Deagostini X-wing fighter 1:18 (Star Wars)

Heard about a new partwork ? Tell us here

Re: Deagostini X-wing fighter 1:18 (Star Wars)

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby jim » Sun Sep 17, 2017 6:25 pm

I could never understand where these partworks get their scale from, 18th scale of a machine that never existed. how did they arrive at the idea of an 18th scale model of a fictitious craft?
jim
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Postby royjess » Sun Sep 17, 2017 7:59 pm

They did build a full size prop for the original Star Wars trilogy which was used in the Yalvin hanger and also on the set of the Empire Strikes Back
Completed Builds Hachette - The Black Pearl
Completed Builds DeAgostini - Build the Millennium Falcon

Always thinking outside the box....!
royjess
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Hum » Mon Sep 18, 2017 4:59 am

Also isn't this the prop replica they actually used for filming?

Hey royjess, what are you building at the moment?
Hum
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Postby Mark » Mon Sep 18, 2017 5:23 am

jim wrote:I could never understand where these partworks get their scale from, 18th scale of a machine that never existed. how did they arrive at the idea of an 18th scale model of a fictitious craft?

There is a full size one in Hong Kong Disneyland too. However, you can estimate the size of a non-existent movie prop by scaling from nearby objects on known sizes, like people, or R2D2.

Mind, they need to put a scale and dimensions, so that the nerds can argue about how inaccurate the model is compared to the real one that didn't exist :laughing-rolling:
Cheers
Mark

If you nose runs and your feet smell, you're upside down !
Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby royjess » Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:06 am

Hum wrote:Also isn't this the prop replica they actually used for filming?

I don't know if this part work is based on a prop replica actual size. As far as I'm aware, they built one full size prop with three smaller models for filming.

Here is some links to the xwing, the first one talks about where is the original full size prop and also shows a full size model made out of lego

https://www.urbanghostsmedia.com/2013/0 ... inal-prop/

Here is also some info by Star Wars wikia, the last paragraph talks a little about the film props and miniatures models.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/T-65_X-wing_starfighter

Hum wrote:Hey royjess, what are you building at the moment?

I've got a few project builds on the go at the moment, including building a diorama for my Millennium Falcon, Trams, fairground and a full size R2D2. All on hold at the moment due to money and time restraints, but I'm hoping to get back into the swing of things soon.

Roy :D
Completed Builds Hachette - The Black Pearl
Completed Builds DeAgostini - Build the Millennium Falcon

Always thinking outside the box....!
royjess
Colonel
Colonel

Postby baby_astons » Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:36 am

well, indeed, the scale of a fictitious spacecraft is somewhat obscure - especially as the film props are made up from bits and pieces from other models, see the millennium falcon, almost 200 scale plastic models having served as organ donors -
as mark said, a certain scale "fidelity" can be extrapolated by using the figures that inhabit or creep around the model, so this is why the falcon is said to be 1:43 scale - even if existing books serve some controversial data - this is why several of the plastic kits have no or completely wrong scale designations...
I would prefer a constant scale used on these objects, if the x wing were 1:43 scale I could be tempted as it would fit the falcon, at 1:18 scale the only match would be some newly available ww2 fighters as well as a wealth of 1:18th scale model cars - not very likely any of those would meet each other...
this helps saving me lots of money as I prefer a matching scale for my collection - I certainly wouldn't display a x-wing alongside my aston martin models - on the other side, a partwoks model of the x-wing in 1:43rd scale (to match the falcon) wouldn't be made as the manufacturers would consider that as far too small - they could make a fleet of star wars fighters in that scale, but thats only a crazy idea...
building:DB5~E-Type~Testarossa~Aston Vantage V12~Millennium Falcon

stash: viewtopic.php?f=157&t=5628

Always forgive your enemies - nothing annoys them so much.
baby_astons
General
General

Postby Hum » Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:05 pm

I hear what your saying, so we can display it with the Falcon.
But if I'm going to pay over $2,000 for this, I want it as big as I can get it.
Size matters right? :D
I'm not worried about matching scales, Imagine if they do the AT AT next after the X-Wing, that will have to be a different scale again, and I'll be a very happy man....
Hum
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Postby baby_astons » Tue Sep 19, 2017 1:21 pm

hum, I can fully subscribe to the big is beautiful argument, collecting 8th scale car models and 24th scale airplanes -
but for me a must is matching scales so I can display the models alongside each other and comapre sizes - I am already compromising on my star trek collection, as I own all polar lights 350th scale starships as well as some of the older 350 scale amt models - with some pain I am accepting the new revell models, which are around 500th scale, of course I would love to have the D in 350 scale but that might well be a mighty monster, so probably polar lights won't do that to please me... :mrgreen:
on the original topic, the falcon might remain the only large scale star wars object as 1:18 is really far off - and of course, helps saving lots of money as I won't go for the x-wing :D
building:DB5~E-Type~Testarossa~Aston Vantage V12~Millennium Falcon

stash: viewtopic.php?f=157&t=5628

Always forgive your enemies - nothing annoys them so much.
baby_astons
General
General

Postby Experten » Sat Sep 23, 2017 2:29 am

I suspect the scale was chosen due to the massive number of 1/18 figures out there. (Hasbro, and so on) This allows a lot of pilot options.
Mark
The crazy Yank
Current builds: Altalya Citroen 2CV, Fabbri-Centauria LaFerrari, DeAgostini Shelby Mustang, DeAgostini Jaguar, Hachette Lancaster, (and one or two others)
Experten
Regiment Sergeant Major
Regiment Sergeant Major

Postby Southend Nick » Tue Sep 26, 2017 12:55 pm

A bloke in Southend is building a 3/4 scale crashed one from the early scene of Force Awakens it will go on display in Southend for just one day, this Saturday!
Southend Nick
Private
Private

Previous

Return to Partwork previews