Why dont we get the part works?

Heard about a new partwork ? Tell us here

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby R2D2 » Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:24 pm

Why is France getting yet another good part work that could be released in the UK? Ok so we are getting the Routemaster bus in 1/12th but no other 1/8th scale kits. It seems we are left out when it comes to part works where as the rest of the world get some great part works! Japan got the Thunderbird 2 before we did and as far as I know the VW Combi is also out but in another country ( I can't remember which. Probably France again ). I'm just wondering when if ever we will get a good part work before any one else! Well that's my gripe over for this week!
R2D2
Lietenant Colonel
Lietenant Colonel

Re: Why dont we get the part works?

Postby modelcarsman » Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:47 pm

Sadly, the UK isn't quite as part-work oriented as France and Italy.

They really are car part-work crazy, whereas over here there's not such a big market.
I don't think we'll ever get the quantity or variety of models that are available in Europe.
modelcarsman
Colour Sergeant
Colour Sergeant

Postby MODENAMAN » Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:20 pm

I know it has been widely mentioned on the Forum but no harm in mentioning again that French models are easy to get from - www.journaux.fr . They give an excellent service to the Uk. If you accumulate 10 or 20 issues for shipping at the same time you get all excess postage refunded . They accept Paypal and are very reliable. On the site go to Collections on the top right and select Modelisme/ Maquettes on the left - they have all current French issues and some remaining stock of older ones. They really are excellent suppliers.
To echo the original question - I wholeheartedly agree - and also accept the Uk is a smaller market , but once production starts its easy enough to market all models in the UK at very little extra cost . La Ferrari would certainly sell, as would the VW Samba Camper amongst others.
MODENAMAN
Sergeant
Sergeant

Postby Eagle36 » Thu Feb 08, 2018 2:17 pm

If you think the UK is bad, it's even worse here in the US: even when we do get DeAgo subscriptions they don't include the Bonus offerings that the UK or others get. I tried to use the journal.fr but it won't accept my credit card information-- if not for a connection in Japan and Europe I would not been able to get the 300SL Gullwing, LaFerrari or the enhanced Senna McLaren and Wolf Countach extras and display cases.

There should be a worldwide subscription offering for us underprivileged :angry-banghead:
Eagle36
Sergeant
Sergeant

Postby jim » Thu Feb 08, 2018 2:26 pm

I want Hachettes Scharnhorst, but can't get it here in UK.
jim
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Postby snapdragon » Thu Feb 08, 2018 6:11 pm

Hachette UK used to be readily good with model partworks and we would get some cracking stuff. They, however, seem to have gone off the rails over model partworks and Deagostini have taken over as the main partwork provider for models here in the UK.

It is possible to get hold of most partworks but you will have to work at it.

Jouneaux.fr is the best option in France. They accept PayPal and will ship directly to you. Most partworks on the French market can be found there.

I am getting the I-400 Japanese submarine aircraft carrier. This has taken some creative thinking but it works quite well.

First I went to tenso.com and signed up and got my own Japanese postal address, then I subscribed to the partwork using my bank debit card HSBC/VISA. This works quite well. Hachette Japan ships to my address there and Tenso emails me that a package has arrived. I then go to my page on the tenso website and fill my own customs form (price of contents) for which I usually put 500 yen which sails through UK customs without any import duties..... Sneaky and a bit dishonest but I don't care!!! :o

I can also choose shipping method too to which they offer a few from practically next day to shipping by sea. I usually chose one of the air shipping which takes about a week.

Having a tenso address also means I can shop in Japan quite happily and get partworks and model kits that aren't available here.

I must admit that I am moving out of the partworks market as my income can not now go as far as I want it to. I would like to do La Ferrari and Scharnhorst,Tirpitz but I have to really consider the finance of partworks and what I have coming in now.

Still. My experience getting hold of the I-400 shows that with some extra work anything can be got hold of.

Me? I'm moving back into the plastic kits. I must confess that the entire thing in one box is now for me but I could possibly jump back in to a partwork depending on subject and what the build offers.
Partwork Building is like meeting enemy action - no plan survives first contact!!
snapdragon
Colonel
Colonel

Postby R2D2 » Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:02 pm

I know you may think I'm stupid but I've been on the French site but I don't speak French. Could some one please explain how I can order stuff or is there a translation available!
R2D2
Lietenant Colonel
Lietenant Colonel

Postby Julian » Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:34 pm

Google translates the page

http://www.journaux.fr/index_collections.php
the go to
Modélisme/maquettes

list of the partworks available

Model / models
- Citroën Type H
- Build the Hermione
- Build the Delorean
- Build the Mercedes-Benz 300 SL
- Build the Renault 8 Gordini
- Build the F-14 Tomcat
- Build the Alpha Jet
- Build Your R2-D2
- Build Your Willys MB Jeep
- HMS Victory
- Brittany
- The Mythical Bus
- The solar system
- The train of the Alps
- The Village of Asterix
- Climb your Split Samba Combi
- Porsche 911 Carrera RS 2.7
- Tutankhamun - The Mask Replica
- U-Boat (U 96)
- Your New Doll House

The Late Great b_a showed me the way, just like the leading light he was. X
If it's Not Broke, Take it apart and make it better

Timmy Mallet

http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/
Julian
Brigadier
Brigadier

Postby R2D2 » Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:36 pm

I'm going to the site but its still in French. How do I get it to translate? What am I doing wrong!
R2D2
Lietenant Colonel
Lietenant Colonel

Postby snapdragon » Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:12 am

Go to:

https://translate.google.co.uk/

copy and past this:

http://www.journaux.fr/index_collections.php

into the translate from box

Then, making sure it is set to translate from French to English hot the TRANSLATE BUTTON

:D
Partwork Building is like meeting enemy action - no plan survives first contact!!
snapdragon
Colonel
Colonel

Postby royjess » Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:52 am

R2D2 wrote:I'm going to the site but its still in French. How do I get it to translate? What am I doing wrong!

You will need to use Chrome browser, a small window will open up in the top right hand side asking you if you would like to translate, click on translate

The above works using my laptop, but I don't know if it is any different when using a tablet or smart phone
Completed Builds Hachette - The Black Pearl
Completed Builds DeAgostini - Build the Millennium Falcon

Always thinking outside the box....!
royjess
Brigadier
Brigadier

Postby R2D2 » Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:37 pm

Thanks Julian and snapdragon. Ive managed to get the site to translate! I'm seriously thinking of getting the VW Split Screen Cobi. Ive always loved these as my father had one in the 70s! Looks a great model. Is anyone doing this on this forum?
R2D2
Lietenant Colonel
Lietenant Colonel

Postby Betto » Fri Feb 09, 2018 2:16 pm

Olivier alias 27flight
Betto
Colour Sergeant
Colour Sergeant

Postby conqueror060 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:51 pm

snapdragon you are fantastic! I am a tenso customer for many years and I just realized that I can use this company for any purchase from Japan, not only from yahoo Japan. Their service is a bit pricey though
Built: Ford Shelby Mustang, F1 Red Bull RB7, Bismarck, RC Spitfire, Millennium Falcon
Currently building: R2D2, USS Constitution, La Bretagne, Jaguar E-Type, McLaren MP4-4
Stashed: Hachette Mallard, Altaya Pacific 231, IJN Akagi
conqueror060
Sergeant
Sergeant

Postby conqueror060 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:55 pm

I also agree that France is a paradise for partwork fans!!!
Built: Ford Shelby Mustang, F1 Red Bull RB7, Bismarck, RC Spitfire, Millennium Falcon
Currently building: R2D2, USS Constitution, La Bretagne, Jaguar E-Type, McLaren MP4-4
Stashed: Hachette Mallard, Altaya Pacific 231, IJN Akagi
conqueror060
Sergeant
Sergeant

Postby Hum » Mon Feb 12, 2018 3:48 am

We don't get many partworks in Oz. The Falcon is coming to an end over here, I just received 94-97 today. So we should have R2 starting in the next few weeks. We are generally about a year behind the UK.
Which isn't that bad, gives us time to see all your mods and decide what to do with ours when we get it.

I gotta say, I can't wait for you guys to start building the X-Wing. Looking forward to lots of updates until we finally get it sometime in 2019.
Hum
Corporal
Corporal

Postby snapdragon » Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:28 am

Tenso are really good. I am Ok about the price as you have different types on a sliding scale plus commission which is where they make the money to provide the service.

They are also quick to get things turned around and sent out and for me the ability to put your own price on the package is invaluable as it means you can slip anything of a reasonable size through customs without adding 50% on in charges, import duty VAT etc and having the Post Office add on a collection fee to add insult to injury! :D :o

Using Tenso to get the replacement engine sprue for ZM's DO 335 A-12 and the ability to put my own price on the shipping label Rather than Volks sending me it direct and Customs having to get their calculators out meant that the cost of shipping was much less than the customs and collection fees would have been!

It sailed through without a problem. Shipped on Thursday, arrived the following Wednesday. It actually slowed up once it hit the great British Postal System!

If I want a ZM kit and it's not November then it's going to go through Tenso!

James
snapdragon
Colonel
Colonel

Postby R2D2 » Tue Mar 06, 2018 7:04 pm

Yet another three 1/8th scale models released in Europe! It seems Britain is left out again! :oops:
R2D2
Lietenant Colonel
Lietenant Colonel

Postby Hum » Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:53 am

I'm starting to think Australia will never get the R2 build. You guys are up to around issue 60 now?
We just got issue 100 for the Falcon, so ready for our next one.
Hum
Corporal
Corporal

Postby chill » Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:44 pm

Does seem a huge shame for the UK that we now have a drought of partworks. Many a time I remember going to Smiths at Xmas and in August to see the latest shelf editions of partworks. Hachette were the 'Rolls-Royce' of part works with the Titanic, then the now mythical Bismarck part works. Then a bit of a quantum shift to Deag and their part work offerings. Mainly ships .

The Hachette Tiger was very good and the much anticipated Hood arrived. But wasnt really a patch on the Bismarck - such as plastic guns casements . Still hugely regret not pushing with the Lancaster. :angry-banghead: :angry-banghead: :angry-banghead:

Now everything is on line, Maybe we will see the X-wing appear one day. But the green eyed monster lives on when I see the partworks available across the channel. :drool:
Who cares who wins
chill
Major General
Major General

Next

Return to Partwork previews