Trumpeter 1/16 Panzer IV H Command Version

Vehicles with tracks, guns or camouflage, etc.

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby snapdragon » Wed Jun 22, 2016 12:10 am

Time to start putting up the build on here.

Over the past few days I have been busy both on the workbench and paint shop. While not as big as the Tiger II and the forthcoming Jagdtiger this kit is just as comples without adding any aftermarket parts (some will appear at some point during the build.

My main problem was where to start. Officially it's the engine and interior that you start with according to the instructions and as I was still working out just what the original engine colour was and with the build actually being fairly modular I decided to start with the exterior of the tank with the running gear.

Originally my plan was to paint the exterior in very late war three tone camouflage and so ordered in a set from AK which has the 3 late war colours in:

RAL 7028 - DG III Dunkelgelb which is a very pale cream/yellow
RAL 6011B Resedagrun
RAL 8017 Schokobraun

It also says "New Formula" on the bottles and it is formulated for airbrushes direct from the bottle.

Eager to try these colours out and to see just how closely they matched to original paint chips I sacrificed a plastic spoon to the great white paint god and tried out the yellow which would be the base coat. Despite a dam good shake and stir for 10 minutes the paint was really runny on application and tended to cover in blotches. some areas of the spoon would have really nice coverage while others runny and streaky with the paint suddenly turning like water and then spitting clumps out of the airbrush.

The actual colours look close to the original (AK use Scale Shading on their range) and I did notice that the other two colours (not used as yet) acted the same. Despite the same shaking etc, the pigment seemed to settle down to the bottom quite quickly with not much suspension being there.

Not really wanting to have to start sorting this out and setting me back ages I have put these colours to one side and am using Vallejo Model Air for the majority of this build, apart from metals which will be AK's Extreme Metal range. The colours I will use are the original 3 tone 1943 colours which are in Vallejo's range as well as the colours inside as specified under 1942 RAL Codes and German painting instructions for these colours in 1943, modified slightly for 1944/45 late war application.

You may think that some of the colours I use (especially RAL 1001) I apply are wrong, but they are correct shades for that period!

So I started with building up the wheels and gathering the components for the running gear and suspension. There are left and right components and they are quite easy to make out if you are careful. Also there are inner and outer wheels. They have differences and so once built cam be distinguished.

That's all the road wheels, inner and outer along with the tyres. The tyres are not rubber and feel slightly different to the rest of the plastic in the box. They are ready for the paint shop.

Next up are the springs. They are in two halves and eight are needed - 4 per side.

Next we have to gather up all the rest of the running gear. There's many parts to paint!

Some parts are built as it makes them easier to paint and some not, to be assembled later.

All those go in a box to go through the paint shop. The tyres will be painted NATO black to resemble rubber, the Springs painted Xtreme Metal Steel while everything else is RAL 7028 (1943).

Next post.... putting it all together!
Partwork Building is like meeting enemy action - no plan survives first contact!!
snapdragon
Colonel
Colonel

Re: Trumpeter 1/16 Panzer IV H Command Version

Postby Mark » Wed Jun 22, 2016 12:56 am

Good start James, keep it up :clap:
Cheers
Mark

If you nose runs and your feet smell, you're upside down !
Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby steve131 » Wed Jun 22, 2016 4:26 pm

Great work as ever ,can't say I've heard of some of the Later Ral colours your using glad you doing this build so my knowledge has been improved. 8-)
steve131
Colonel
Colonel

Postby snapdragon » Wed Jun 22, 2016 8:15 pm

Thanks guys for your comments. They help to keep the build going!

I may, later on sacrifice some spoons to the great white colour god and do a post on RAL colours used by the German Army. I don't have them all as yet, but may invest.

Moving on, I have spent quite a while in the paint shop with the paints and come out with a set of parts looking very.... Yellow! It was common practice just to leave the base coat on the running gear and not add any other camouflage colour as it was deemed that rotating yellow green and brown wheels would be more easily seen moving about than one colour. Not All units followed this and many vehicles did have three tone wheels. Quite often vehicles were delivered to units just in the base coat and units used a diluted paste and either sprayed or brushed on camouflage according to local conditions so vary rarely did any vehicle look the same. When doing this in the field, maintenance units used either water or fuel to dilute the paste which also altered the actual shade dependent on the chemical reaction, fuel having the most reaction and making the shade lighter than the original chipsets. These paints were lead based while the ones used now on rebuilt vehicles are non- lead based.

Carrying on with the build....

After the painting session over 2 days, my plastic parts holder is full!

Time to finish off the road wheels by adding the "Rubber" tyres!

Also glue the inner and outer wheels together

Moving on, it's time to put the suspension etc together. Here's all the components for one. I did miss 2 parts out! :oops:

Let's put it together

Only another 7 to go! :laughing-rolling:

Let's lay them all out making sure that nothing is mixed up between left and right.

Time to build!

There we go! All the road wheels are done and ready to be fixed on!

More next time
Partwork Building is like meeting enemy action - no plan survives first contact!!
snapdragon
Colonel
Colonel

Postby steve131 » Sun Jun 26, 2016 1:22 pm

Was surfing net last night and came across a 2008 review of Trumpeter King Tiger by your good self ,sadly no pictures but good review . Totes uber welljell says you had two of the beasts :o :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: how did you get on \enjoy them :?: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: Interesting to see even back then you wanted a Hunting Tiger and they have listened to you . :clap: :dance:
steve131
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Mark » Mon Jun 27, 2016 10:25 am

Looking wheely good !!! (sorry :oops: )
Cheers
Mark

Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Gundog » Mon Jun 27, 2016 11:20 am

Paul's corner beckons Mark!
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Benjamin Franklin

Building: Hachette Bismarck, DeAgostini Sovereign of the Seas, 74 Sqn. tribute, Tamiya 1/32 Mosquito FBVI

In the stash: Way too much
Gundog
Major
Major

Postby snapdragon » Tue Jun 28, 2016 12:42 pm

Steve, I have had to take the photos down from my Photobucket account as it's getting a bit full.

The kits unfortunately haven't survived some international trips and a few combat zones as at that particular time I was still serving and was regularly sent out on active service. All I can say was A Trumpeter Tiger II does not survive a direct hit from a mortar shell!

Now that I'm (forcibly) retired with a Dicky Ticker I am looking at replacing that kit with the 2 in one Tiger II if I can find a really good and tempting price. The kit comes with 2 turrets, the initial (Porsche) and serial (Henschel) turrets, but at this moment in time I am not sure if it is possible to build both turrets or a choice of one. I am happy that there is a Jagdtiger coming out and should be floating around from about October. This is very much on my list and would be a very nice Birthday/Christmas present. I wonder what prices would be like at Telford for these beasts.

I would be happy to come away from Telford with ZM's Latest Dornier 335 A, Trumpeter's Tiger II and Jagditger and their 1/48 U-boat. I think that I can just about manage to carry that lot!

Of course, I will be keeping my eyes on Ebay Germany as there are some good prices for trumpeter's big stuff at the moment despite the money markets running round screaming and waving their hands in the air. I need to just save up and let the dust settle!

I do have some more pictures to put up, but I will have to do that later.
snapdragon
Colonel
Colonel

Postby steve131 » Tue Jun 28, 2016 6:37 pm

:drool: That's a nice shopping list not a bad one there :dance: Careful you don't get a hernia carrying that load :| . 50\50 Got to admit do love explosions and would be fun to see if a KT would survive a mortar Shell :lol: but other fifty percent gutted because its a cracking kit :( be on you tube nowadays ,get load of hits (pun intended ) :lol: :laughing-rolling:
steve131
Colonel
Colonel

Postby snapdragon » Sun Jul 03, 2016 1:26 pm

My shopping list is forever changing! :laughing-rolling:

Now for an update. I am sorry for the length of time, but I have been doing some paint tests with some MIG paint sets and comparing them to Vallejo's Colours which are the original RAL colours, not the modern colour range. There is a very noticeable difference between the two with MIG's RAL 1812 being nowhere close to the original primer coat... Less about this as I will post about this in a separate thread. I was originally going to do this model in late war shades but Vallejo doesn't cover them in their paint range and the MIG ones have turned up a little late, so although this is a late war Panzer I will be sticking to the mid war paint codes from Vallejo. I am hoping to be able to get my hands on the F2 variant in 1/16 in the not too distant future and that I have already decided will be a DAK Panzer. I have discovered a site that has some correction parts for the Panzer IV, they are a little expensive and I probably will get some to use on the F2 Variant, but this one (the J command variant, not H as I mistakenly put :angry-banghead: ) apart from the MG34 barrels are heading towards me from Germany at a good price but ridiculous DHL Registered packet tracked etc price on top. The Barrels (aber) were 8 Euros Each (give or take a little change) and the DHL a staggering 12.50 Euros. No alternative postage options on the website! Still this website has some interesting 1/16 upgrades which may be useful in the future and so I may have to suck up the price and live with it!

I have been busy with building and have put most of the detail on the lower hull. This includes bolt heads that will not be seen and the base yellow coat.

Some item need painting separately before adding. I also built some of the interior components and added detail prior to a mammoth painting session which is planned to take in most of the interior and exterior base coats.

Dry fits were done to mark out paint lines and much research and reading has been done!

Tracks have been built and dry fitted to exterior racks etc to make sure of fitment before painting. Tracks will be painted Xtreme metal steel.

Aber do a set of metal pins and wire to replace the plastic pins in the kit but at £105 plus postage it's not a replacement that I have opted for. If you are careful enough with clean up etc then the kit link pins are fine. I did break and bend a couple but was stull able to use them without any effect on the track movability. The only thing missing is the "S" shaped wire fastening that would be visible on the track exterior to stop the pin coming loose and the track breaking. The Aber set provides for this, but it is a very expensive upgrade.

Track link dry fitted in place to check placement of fixtures.

Front part of lower hull exterior built and fitment of track section tried out

Main track length and separates done and ready for painting.... this took a couple of days to get through with 99 links per side (according to the instruction book). Actual fitting to decide correct length to allow for sag. Some of the painting has been done with one set of main tracks taking two days to paint over a few sessions - photos later when the rest is done! :D

Next up is the turret basket and upper turret inside detail plus door hinges. I was planning on drilling out the hinges on the doors etc and feeding a small metal pin through to make them work, but the hinges are either too long for the drill bit or already moulded into places where it is not easy or impossible to drill correctly. Plan foiled and Hatches and doors will be either glued open after camouflage painting or just dropped in place and not glued so they can be removed or posed open for display.

Dry fit

Main gun and lower turret/turret basket. I have chosen to mount the aluminium barrel that comes with the kit (no brainer there! :laughing-rolling: ) and built the items for the gun, lower turret and basket. There are a couple of items still to be added to the breech, but they need painting first. Everything is dry fitted to make sure that it all foes together before painting.

Finally the gear box is built and is ready to paint. Only the drivers dials are to build and paint. This needs to be a different colour to the gear box and there are decals to be fitted.

Questions and comments please - more when the airbrush needs a rest!
snapdragon
Colonel
Colonel

Postby steve131 » Sun Jul 03, 2016 4:35 pm

:clap: A lot of work done there ,explains the absence . Colour just Brings it to life ,shame about hinges . :think: Thinking about another iv UBER welljell :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
steve131
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Mark » Mon Jul 04, 2016 2:03 pm

Looking good James, you're making great progress. I don't think you'd ever have got those hinges drilled out, far too deep for a hair's thickness drill.
Even the Hachette etched hinges on their 1/16 Tiger were a devil to make, and didn't work perfectly unless you got them absolutely spot on (I didn't, quite... they wouldn't stay down but sprung up a little. In the end I glued them down with PVA after taking photos to prove that they did actually work.)
Cheers
Mark

Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby snapdragon » Sun Jul 31, 2016 2:48 pm

Since my last post on the Panzer IV there has been much movement but the main disruption was my computer developing a power switch short and frying my hard drive.

However, I have been lucky that all my photos were still on my camera card and so there will be lots of photos on this post and little text. Mind you, they say a picture is worth a thousand words!

The only upgrade I am doing is to replace the barrels on the MG 34 MG's. it's an easy upgrade and once done and painted will look good.

I needed to see how the MG's fitted so that I didn't mess it all up. In the end it was easy and a good upgrade with better detail. they'll be one of the last things to go on.

While waiting for the superglue to cure properly I decided to make use of the time and masked off periscopes and viewing ports ready for painting. There are no mask sets available on the market or in the kit so it's hand done on the fly with a very sharp scalpel blade and some finger sucking!

Back to the MG 34's and a dry fit of some of the auxiliary equipment to make sure that everything fits as it should

Dry fits of the extra armour on the turret took place as well as foot grills

The engine was built up in separate components ready for painting and final assembly.

A test fit on the painted floor into the already painted lower hull. Once it's been built up and get's fitted properly there will be the need for some clamping to make sure that everything is in the right place!

Let's get some parts on the floor and start making it look like a tank! first of all the turret mount base.

Battery added.

Gearbox mounts.

rear firewall painted and fixed in place.

Front face of the turret mount base fitted and painted.

rear part of the gearbox in place and painted up.

Gear box fitted.

At this stage, because I couldn't get a true definition of the paint colours due to lighting and flash I took this section outside and using just natural daylight.....

There you go, Authentic Tank interior colours!

I built up the lower hull shell stowages next.

Dry fit

Made the shells up... some don't fit well and are tight while others just drop in no problems. I have considered replacing them with Abers shell sets, but I would need quite a lot and they are expensive so I am making do.

All the lower hull shell racks. They will be emptied, painted and finished.

generator built and painted.

Engine built up and fitted to rear compartment alongside generator. I don't have any extra piping detailing, so it can stay as it is.

This section is still not ready to go into the lower hull, but we're getting there. That's all for now!
snapdragon
Colonel
Colonel

Postby number1 » Sun Jul 31, 2016 9:27 pm

Excellent job there, will you be adding a bit of dirt and grime to the engine etc? Shame the brass parts on top of the shells looks slightly to big but as you said it would cost a fortune to replace them, I'm tempted to get one of the Takom 1/16 renault tanks :think:
number1
Lietenant Colonel
Lietenant Colonel

Postby casper » Mon Aug 01, 2016 7:35 pm

Nice work snaps :clap: :clap: detail is excellent
the guns look amazing with the brass barrels, well worth doing.
casp
My Honda MP4/4 Build Diary
viewtopic.php?f=80&t=5208
casper
General
General

Postby steve131 » Tue Aug 02, 2016 8:01 pm

Excellent work .
steve131
Colonel
Colonel

Postby tigerace » Thu Aug 04, 2016 2:44 pm

Brilliant work on this one ,i have two of these panzer 1v`s and the two turrets option tiger 2 in my stash they are excellent kits and well worth the money regards Tigerace :D
Built Bismark! building= Hood,Tigertank,Lancaster,Titanic , Akagi and U96 cheers tigerace
tigerace
Colour Sergeant
Colour Sergeant

Postby snapdragon » Sat Aug 27, 2016 10:15 pm

Time for an update.

I am sorry about the length of time, but research into a fascinating kit for HKM has taken a little longer than thought. Well I have been researching several things, but you will have to wait for HKM to announce them. Sorry.

However, their B-17 E/F is about to be let loose and one will be winging it's way direct to my doorstep. Once it is here, expect a close up examination in the usual forum section. I also have been into the hospital for some tests doing etc and that has taken full days to do as well as taking the time out with the good weather to get out and about on the motorbike just to let the good Yorkshire weather blow through me and get rid of that hospital smell and get my brain back onto track.

The Panzer IV is starting yo look like one..... Here's the proof!

Shell stowage racks

The turret basket is together with all the parts in place

Drive gear in place.

Front armour and glacis in place and stuck down. I did want this piece of armour to be removable, but after a few hours of dry fitting and mock assembly it wouldn't have worked.

Not worth painting the drive assembly cogs....

because the final drive covers them all up!

Most interior things are in there now, just a few pieces that have gone astray or still need painting.

More next time.

James
snapdragon
Colonel
Colonel

Postby steve131 » Sun Aug 28, 2016 2:48 pm

Lovely work Snapdragon ,soon be ready for Operation Red Beard .love the detail of drive coq wheels. Welljell :mrgreen: K awarded :clap:
steve131
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Mark » Wed Aug 31, 2016 9:28 am

Coming on very nicely James :clap:
Cheers
Mark

Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Next

Return to Military Vehicles