Trumpeter 1/16 Jagdtiger

Vehicles with tracks, guns or camouflage, etc.

Re: Trumpeter 1/16 Jagdtiger

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby steve131 » Wed May 17, 2017 7:12 pm

Great work ,how far through the build are you ? Uber jell of this kit :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
steve131
Colonel
Colonel

Postby snapdragon » Thu May 18, 2017 11:08 am

Thanks for the vote of confidence, Steve! :D I think that I am about halfway through.

Next I have to install the lower ammunition storage and gun mount. Painting the shells is not going easy and working out how to display is causing some head scratching
Partwork Building is like meeting enemy action - no plan survives first contact!!
snapdragon
Lietenant Colonel
Lietenant Colonel

Postby snapdragon » Wed May 31, 2017 4:17 pm

Here's an update.

There's been much building going on here with lots more interior bits to prime, paint, assemble and paint again!

Also I have been working on the upper hull and solved how I am going to display the beast!

Here is the upper hull with as you can see, some parts already having the base coat on. These are removable so the inside can be seen. Yes.... it is sitting on a A3 piece of paper, more or less filling it so you can see what a monster it is!

the driver and radio operators hatch section will be removeable showing the compartments

All the rear deck (far part to be painted the base colour) as well as the roof can be removed to display the engine, radiator/cooling and the fighting compartment.

Spare track fitting test.... just to make sure that I got the hooks on right!

Front

rear

Over the next few days the airbrush and compressor will be working hard! I limit my painting time to 20 minutes max as the weather is quite warm and the compressor heats up quite quickly. I don't want to overheat the poor beast!
Partwork Building is like meeting enemy action - no plan survives first contact!!
snapdragon
Lietenant Colonel
Lietenant Colonel

Postby steve131 » Wed May 31, 2017 11:06 pm

Great work will you rub off the numbers on the tracks?
steve131
Colonel
Colonel

Postby snapdragon » Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:58 pm

Here's another update

I will deal with the tracks and may take a metal file to them, but that is for another time!!

All of a sudden it seems that much has been accomplished and it seems that I have taken quite a few steps forward!

The first thing was to mask the gun breech in preparation for metal paint.

With that done and metal paint done as well as some charge racks and ammunition stowage completed I have done a test fit.

It's beginning to look mean and purposeful! Also it is finally starting to come together!

I have not to finish off the gun breech and mount it on the main mount. There are another couple of ammunition/charge racks to do and several small pieces to still fit. These Pics are just a test fit to see if everything actually goes into place and pulls the lower hull back into shape. I have had the upper hull on also as a test fit and I think there is going to have to be some brute force and clamping done!!
snapdragon
Lietenant Colonel
Lietenant Colonel

Postby steve131 » Thu Jun 08, 2017 1:17 pm

What a beast this is turning into ,going to need a reinforced cabinet for it. Careful with the clamping :shock:
steve131
Colonel
Colonel

Postby snapdragon » Mon Jun 12, 2017 12:38 pm

All the innards are now in place with two exceptions which once re-located will be put in place. Apart from those two items it is time to nail the upper hull into place which once firmly glued and clamped should pull everything onto line.

One of the charge racks has been left unglued as a test fit showed me that it interfered with placement, once nailed into place the charge rack can be refitted with no problems.

Before I put the upper hull into place I need to paint it along with the camouflage, then add the periscopes, put the upper hull into place and then add all the exterior equipment, wheels, tracks, trackguards etc! I am doing it this way so I can pre-paint everything along with the mounting brackets in the correct camouflage colour where they will be put. fiddly job, but worth it in the end!
snapdragon
Lietenant Colonel
Lietenant Colonel

Postby number1 » Mon Jun 12, 2017 4:10 pm

Incredible amount of detail, makes you realise how cramped the crew would have been.
number1
Lietenant Colonel
Lietenant Colonel

Postby steve131 » Mon Jun 12, 2017 4:27 pm

Great work.
steve131
Colonel
Colonel

Postby snapdragon » Tue Jun 13, 2017 12:16 pm

More work done! the upper hull has been finished in the base coat for January 1945 which was RAL 6003.

I just have to wait for the paint patching I have done to dry and cure then I can start with the Camouflage. RAL7028 Dunkelgelb batch 2 January 1945. Then RAL8017
snapdragon
Lietenant Colonel
Lietenant Colonel

Postby steve131 » Tue Jun 13, 2017 5:05 pm

The colour really brings it alive Uberjell of this kit :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
steve131
Colonel
Colonel

Postby snapdragon » Wed Jun 14, 2017 12:12 am

Dteve, it is a huge kit with a huge price tag and not for the faint hearted.... look how long it has been on my bench and I have worked on it every day.

These photos show the camouflage in place, but there will still be more to do. I have taken these with no flash and under fluorescent light and the colours are not showing right, so if the weather and light outside is good I can take better photos which should show the true shades, but these pictures give a reasonable idea.

with these big kits and with the Tiffy you have, the more time you spend planning the build then the easier the build is because you have already sorted out the goal and that is how you are going to display it.

Work backwards from that deciding just how much of the interior and engine you want to show because there are various display options built into the kit and spend time surfing the net at pictures of the real thing. I have electronic versions of the maintenance binders which have much detail and with a bit of thought and planning you can replicate lots of extra detail such as the petrol lines etc. to do this you purchase various thicknesses of wire/rod/tube and using the diagrams and the build manual and parts sprues work out just how you can do it, lengths and bends, if you have to make adjustments to the parts etc. It adds to the build time, and expense, but with care and planning can improve stuff greatly.
snapdragon
Lietenant Colonel
Lietenant Colonel

Postby steve131 » Wed Jun 14, 2017 4:23 pm

Nice cammo ,did you use Blue Tac Worms or masking tape? You are correct about researching the subject matter I do like finding interesting facts and history of subject matter chosen :ugeek:
steve131
Colonel
Colonel

Postby snapdragon » Wed Jun 14, 2017 5:42 pm

The camo was done freehand.

here are photos taken today in the fantastic weather that Gods own country is having.

here's a black and white one!

I can continue with the periscopes now!
snapdragon
Lietenant Colonel
Lietenant Colonel

Postby steve131 » Wed Jun 14, 2017 7:38 pm

:clap: K awarded for freehand work ,I never get it that good :( . Weather has been nice today 8-)
steve131
Colonel
Colonel

Postby royjess » Wed Jun 14, 2017 7:46 pm

Loving the camo/paint work, nice work :clap: :clap: :clap:
Completed Builds Hachette - The Black Pearl
Completed Builds DeAgostini - Build the Millennium Falcon

Always thinking outside the box....!
royjess
Brigadier
Brigadier

Postby snapdragon » Sat Jun 24, 2017 3:08 pm

Here we go with another update.

The upper and lower parts have finally been joined together after all the periscopes and view finders ETC. were installed and it was a mammoth task with both shipbuilding clamps and much bigger clamps from the woodshop being used.

Clamping was the only way as I could only get the parts together correctly like that due to the fact that there was warpage on both upper and lower hulls. Gluing and clamping solved that and has actually pulled everything square!!! :roll: :!: :?: :idea: :D

Now I am not sure about the camo I have done. There is lots of overspray and I do feel that I should start again. Comments ideas and info are welcome from members on this. I am considering getting some thick paper and cutting out masks so I can tape them on and paint.

snapdragon
Lietenant Colonel
Lietenant Colonel

Postby wingnut » Sat Jun 24, 2017 4:51 pm

Nice work with the "free hand" camo, James :clap: :clap:
Coming second place makes you the fastest loser.
wingnut
Captain
Captain

Postby steve131 » Sat Jun 24, 2017 9:16 pm

Can't see anything wrong with paint ,just touch up with brush on small scratches ,great work get the wheels on next. :clap: 8-)
steve131
Colonel
Colonel

Postby royjess » Sun Jun 25, 2017 9:59 am

Paint all looks good to me, great work there :clap: :clap: :clap:
Completed Builds Hachette - The Black Pearl
Completed Builds DeAgostini - Build the Millennium Falcon

Always thinking outside the box....!
royjess
Brigadier
Brigadier