Snaps' 12 Days of Christmas Build - Meng D9R

Vehicles with tracks, guns or camouflage, etc.

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby snapdragon » Tue Dec 26, 2017 9:40 pm

Here we go with my 12 days of Christmas Build. Many thanks to all that chose it for me as it has loads of parts and many working features!

For those who don't know, Every Christmas I build a kit from my stash in 12 days from start to finish.

This year The guys voted for this:

Lets go through the box!

That's all that is in the box. There are a couple of duplicated sprues and three for the tracks. I reckon close on around 400+ parts!

Christmas day saw most of the time taken up with family, but in a very late night building session I finished up with this

Once that is all primed and painted and assembled properly then it should take me up to around stage 10 of the build manual. Today has been taken up with drilling holes to take the slat armour mounts and hand holds!

More Tomorrow

James
Partwork Building is like meeting enemy action - no plan survives first contact!!
snapdragon
Lietenant Colonel
Lietenant Colonel

Re: Snaps' 12 Days of Christmas Build - Meng D9R

Postby steve131 » Tue Dec 26, 2017 9:58 pm

400 is quite a good parts count , nice progress so far . What you think of the plastic and will you be doing example on the front of Box?
steve131
Colonel
Colonel

Postby snapdragon » Wed Dec 27, 2017 12:13 am

The plastic is Mengs' usual high quality plastic and as you can see it is very well detailed.

There are some parts that despite the great instructions take some figuring out how to get them into their allotted slots. particularly on the Dozer blade as the inset needs to be at a certain angle.

The colour will be all over IDF Sinai Grey 82 (Vallejo 71.142). The handrails and grips plus some other areas will be painted red of which I am using original photos of the real thing to get the little extras. There are no AM parts used in this build, everything you need is in the box.

Tracks will be a dark metallic colour.

If you fancy having a bash at this and it will definitely give you a great build then my usual Ebay source has it in for £42.80 including shipping (wait while New Year before ordering... it's Chaos out there at the moment!)

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Meng-Model-1-35-SS-010-D9R-Doobi-Armored-bulldozer-w-Slat-Armor-/172073964376?hash=item2810685358

This kit in the UK is about £60 depending where you look!

Partwork Building is like meeting enemy action - no plan survives first contact!!
snapdragon
Lietenant Colonel
Lietenant Colonel

Postby number1 » Wed Dec 27, 2017 8:09 am

Looks like your off to a flying start, looks a really well detailed model, pllenty of small parts for the carpet monster, good luck!
number1
Lietenant Colonel
Lietenant Colonel

Postby snapdragon » Sat Dec 30, 2017 6:14 pm

Another update!

I intended to have this up a day or so ago but I have had connection issues with the internet. Everything is ok now and so I am sailing ahead.

I do have to repaint some things, but the ripper on the back of the dozer (which incidentally is made by CAT and is available in a civilian version) is on to the body and there is just plumbing and detail painting to do.

That's all for now. I will be doing a lot of painting as there are lots of parts now ready to be painted and put together and to save time won't be priming first! It is an interesting build and really only needs Eduards interior set to spice it up! Back to the paint shop and on with the cab and wheels etc!
snapdragon
Lietenant Colonel
Lietenant Colonel

Postby steve131 » Sat Dec 30, 2017 9:47 pm

Looking good ,brave not priming it :think: but seems to be working. Looked up the history of this quite interesting .
steve131
Colonel
Colonel

Postby snapdragon » Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:49 pm

I have had to stop my model building for the moment due to being ill. One of the family's little monsters passed on their cold to me on Christmas day. With my heart condition and most of my body not functioning normally, what would normally be a sniffle, cured by a dose of Single Malt, hot water and lemon has flattened me and although I have tried to keep going the virus has totally flattened me and all I can do is ooze catarrh and spend time wheezing and coughing up half a lung and other nasty stuff.

I can't take any off the shelf remedies as they would interfere with my regular medications and so all I can do is just wait for it to run its course and keep going with the chicken soup!!

My apologies to all for this interruption and as I stopped at day 5 I will continue as soon as I have recovered enough and will finish the project in 12 days total build time. I just can't see properly with my eyes watering all the time, my nose and sinuses being blocked and running as well as my chest being stopped up. I just can't concentrate but have been getting much more sleep which means my body is slowly fighting back!

Once this D9R is done and the Do 335 is finished (after I get a replacement engine sprue or see if I can rescue the front engine and get enough weight in there) there is Meng's Tiger II with interior and Panther A waiting in the wings!

James

:violin:
:auto-ambulance:
snapdragon
Lietenant Colonel
Lietenant Colonel

Postby Mark » Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:18 am

Get well soon James
Cheers
Mark

If you nose runs and your feet smell, you're upside down !
Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby number1 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 5:28 pm

Get well soon, hope its not the same nephew who likes "playing" with your models!
number1
Lietenant Colonel
Lietenant Colonel

Postby wingnut » Thu Jan 04, 2018 5:48 pm

Sorry to here you unwell James, keep warm and get well soon ;)
Coming second place makes you the fastest loser.
wingnut
Captain
Captain

Postby snapdragon » Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:12 pm

Thanks guys.

As I can't take over the counter medicines that provide symptom relief I have to use the old ways and suffer! The lumberjack brushed cotton shirts come out, a large bag of menthol and Eucalyptus mints aquired along with a case of Campbell's Condensed Chicken Soup and large bottles of Single Malt Whiskey and Pussers Gunpowder Proof Navy Rum.

Dark spirits are more effective at dealing with viruses than white or clear spirits as it is the type of high grade alcohol that boosts your immune system a little and also provides some pain relief. To avoid upsetting my medication for my heart and so probably causing an ambulance to be called and a very upset consultant, I take a measure of single malt at lunchtime which is just a drop that covers the bottom of a shot glass. Before I go to bed I have double that of Pussers Gunpowder Proof Rum. This stuff gets into the bloodstream and helps control the symptoms during the night and helps me to sleep!

Lunchtimes are a tin of Chicken soup. This may explain the urges I get to start Clucking and to lay an egg!

The Menthol and Eucalyptus mints I use to try and keep my breathing passages free.

Despite all this All I can do is to just to let the virus run its course and with my heart being so badly damaged and the rest of my internal systems slow to respond and not as effective as they used to be just to ride it out - which is a pretty miserable time and longer than most people suffer a heavy cold.

Saying all this though, it has enforced a rest from my bench which in a way has been welcome as it has given me the opportunity to have a look at what is being released in the plastic kit world and also what may be released as well as what is in my stash unstarted and part built.

I want to travel this year and so will more than likely work out of my stash until the more interesting stuff appears on the market. ZM's Ki45 Nick kits along with the HS 129 B2 & B3 and it also looks like their FW190's may also make an appearance too!

Hobbyboss have announced 2 B24 Liberator kits in 1/32. No release date to my knowledge is known, but it seems that they and their bigger brother, Trumpeter, look willing to go up against Hong Kong Models.

HKM's big release this year, which could be March is the Lancaster in 1/32 and there is lots of interest in this kit. I am also aware that there will be two more kits of the Lancaster which one could be released On an anniversary in May :D

Also look out for the night fighter version of their Do 335.

Trumpeter are putting out Tiger I & II kits as well as a Maus with interior in 1/35. Amusing Hobby has a Super Conquerer and a Japanese SPG as well as a Wurzburg radar. Lots to look forwards to!

James
snapdragon
Lietenant Colonel
Lietenant Colonel

Postby steve131 » Sun Jan 07, 2018 12:13 am

Hope the gunpowder working Snaps and you get back to the bench soon . The Wife was ill all holiday and storm Eleanor wiped out our phone line and internet :angry-banghead: roll on those lazy long hot days of summer. 8-)
steve131
Colonel
Colonel

Postby snapdragon » Sun Jan 07, 2018 12:22 pm

Very slowly turning things around. Because my immune system doesn't have as much punch or quick reaction as it used to have and because I can't turn my bloodstream into an alcohol stream to kill of viruses etc because of my heart meds so when I do pick up these things the effect is magnified and can take up to a month of total misery to get back on track!

Wish I had loads o money so I could by a nice place in southern Italy and go there for the winter! I have seen some really nice villa derelicts on the market in Southern Italy that with a proper rebuild and careful planning could be fabulous places to spend the winter... Or indeed anytime!
snapdragon
Lietenant Colonel
Lietenant Colonel

Postby steve131 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:25 pm

Sounds good ,could do with a piece of that life. :mrgreen:
steve131
Colonel
Colonel

Return to Military Vehicles