12 Days of Christmas build 2016 - 1/35 Panzerhaubitz 2000

Vehicles with tracks, guns or camouflage, etc.

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby snapdragon » Mon Dec 26, 2016 2:04 pm

Here we go with my 12 days of Christmas build.

Starting from today I have 12 days to build and complete Mengs' 1/35 Panzerhaubitz 2000 SPA. With this first instalment You see the contents of the kit box.

I am sorry for any fuzzy or shaky pictures but this is due to an affluence of inkerhol imbibed Yesterday during family celebrations :laughing-rolling:

There are a couple of things to note. Meng is STILL putting bits of string in to make up towing cables :angry-banghead: The tracks are working snap together affairs and with this offering you get a metal barrel!

Unlike their French AUF-1 SPA there is no internal detail so although some hatches can be opened it's not worth it as there is nothing to see. Also there is some delicate painting to do with transparent paints :roll: which are never the easiest to work with.

It is nice to see a company providing a metal barrel in a kit as well as working suspension and tracks. and there are very few AM items out there for this particular kit. in fact, after a search around the web only friul tracks have some AM metal tracks for this kit. and as the tracks in the kit are fully working then what's the point. It is the first kit that I haven't spent any extra dosh on AM parts!

So, on we go. the first bit I am going to deal with is the main gun as we need to get to grips with superglue and it looks like it may be the most complicated part of the build! The decals and instructions cover 5 vehicles. 3 of Germany's artillery school and SPA regiments, one of the Dutch Army and one of the Greek Army with alternate parts to build the slightly differeing versions which means that you have to pay close attention to every step and read first, understand and then build.

Look out for another update.
Partwork Building is like meeting enemy action - no plan survives first contact!!
snapdragon
Lietenant Colonel
Lietenant Colonel

Re: 12 Days of Christmas build 2016 - 1/35 Panzerhaubitz 2000

Postby Mark » Mon Dec 26, 2016 4:08 pm

Nice looking kit James. Nice to see an oob build as well. More and more kits are including fully working tracks these days. There must have been some improvements in moulding technology to make it practical.

Watching with interest as this kit is on my hit list too.
Cheers
Mark

If you nose runs and your feet smell, you're upside down !
Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby chill » Mon Dec 26, 2016 11:22 pm

Cant wait to see this one finished
Who cares who wins
chill
Major General
Major General

Postby steve131 » Mon Dec 26, 2016 11:39 pm

Very nice looking kit 8-) .Will enjoy this build, photos were ok, assume you didn't indulge with the glass melting tipple ( sounds very interesting :think: )
steve131
Colonel
Colonel

Postby snapdragon » Tue Dec 27, 2016 8:34 pm

With my brain plugged in correctly and installed facing forwards (for a change :laughing-rolling: ) My intention was just to put the main gun together and put Vallejos NATO Green primer on it.

However, it wasn't as complex as I thought it would be and I just kept going, closing the build workshop at midnight last night after the rubber band in the brain had fully unwound and gone slack! I di get a lot done including 99% of the turret and 99% of the lower hull running gear instalment.

This Kit from Meng (there is a slightly newer version which has extra armour added) just seems to fall together with absolutely no fit problems whatsoever and the moulding is exquisite.

Here's the pictures I took

The muzzle brake is a masterpiece of design and moulding and is just so detailed it puts Meng right up there with the top guys. No need for any changes to this whatsoever!

The turret is quick and easy. No problems apart from being careful removing the small and thin stuff from the sprues. Mengs plastic is quite hard so don't cut the parts closr. leefe a little of the gate on and trim with a new blade.

The lower hull is really easy and quick to do. Just the torsion bar suspension to add once they're painted.

There we go. No drama or anything so far. I did get more done than I envisaged. The build moves on!
Partwork Building is like meeting enemy action - no plan survives first contact!!
snapdragon
Lietenant Colonel
Lietenant Colonel

Postby snapdragon » Tue Jan 03, 2017 2:35 pm

Time for another update.

I was going to do this a couple of days ago but I was up to my ears with track links and also away for New Year.

The main parts have been into the paint shop and given a primer coat of NATO Green from Vallejo. I have a very large bottle of this and it is somewhat of a relief to start using it. Must do more NATO vehicles this year! :D

First of all, the rear of the vehicle is built and attached and then the entire of the lower hull is primed.

Drive sprocket, roadwheels (carefully brush painted rubber) and idler wheel attached on the left side. O am still waiting for the updated Meng kit to arrive so I can scavange it for the right hand side idler wheel mount after it sailed off into the unknown and not mapped areas of my hobby room. The one from the new kit will be used and a new one sourced direct from Meng.

Turret painted and smoke launchers/part of gun mantlet attatched. Main gun is still to mount yet, but there are extra things to go onto the turret.

Now for the tracks. This is something Mark wanted to know about and so I have taken quite a few pictures which will show the build process.

The manual says to do 98. I have found that on my model 96 fits fine but it is worth taking the extra time to fit. The tracks are fully flexible working once together and it is best to make and join up an entire length. It is easy to put them on fully linked and as they need no glue whatsoever then it is easy to always fit another track link.

There is a small jig to help build.

The tracks consist of 3 pieces

They go together like this:

Guide horn into the hole.

Bar link section

outer track link with rubber pad (there is a sprue with a metal cleat on one side if you want to do a winter track).

Tracks completed and ready to go into the paint shop.

This is the time consuming part of the build are the assembly and track painting part. It is the preparation of the individual parts, assembly and final painting as the rubber track pads will have to be done individually by paint brush. A very dark iron/ metal black paint will be used for the tracks to replicate the oil bath they go through to provide protection from the elements. That bit is reasonably quick with an airbrush. the matt rubber pads will provide a good contrast when done and take the time!

That's all for now. Time to complete the turret and start on the upper hull.

James
snapdragon
Lietenant Colonel
Lietenant Colonel

Postby wingnut » Tue Jan 03, 2017 5:34 pm

Hello James, looking good ! great quality pics, enjoying the build :clap: you must have some patients to build those tracks.
Cheers Mike.
Coming second place makes you the fastest loser.
wingnut
Captain
Captain

Postby steve131 » Tue Jan 03, 2017 10:10 pm

Great work Snapdragon.
steve131
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Mark » Sat Jan 07, 2017 6:15 am

Tracks look good James
Cheers
Mark

Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby snapdragon » Sat Jan 07, 2017 4:45 pm

Thanks for all the kind comments guys and gals!

The replacement kit has turned up and it does mean an overrun by a day. The appropriate part has been acquired and applied.

Here we go with the last post.

Etched and plastic detail added.

Here we have the replacement part from the Newer version of the kit. It is in a sand beige colour to represent one of 3 that was sent out to Afghanistan. I will photograph this kit and put it in the reviews section.

the entire thing goes back into the paintshop for a second all over NATO green base coat before the camo is applied.

Here's the complete painted lower hull and tracks in place.

Once all the camo painting is completed and the upper and lower halves are joined it looks like this.

It is not a hard build at all. it is very easy to put together once you decide on one of the 5 versions in the box. It is quite a quick build as there is no interior and although you can pose hatches open there's no point as there is no interior. It is the tracks that take the time in this kit, but as they are push together fully working links etc. then the time taken to clean up and join is well worth it. I used 96 on each side while the instructions say 98. I could have done it in under 12 days, but with me loosing a vital lower hull component then it had a knock on effect.

The only hard thing for me was placing the main gun into the turret. It is quite a hard fit so with the gun being able to move it is worth taking extra time here and just dry fitting a couple of times.

It's a good representation of Germanys main artillery piece and has some superb moulded detail. All we need is a release with the interior and like their Bradley kits then it would be a superb kit. Recommended for big gun fans.
snapdragon
Lietenant Colonel
Lietenant Colonel

Postby wingnut » Sat Jan 07, 2017 5:46 pm

Hello, nice job James, looks amazing :clap:
Cheers Mike.
Coming second place makes you the fastest loser.
wingnut
Captain
Captain

Postby steve131 » Sat Jan 07, 2017 10:16 pm

Excellent work Snapdragons 8-) :clap:
steve131
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Mark » Wed Feb 08, 2017 3:09 pm

Oops, missed this one - nice job James. It looks very good now its finished. Well done :clap: :clap: :clap:
Cheers
Mark

Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby casper » Fri Feb 10, 2017 10:29 am

Agree :clap: :clap: great job snaps, love the camo
casp
My Honda MP4/4 Build Diary
viewtopic.php?f=80&t=5208
casper
General
General