Trumpeter 1/16 Jagdtiger

Vehicles with tracks, guns or camouflage, etc.

Trumpeter 1/16 Jagdtiger

Sponsor

Sponsor

Trumpeter 1/16 Jagdtiger

Postby snapdragon » Tue Feb 07, 2017 6:26 pm

Starting this is not for the faint hearted.

Yes.... I have started to put parts together and priming them and photos will be put up later.

However, my more immediate perblem is the ammunition. The Pak 44/80 fired 2 types but Trumpeter has chosen to include just one type but a full complete set. Because of the size this is two part ammunition with separate charge and shot. Trumpeter are very hit and miss on their paint call outs and a search around the net has pulled up this.

Let's get one thing settled. The Germans never used brass for their shell casings as it was always in short supply and instead used parkerised steel. The colour I am going to use on the charge case is Xtreme Metal White Aluminium which should make for nice looking cases. The priming for this is now ongoing.

The shell Trumpeter has provided is the one on the left in the picture and I am not quite sure of the actual colour as there are several photos of this ammunition around the net with various exposures showing either a dark grey colour or a grey with a greenish cast to it.

Can anyone help with the actual main body colour??

Also Trumpeter have provided no decals for either charge or shot markings. Not to worry though. There may be some at Peddinghaus if I go searching their website!

I will post some work in progress stuff a little later on.
Partwork Building is like meeting enemy action - no plan survives first contact!!
snapdragon
Lietenant Colonel
Lietenant Colonel

Re: Trumpeter 1/16 Jagdtiger

Postby snapdragon » Wed Feb 08, 2017 2:14 pm

Here we go!

I have been jumping around a bit and doing lots of dry fits especially to the very large parts to try and work out if there is going to be some potential problems and how they can be mitigated. There may be some slight fit issues with the front armour around the gun which may involve clamping etc to get a proper tight fit. I was hoping that this part would drop into place so gluing would not be needed and I could make it removable to display more of the interior and the main gun mount. Sadly this maybe will not be the case, but once the side inner armour is glued in place and not held by tape and we are much further into the build, we'll see what can be done.

The workshop and paint shop have been busy with building and priming. I am lucky that Vallejo have in their primer range nice 60ml bottles of the correct colour for this project with the red brown RAL8012 as it does kill two birds with one coat! I have also found, that rather than the white insignis called out by the instructions is not only incorrect but the grey primer in the Vallejo range is just the right shade for use as the interior colour for this project. Also available in 60lk bottle. believe me, folks that there is quite a lot of acreage to cover in this beast.

However, RAL 6003, the base coat from January 1945 is not available in the primer range and so, although I have a bottle in, I am ordering in some more bottles. I think that I will need more than 17ml to cover this beast!

I have quite a few sub assemblies done and waiting to be either primed and painted, or painted. I al also going to try a couple of new products just to see what happens. So....

Mantel and barrel primed, ready for base coat!

Sprocket(s) ready for base coat

Lots of priming and painting going on here! the bench is full of bits!

charge and shot racks/stowage plus the main gun base mount

You're more or less up to date now. I still have a couple of racks to build up, but for now it is time to break out the Xtreme Metal paint and start on the inner road wheels and torsion bar suspension and swing arms. I need the space!
Partwork Building is like meeting enemy action - no plan survives first contact!!
snapdragon
Lietenant Colonel
Lietenant Colonel

Postby steve131 » Wed Feb 08, 2017 4:54 pm

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
steve131
Colonel
Colonel

Postby snapdragon » Sat Feb 25, 2017 12:27 am

Things have been very busy in the workshop and paintshop.

Big kits like these can be very modular and like the King Tiger this can be broken down into little smaller kits that go together to make the big one.

These "modules" are built and then painted ready to go inside. It is perfectly possible to jump around preparing these smaller items to go in, but it is a wise thing to more or less follow the actual build sequence trouble may result.

With this update you can see just how much has been built and painted.

It's almost time to start putting stuff into the hull but there's some more bits to build. More next time
snapdragon
Lietenant Colonel
Lietenant Colonel

Postby steve131 » Sat Feb 25, 2017 12:34 am

:clap: Great work :clap: Torsion bars look amazing painted .Enjoying this muchly . :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
steve131
Colonel
Colonel

Postby snapdragon » Sat Feb 25, 2017 1:00 pm

Thanks Steve. If you want one of these there are some quite good deals on Ebay Germany at the moment where you can get this kit for well under £200 plus postage.

The only things I am adding as AM market items for this kit are the following:

Archer fine Transfers Drivers instruments as the kit ones don't quite cut the mustard and Archer comes with bezels etc.

Aber's 1/16 2m Antennae. There isn't one in the kit and a turned metal one always looks much better than stretched sprue!

This weekend will see me adding some of the interior components to the lower hull to lower the completed pile and hopefully to straighten up the slightly warped lower hull. I have corrected my paint job on the firewall after coming across some interior photos of a Jagdtiger which shows me that on at least that vehicle the firewall paint job on the fighting compartment side was left in the primer colour. I will be also adding the detail parts to that too and then doing some detail painting with a paint brush. Look out for another update soon.
snapdragon
Lietenant Colonel
Lietenant Colonel

Postby snapdragon » Wed Mar 01, 2017 4:11 pm

The lower hull is more warped than I thought. Adding the internal firewall and clamping it until it was well and truly set in place has helped very much there is still a noticeable rocking when it is sat on my level bench. this may be partially solved by putting in the rear walls. I was hoping just to drop those into place so it would be possible to remove them to show the engine and detail at the rear, but this may not now be possible. We'll see though. Maybe fixing the upper hull into place with lots of clamps etc will fix the problem. Time will tell.

I have now got to the stage where I am ready to put the torsion bar suspension in and fix it.

drivers seat and radio operator's seat and back rest painted and ready to go in

This beast is slowly beginning to take form and despite being made on a Friday it is going together well. I have added the internal firewall warly as there were some lines that I wanted to put in before the suspension as you can see from the photograph above. There is another part still to go on the firewall and that is being made ready for masking and painting. it doesn't look much at the moment but there are about 80 parts been added to the lower hull!

More next time

James
snapdragon
Lietenant Colonel
Lietenant Colonel

Postby steve131 » Wed Mar 01, 2017 8:12 pm

Great work ,has the warp put you off this kit / Trumpeter :?: I'm still welljell :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
steve131
Colonel
Colonel

Postby snapdragon » Wed Mar 01, 2017 8:35 pm

It hasn't put me off Trumpeter at all. Sometimes these big bits do warp slightly and it makes you check more carefully when placing parts.

As more parts go in especially if they bridge between the sides and fix across the bottom of the lower hull tub they will pull the lower tub back to shape. You have to take extra time to make sure that the fit is right, clamping parts until they are set and cured.

I think that the lower hull warp will disappear when the upper hull is put on and that will take some doing as it is a massive part. Adding the side detail parts and then the front lower armour helped straighten the hull out very much and the firewall even further. Fixing this just takes time and quite often thinking outside the box especially when it comes time to fix on the top hull as it may be very hard to clamp in places. I may need to invest in some larger clamps!
snapdragon
Lietenant Colonel
Lietenant Colonel

Postby casper » Fri Mar 03, 2017 8:10 pm

:clap: :clap: great work snaps :mrgreen:
casp
My Honda MP4/4 Build Diary
viewtopic.php?f=80&t=5208
casper
General
General

Postby snapdragon » Sun Mar 05, 2017 1:29 pm

This time we add a host of interior stuff and piping. I (and many other modellers) aren't happy with the flexible styrene piping that comes in this and the King Tiger Kit. It warps easily and as a right pain to paint never mind fix. There are some that are done in two halves and putting them together to an acceptable level takes so much time you need a day in bed with a damp towel over the eyes to recover! However, on this post the piping is less annoying with what will come later.

Here we go with a montage and a few explanations!

First of all the torsion bars go in. They are a very tight fit but luckily all the paint that gets removed by the fitting is hidden! I have chosen to do them a dark metallic grey to break up the red. Some were primed with red oxide, but when the Jagdtigers went into production most were just fitted in their natural colours so it seemed right to use Xtreme Metal metallic Smoke on them.

Rear compartment dividers and track tensioners installed.

Fighting compartment installation left and right sides

Adding piping connectors

Oops! Missed a part! A bit of fiddling and there we go!

A couple of extra parts in the middle and all you out there are up to date!

Really, when tackling these it makes sense to make and paint all the modules and parts as far as you can first because then you can work through and add them as and when to make the build easier and so keep acess. Always thing from the ground up and ass the piping when the part goes in as much as possible.

Now I need to add piping and the fire extinguisher to the firewall and some more piping behind in the cooling compartment before continuing. This is going to take some painting! Out comes the copper, brass and other colours!

more next time

James
snapdragon
Lietenant Colonel
Lietenant Colonel

Postby Mark » Sun Mar 05, 2017 3:04 pm

Nice progress James. The detail in these kits in amazing !!
Cheers
Mark

If you nose runs and your feet smell, you're upside down !
Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby snapdragon » Sun Mar 05, 2017 6:20 pm

Thanks Mark.

You do get your monies worth with these big interior 1/16 trumpeter kits and putting them together is a real experience and you learn much about the real vehicle. I am going to have to get hold of their Tiger II kit and build that properly too. In fact you need two of them as both turrets are included but I have been told that there are only enough parts to do one turret so you have to choose initial or series turrets. I think that one of each sat next to this bigger one makes for an impressive display size wise, never mind detail.

I personally think that these beat Hachette's Tiger 1 for not only price but detail too.

Now Trumpeter have just or are about to release a couple of T72 variants and M1 Abrahms. Judging by the price point of the just released T-72 then I am concerned that it hasn't any interior detail. There has been next to nothing put out about these 4 modern vehicles regarding internal detail or anything but the forthcoming Panzer V Panther G early and Late variants have interior and I hope these two lead to a Jagdpanther as well and a built up test shot was on display at Nuremberg toy fair this year.

They cost a large wad of dosh all at once but they keep you building for a couple of months and look good when finished so price vs time makes what is a large layout initially to a quite cheap kit as it takes a while to build. Aber are the only company to provide 1/16 am sets for these and for this one all I needed was a 2m Antenna as there isn't one in the kit. There are several sets for the King Tiger and Panzer IV kits and the main barrels and muzzle brakes for the different KT turrets are a must. Archer fine transfers provide replacement dials dor the drivers controls and also decals for internal equipment. It is all down to what is in the box and what is available out on the AM market.

I am really enjoying this beast and I hope that my efforts and build diary encourages others to build a large scale tank.

James
snapdragon
Lietenant Colonel
Lietenant Colonel

Postby steve131 » Sun Mar 12, 2017 1:03 pm

Great work, are you going to get some figure s :?: Otto Carius.
steve131
Colonel
Colonel

Postby snapdragon » Sun Apr 09, 2017 9:06 pm

After a little time away for which I have had a few other things happening and also painting with metals takes time, especially Xtreme Metal paints, Here's a series of updates.

First of all, No I'm not going to be dealing with figures. This model will stand up on it's own!

As it came time to start adding bits of piping into the build I decided that I might as well deal with the engine compartment in it's entirety while the metal paints were out as it seemed the sensible thing to paint everything while I had the colours opened rather than tiny bits at a time and spending most of the time cleaning the airbrush after doing little bits. This is a waste of cleaner, paint and time. Cleaner and paint are expensive. Time is my own!

I started with dry fitting piping into areas to get a general sense just how they went and looked so I could consider how to paint them along with reference pictures.

Dry fitting the fuel tanks gave me a good idea on just how to proceed with the fitting of parts in this area. The pipes shown in this picture will probably be completely covered by the radiator air ducts and they need to go into the fuel tanks. However, fitting them according to the instructions is going to cause some problems as you fit the lipes, then the air ducts and radiators/fans and then the fuel tanks. This is going to make fitting those pipes into the big fuel tanks really hard.

I may work backwards, upside down and right to left!!!

I took assembled pipework into the paint shop, primed and then got the steel paint out!

Those are now ready for fitting!
snapdragon
Lietenant Colonel
Lietenant Colonel

Postby snapdragon » Sun Apr 09, 2017 9:21 pm

I also build the basic engine and other parts and wiring, primed and painted them using masking tape, dark aluminium for the engine, steel, copper and brass for piping etc and equipment green for ancillary engine parts. My reference is a genuine engine from this period.

batteries were built and painted

Engine air filters built and painted The original plastic handles disintegrated on removal from the sprue so I had a go at remaking them from wire I have. Not a bad effort really!

The engine base. ready to be added to. The main colour I chose was dark aluminium rather than a steel colour. It is just a tad lighter.

Radiators painted with steel.

Exhaust parts. These were painted in red ocide, then a spray with burnt metal and finally Jet exhaust over the top.

Lots of parts for the engine space and engine!

base of the radiator fans

Fuel tank still dry fitted, but the piping is now painted and secured in place. The dry fit of the fuel tanks enable me to get the correct angles.

The wrong brass painted one was used in this photo!

taking the fuel tank away after the glue has set.

adding the compartment base

Radiator and fans plus linkages assembled

snapdragon
Lietenant Colonel
Lietenant Colonel

Postby snapdragon » Sun Apr 09, 2017 9:29 pm

Lets have a look around the engine base and then add all the stuff!

At this moment it has to be shoehorned into the compartment and secured. I decided to do this now rather than add any more equipment as it would be easier to add in when the engine was in place rather than get the angles wrong etc on parts and also risking them being broken off and disappearing into the bottom of the compartment.

adding all the missing extras

There are still more parts to add, but that's it for now :D
snapdragon
Lietenant Colonel
Lietenant Colonel

Postby wingnut » Mon Apr 10, 2017 4:42 pm

Very nice work James ! pics are super clear and focused :clap: :clap:
Cheers Mike.
Coming second place makes you the fastest loser.
wingnut
Captain
Captain

Postby steve131 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 10:24 pm

Great work :clap: ,nice rescue job using wire 8-)
steve131
Colonel
Colonel

Postby snapdragon » Mon May 15, 2017 11:00 pm

Another update for you all.

THe engine bay is finished. All that remains to be done is to put the rear armour on and I'll do that tomorrow.

I was troubled by the fact that the fans and radiators wouldn't sit properly but leaned so I cut and made some props which you can just see on the next picture. They can't be seen at all once everything is in place!

The batteries and connectors are in place as well as other parts and the fighting compartment is ready for the ammunition racks and gun mount to go in.

I did have to rejig part of the cooling ducts as I had put the wrong one in place and so some tubing didn't fit. A minor stripdown was needed and the problem fixed!

more next time

James
snapdragon
Lietenant Colonel
Lietenant Colonel

Next

Return to Military Vehicles