ever great work Snapdragons :clap: waiting for your 1/16 Panzer build :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :dance:
steve131
Colonel
Colonel

Postby snapdragon » Thu Jan 07, 2016 8:18 pm

Have to get one first!
snapdragon
Lietenant Colonel
Lietenant Colonel

Postby steve131 » Fri Jan 08, 2016 8:53 am

snapdragon wrote:Have to get one first!

:oops: Thought you had an iv ,must be on your wish list ( defo on mine ,your more likely to get it though ). Enjoying your build ,you always get nice kits .See your iv in the future 8-)
steve131
Colonel
Colonel

Postby snapdragon » Fri Jan 08, 2016 2:37 pm

Trumpeter has a raft of 1/16 kits on the way. They are all on my most wanted list.

They have already a few on the market including a massive Tiger II with both Initial and series turrets in one box (no metal barrels though - Although these were in the original limited edition releases.

They panzer IV range stands, at the moment with the Ausf H (0920) & J(0921). There is also a J command tank (0922) in the catalogue for this year and an F version due march time I think (0919).

Also in their catalogue is a T-72B Mod 1985 (0924) & T-72 Mod 1986 (0925). Appearing also is 2 Abrahms tanks the M1A1 AIM (00926) and M1A2 SEP (0927).

A Welcome surprise for Tank fans in the 1/16 full interior range is 2 Panzer V Panther G and Panther G-Late (0926 & 0927).

Trumpeter also had on their facebook pictures of a test shot of a 1/16 Jagdtiger with full interior. It seemed pretty much ready to me, but it isn't in their catalogue for 2016-17. It might make a surprise appearance for next Christmas, but don't hold your breath. Tiger Tank Guru David Parker had some things to say over the photos so maybe it has been delayed while corrections are made. Who Knows!

Still, there are no release dates for the Panthers, Abrams and T-72's but we do have 4 Panzer IV's to tackle this year - among the rest of the range! It will be interesting to see what is on the Trumpeter stand at the Toy fair in February at Nurenburg
snapdragon
Lietenant Colonel
Lietenant Colonel

Postby steve131 » Fri Jan 08, 2016 5:08 pm

:think: Panther got to go in your stash Snapdragon ,you can do a mini version of your real Panther .list is awesome would have them all if pennies :violin: and SWMBO allows :naughty:
steve131
Colonel
Colonel

Postby snapdragon » Fri Jan 08, 2016 5:59 pm

get a coffee jar and throw spare change in at the end of the week or a couple of quid left over from a night out. It soon adds up and with the £ against the Euro being quite good there are some nice discounts available through Ebay from some model shops in Germany - even with postage applied!

Be nice to SWMBO. Go shopping with her, take to the cinema to see that horrendous Romcom..... let her see you looking at the Panzer IV in a local shop window and then turn away with a sign and say... "Very nice! Cheaper on Ebay though!"

I am actually preparing for the B-17 G Fortress build and getting the AM parts I need to make it a stunning build.

I have already got Eduards Big Ed Set part 1 with all the interior parts. I could start but still need the Resin Guns, some styrene rod, replacement ammo feeds, decals and paints. Given time, I have some really nice builds lined up for this year. Just need to get the AM parts for them!
snapdragon
Lietenant Colonel
Lietenant Colonel

Postby snapdragon » Sat Jan 09, 2016 11:46 pm

And another update.

Things are heading towards the finish with this update. It's just a case of putting all the bits together, adding one or two last bits a quick tough up with the airbrush and it's done.

Here's the munition rails. it's where the shells and charges were lifted on to. They could be folded onto the back of the chassis during movement.

Tracks ready for the paint shop. You can't leave them in white metal!

Painted with Vallejo steel (Metal Color range) a mist coat of Dull Aluminium (same range) and a covering of Gloss metal varnish from Vallejo's Metal Color range.

Just makes the tracks look right.

More paint applied

tracks applied

Track guards fixed.

Put it all together, a touch up trip in the paint shop and.......

FINISHED!

There we go. started December 31 with photographing the kit. Finished January 9th!

Who looses the bet? :D
snapdragon
Lietenant Colonel
Lietenant Colonel

Postby Mark » Mon Jan 11, 2016 6:05 am

Very nice James. It you don't mind me saying, the track, perhaps could do with being a little darker ? However, it's a small point, and she looks very good as she is.
Cheers
Mark

Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby steve131 » Mon Jan 11, 2016 6:54 pm

:clap: Great work Snapdragons like the track slack, shows yet again AM goodies enhance x million :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
steve131
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Gundog » Mon Jan 11, 2016 7:35 pm

snapdragon wrote:Trumpeter has a raft of 1/16 kits on the way. They are all on my most wanted list.

There is also a J command tank (0922) in the catalogue for this year.

It's already landed Snap :clap:

https://www.emodels.co.uk/trumpeter-1-1 ... l-kit.html
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Benjamin Franklin

Building: Hachette Bismarck, DeAgostini Sovereign of the Seas, 74 Sqn. tribute, Tamiya 1/32 Mosquito FBVI

In the stash: Way too much
Gundog
Major
Major

Postby Gundog » Mon Jan 11, 2016 7:36 pm

Gundog wrote:
snapdragon wrote:Trumpeter has a raft of 1/16 kits on the way. They are all on my most wanted list.

There is also a J command tank (0922) in the catalogue for this year.

It's already landed Snap :clap:

https://www.emodels.co.uk/trumpeter-1-1 ... l-kit.html

Oh, a k for this one. Lovely job.
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Benjamin Franklin

Building: Hachette Bismarck, DeAgostini Sovereign of the Seas, 74 Sqn. tribute, Tamiya 1/32 Mosquito FBVI

In the stash: Way too much
Gundog
Major
Major

Return to Military Vehicles