Heard about a new partwork ? Tell us here

La Bretagne –Altaya – France

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby booth » Sat Jul 29, 2017 3:56 pm

https://www.altaya.fr/modelisme/collect ... gne-bateau

It looks like a really great Model. Also, with DD you get a neat stand and with the premier package you receive a display case.

I am already doing the L'Ambitieux and l'Hermione and have no space anyway. I can fight this ………………….but not for long…….…………I know that I am the same as chloe in ‘Secret life of Pets’ !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lBkHxJazRV4
booth
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Re: La Bretagne –Altaya – France

Postby snapdragon » Sat Jul 29, 2017 8:51 pm

I would love this, but too much on at this moment!
Partwork Building is like meeting enemy action - no plan survives first contact!!
snapdragon
Lietenant Colonel
Lietenant Colonel

Postby conqueror060 » Sat Sep 30, 2017 12:20 am

I received the first issue. I'm not so excited because it looks like the same as the "l'ambitieux' which I'm already collecting. One difference I noticed is the cannons, their base isn't diecast metal but you put wood pieces together. A nice little improvement. On the other hand it is the only first issue of a wooden ship partwork I have ever seen without the usual little pva glue bottle for the start hahaha.

The quality of the wood is perfect as expected
conqueror060
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Postby booth » Sat Sep 30, 2017 12:40 pm

I have decided to get this one as well and may do a build diary. I haven’t made the first cannon yet as I am unsure if it should be painted or dyed walnut as suggested.
It’s a shame I can’t do DD as I would really like the stand.
booth
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Postby bird_d00 » Sat Sep 30, 2017 3:09 pm

It's a terrible shame that Altaya won't ship outside France. I would love to subscribe to this also, it looks wonderful, especially with the build stand & display stand for subscribers. Especially since there's no UK sailing ship partworks available currently - I'm having to content myself with buying some backissues of Endeavour on :evil: bay.

I know there's journaux.fr , but I have yet to figure out how that works, or even find the postage costs on that site. My french is not that bad (good enough to translate the manual of a Dassault missile homing head for a previous employer), but I can't understand their website. I know it is possible to consolidate orders into a single shipment, even though it states in the T&Cs "Nous ne pouvons regrouper deux commandes distinctes et les frais de port vous seront facturés pour chacune d'elle." which seems to contradict this. I don't suppose anyone would like to provide a little tutorial on the use of that website and where they hide the postage costs ?

David Bird
bird_d00
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Postby baby_astons » Sat Sep 30, 2017 4:00 pm

david, you can buy from journaux with confidence, I did for the past 7 years and never had complaints - in short words:
you buy your weekly issue and need to pay for it including shipment - there#s the option of "saving up" the issues for later dispatch -
once you decided, you want to have the parts, you opt for "send everything" and they will refund all surplus shipment fees they have charged -
it works superbly, with my many partworks I am buying with them, I get refunds of around 200 euros per shipment once I request shipment -
and the shipment prices are really super competitive...

btw you can open an english transaltion of the pages to better understand what they are talking about but note:
the translated pages are not fillable so you need to complete your registration and your orders on the original french language pages...

and one more: I may blame myself for being the person who brought journaux to partworksmodels forum and you probably won't find anyone here who's been in troubles with buying there (and no UNFORTUNATELY I don't get any interest from journaux :mrgreen: for sending new buyers to them...).
building:DB5~E-Type~Testarossa~Aston Vantage V12~Millennium Falcon

stash: viewtopic.php?f=157&t=5628

Always forgive your enemies - nothing annoys them so much.
baby_astons
General
General

Postby bird_d00 » Sat Sep 30, 2017 6:10 pm

I still couldn't find where they hide things like postage costs on journaux.fr, only by adding something to the cart. Doesn't seem too bad, so I've bitten the bullet and ordered the first three issues to try it. No acknowledgement email from them - is that normal ?

David Bird
bird_d00
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Postby baby_astons » Sat Sep 30, 2017 6:22 pm

normally you should get an email stating the order number, IF you have paid for the items - that is what I get every time -
as for the shipment fees, you cannot find any as the computer will automatically calculate the actual cost according to the size and weight of the items in the cart -
so the only way to find out is exactly what you have done - "buy" the items until they are in the cart and you see the cost - if you don't pay, the items will disappear from the cart within hours - i.e. you cannot simply store items in the cart and do your payment later - if you didn't pay, you'll never get an aknowledgement email and if you check your cart tomorrow, they'll be gone...

baby_astons
General
General

Postby bird_d00 » Sat Sep 30, 2017 6:43 pm

I definitely paid for them - with paypal, and received a acknowledgement from paypal, but I've not heard anything from journaux.fr at all. I expected some sort of welcome email when I registered with them, but nothing then either. Odd. The order does show up on journaux's website, so it's not just a figment of my imagination.

David Bird
bird_d00
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Postby baby_astons » Sat Sep 30, 2017 9:58 pm

funny thing, I never get any paypal aknowledgment but an email from journaux with the amount paid and a order number -
however, if you log in and see the ordered items than everything should be fine... did you opt for an immediate shipment or for "store until further note"

baby_astons
General
General

Postby bird_d00 » Sat Sep 30, 2017 10:10 pm

As far as I'm aware I requested immediate shipment. I'll just have to see if anything turns up - status is currently "En cours de préparation"

David Bird
bird_d00
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Postby conqueror060 » Sat Sep 30, 2017 10:59 pm

So they haven't shipped yet. When they ship the parcel you will receive an email with title "Votre commande est expédiée" and when you open it you can see the tracking number. From my personal experience, they usually ship within 2-5 days after the payment (2 business days in most of my orders)
conqueror060
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Postby bird_d00 » Thu Oct 05, 2017 3:57 pm

Well I did get an email when they dispatched my issues on Monday, and received my parcel this morning (Thursday). Very nice it looks, so I've been ordering some woodstain samples, and even eventually found some of the "jewish bitumen" used for weathering the "gold" parts - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PENTART-LIQUI ... 28209781f2 . I'm unsure of what to use for painting the blackened metal parts. I have several varieties of metal black, but they are dependent on the metal used, and need sealing anyway - it might be easier just to use paint - matt finish I assume.

David Bird
bird_d00
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Postby wingnut » Thu Oct 05, 2017 4:42 pm

bird_d00 wrote:Well I did get an email when they dispatched my issues on Monday, and received my parcel this morning (Thursday). Very nice it looks, so I've been ordering some woodstain samples, and even eventually found some of the "jewish bitumen" used for weathering the "gold" parts - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PENTART-LIQUI ... 28209781f2 . I'm unsure of what to use for painting the blackened metal parts. I have several varieties of metal black, but they are dependent on the metal used, and need sealing anyway - it might be easier just to use paint - matt finish I assume.

David Bird

What is "Jewish bitumen" just asking because it may be offensive to some members :think:
Coming second place makes you the fastest loser.
wingnut
Captain
Captain

Postby bird_d00 » Thu Oct 05, 2017 5:09 pm

"Jewish Bitumen" Is what (some) europeans call bitumen or tar, and is used to weather metals. That's how it is referred in the instructions. The name comes from the fact that the primary source of supply is (or was) the Dead Sea. I had trouble finding suppliers online, only a Portugese art supplier (expensive). A bit of lateral thinking, had me finding a definition of what it actually is, and finding that it is really just ordinary bitumen - similar to the nasty gungy black stuff that your car picks up on hot days off of the road. Plenty of suppliers for that, although most want to supply you a couple of gallons of the stuff for weatherproofing your shed roof !

David Bird
bird_d00
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Postby snapdragon » Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:46 pm

I don't think you will need what you found on Ebay. Photograph the parts and let's have a look
Partwork Building is like meeting enemy action - no plan survives first contact!!
snapdragon
Lietenant Colonel
Lietenant Colonel

Postby conqueror060 » Fri Oct 06, 2017 12:22 am

I have read the same in the instructions. There are some metal marts (gold color) that should be weathered to look old and rusty. I'm still can't figure out what technique i should use to achieve it. Someone suggested dark (black or brown) oil paint and a cloth but I don't know if it will work
conqueror060
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Postby booth » Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:57 am

I tried various methods for my L'Ambitieux build and by far the best was Jewish bitumen thinned down with real turps.
Don’t make the mistake of using it straight from the bottle. It’s great stuff, shades and gives it a shine when rubbed. If you have ever smeared Tar you may have seen a yellow edge as it fades.
Look at my build and see the result .
I will be starting my build diary soon for this shop and show how it works for me if you can wait until then?
booth
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Postby snapdragon » Fri Oct 06, 2017 11:53 am

Of course you do realise you don't have to weather these parts.

If you do then you will have to weather the entire ship including sails, paintwork etc.

Most ship captains of the period paid for these kind of decorations out of their own pocket and real gold leaf was often used. As part of their duties, the ships crew would often be detailed to keep these decorations clean. It was a sign of how successful the captain, ship and crew were.

The age of sail ships had to be very self sufficient as they were away from port for months at a time and not only did the crew have normal sailing duties but also doubled as repair and refit with the ship carrying replacement masts, yards, planking etc in their holds besides food, water, beer, rum, powder and shot of different calibres.

Take for instance HMS Bellerophon at the battle of the Nile. This 2 decker third rate 74 gun anchored directly across from the French flagship of 3 decks and 104 guns. A fierce firefight ensued which saw Bellerophon totally dismasted apart from the bowsprit, huge holes in the ships side and half the total British casualties of the battle on this one ship alone.

In return the French flagship took a fierce battering from Bellerophon that itself was reduced to a floating wreck and Bellerophon managed to set the ship on fire.

At this stage, with no masts or steerage and commanded by the sixth lieutenant and with night fallen, Bellerophon cut her cables and drifted down the battle line away from the French flagship which was well alight now receiving broadsides of both friendly and enemy fire before being brought under control by a sea anchor.

The French Flagship then exploded as the powder magazines blew up which brought a temporary stop to the battle and was heard in Cairo.

Just three days after the battle, the Bellerophon was repaired sufficiently to rejoin the line of battle with the ships crew both wounded and unwounded salvaging wreckage to be used and the ships own stores. Nelson detached Bellerophon and sent her to Gibraltar where she was put in dry dock and had a complete overhaul.

She was later to sail and fight at Trafalgar.

These wooden walls were tough as nails, as were their crews. They loved their ships and cared for them.
snapdragon
Lietenant Colonel
Lietenant Colonel

Postby wingnut » Fri Oct 06, 2017 4:54 pm

Thanks Dave and James.
Coming second place makes you the fastest loser.
wingnut
Captain
Captain

Return to Partwork previews