1:65 Vasa from DeAgostini!

Heard about a new partwork ? Tell us here

Re: 1:65 Vasa from DeAgostini!

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby snapdragon » Sat Mar 17, 2018 11:28 am

Soak the planks in hot water for about 20 minutes then lay them in place on the model, pinning into place. The planks will bend very happily but just let them follow the run naturally.

Don't fix them in place at the moment but just let them dry out in their own time. This will produce a lank that will, when fitted properly will have the right bend and rake.

You can do several planks at once with this method and they won't snap or splinter. Remember to do port and starboard at the same time to avoid warping and twisting the frame with equal planks to keep any stress the same so they cancel each other out.

Stealers may be needed to close up gaps between plank runs. Don 't try and force planks to sit tightly together around the bow and stern runs. Stealers (shaped planks) are a natural part of ship building. Cut to fit exactly while dry then soak and fit into place. Stealers may need a bit of persuasion to fit once soaked into place but once pinned and left to dry out into shape is the best way to fill gaps that are created with full plank runs.

Work equally on both sides and never try to rush the job. It will take a long time to plank a ship properly and there'll be two layers. Start from the top and work down to the keel and from midship to bow and stern and both sides equally.

James
Partwork Building is like meeting enemy action - no plan survives first contact!!
Certified model building idiot! Please treat with kindness!
snapdragon
Colonel
Colonel

Postby bird_d00 » Sat Mar 17, 2018 1:29 pm

Modelspace recommend that you DON'T use planking pins on the Vasa. There are cosmetic pins on the second layer of planking, that you don't want to chance hitting existing pins on the first layer. They recommend that you use planking clamps eg. by Model Shipways or by Amati (7377). I'm afraid you won't find either on Ebay - no trace of the Amati one (CMB out of stock), and I just bought the last Model Shipways one. About £16.00 including postage for either.

I'm still trying to decide what paints to use - too damn cold (and it's snowing) for Halfords rattle can primer outdoors, and I think I'd get murdered doing it in the kitchen like I used to before I got married. Can you airbrush with Vallejo primer (I have a booth) straight out of the bottle ?

David Bird
Built: Eaglemoss Vector3
Building: Hachette Mallard, Eaglemoss Endeavour X section, Altaya Bretagne, DeAgostini Wasa
bird_d00
Sergeant
Sergeant

Postby Mark » Sat Mar 17, 2018 1:35 pm

Do use planking pins, but don’t drive them home. Pull them out when the glue is dry.

Try looking at the DeAg Victory official build. It’s the only partwork I’ve seen where the instructions show the correct method of planking. Different ship, but the principle is the same.
Cheers
Mark

If you nose runs and your feet smell, you're upside down !
Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby tom1992 » Sat Mar 17, 2018 3:12 pm

I've tried a few different methods of hull planking with previous models. Whereas the planking clamps (I used the model shipways set) are good, I've found that they tend to split the frames (even with pre-drilled holes) or won't bite properly due to the thread being to small :angry-banghead:
My personal approved method of planking a ships hull (the one I've used on my S.o.t.S and will be using for all my future builds) is using 12mm brass planking pins knocked in 6mm (4mm into the frame) and removed after the glue has dried. As James has rightly said, pre-bending the strips in water/acetone and dry-fitting to the model and then filling the gaps is the best way of getting an even first layer of planking! :D
The better job you do of the first layer the easier/quicker it is to sand smooth the hull and easier/quicker it is to apply the 2nd decorative layer!
Cheers,
Tom.

BIGGEST IS ALWAYS BEST ;)

Built: Tiger Tank, Bismarck, 'O' gauge Canal boats.
Currently building: Lancaster Bomber, DC-3, 00 gauge model railway, Wasa
tom1992
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby tom1992 » Sat Mar 17, 2018 3:19 pm

Out of interest, I wonder what material DeA will be using for the planking? :think:

In the Victory and Bismarck it was 2 X 6mm birch strips but in the S.o.t.S it was Bamboo strips of the same size! I liked these as they were easier to bend and better to sand the drawbacks were that they tended to split if you didn't pre-drill the hole and they weren't perfectly square meaning you had to sand more to get a smooth hull! :snooty: (even though sanding was made easier by the wood! :shifty: )
Cheers,
Tom.

tom1992
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby snapdragon » Sat Mar 17, 2018 5:07 pm

You can get large bottles of Vallejo model air primer that you can use direct from the bottle with an airbrush. You might want to try the new badger airbrush primers as they are really good. You can use them directly from the bottle and they self level and are very nice yo use. Badger recommend a nozzle of 0.6 and a pressure of about 25 PSI.

When it comes to painting the vasa then I would recommend using an airbrush and acrylic paints and masking tape where needed.

With both Badger and Vallejo primers use bog standard tap water to thin if you need to.

I would not use acetone to help bend wood. Hot water or steam is the best letting them run and bend naturally using stealers where needed. I use 6mm pins using them to hold planks in place both during the placement and then gluing process, removing them once finished. Both layers.
Partwork Building is like meeting enemy action - no plan survives first contact!!
Certified model building idiot! Please treat with kindness!
snapdragon
Colonel
Colonel

Postby bird_d00 » Sun Mar 18, 2018 3:23 pm

Thanks Snaps for confirming that it's OK to use Vallejo primer straight out of the bottle. It's outside my experience and I was put off by a negative review on :evil: bay claiming it (white primer) repeatedly blocked his airbrush (but black didn't)! Possibly a rogue batch - anyway have some (60ml) on order now, so here's hoping. I didn't see any "large" bottles - 200ml was the largest I saw.

Airbrushing the Vasa would be a non-starter I think. Fine for the primers and varnish, but painting the details on all the little figures (there are an awful lot of them) and the like - no hope. Even brush painting some of the detail will be a nightmare - they recommend 00000 size brushes ! Time to break out the lining/drawing pens and Magic Color inks I think - I have these down to 0.1mm, and they are much easier to get on with than an airbrush (at least for me). I just need to be able to get on some primer without upsetting the domestic authorities too much.

David Bird
Built: Eaglemoss Vector3
Building: Hachette Mallard, Eaglemoss Endeavour X section, Altaya Bretagne, DeAgostini Wasa
bird_d00
Sergeant
Sergeant

Postby Paint_With_Penny » Sun Mar 18, 2018 3:46 pm

bird_d00 wrote:Thanks Snaps for confirming that it's OK to use Vallejo primer straight out of the bottle. It's outside my experience and I was put off by a negative review on :evil: bay claiming it (white primer) repeatedly blocked his airbrush (but black didn't)! Possibly a rogue batch - anyway have some (60ml) on order now, so here's hoping. I didn't see any "large" bottles - 200ml was the largest I saw.

Airbrushing the Vasa would be a non-starter I think. Fine for the primers and varnish, but painting the details on all the little figures (there are an awful lot of them) and the like - no hope. Even brush painting some of the detail will be a nightmare - they recommend 00000 size brushes ! Time to break out the lining/drawing pens and Magic Color inks I think - I have these down to 0.1mm, and they are much easier to get on with than an airbrush (at least for me). I just need to be able to get on some primer without upsetting the domestic authorities too much.

David Bird

Vallejo primer is usually blamed for blocked airbrush when quite often its because its been thinned with airbrush thinner. Airbrush thinner reduces the drying time of whatever you thin and this can be counter acted by adding a little retarder medium which slows down the drying time. White is always a difficult colour and quite often comes out speckled. I personally use Stynylrex primers. A touch more expensive but much better results.
Current Builds
    London Classic Routemaster
    Harley Davidson Fatboy
    Millenium Falcon
Completed Builds
    Woo, Steady On There cowboy
Paint_With_Penny
Corporal
Corporal

Postby conqueror060 » Sun Mar 18, 2018 6:06 pm

tom1992 wrote:I've tried a few different methods of hull planking with previous models. Whereas the planking clamps (I used the model shipways set) are good, I've found that they tend to split the frames (even with pre-drilled holes) or won't bite properly due to the thread being to small :angry-banghead:
My personal approved method of planking a ships hull (the one I've used on my S.o.t.S and will be using for all my future builds) is using 12mm brass planking pins knocked in 6mm (4mm into the frame) and removed after the glue has dried. As James has rightly said, pre-bending the strips in water/acetone and dry-fitting to the model and then filling the gaps is the best way of getting an even first layer of planking! :D
The better job you do of the first layer the easier/quicker it is to sand smooth the hull and easier/quicker it is to apply the 2nd decorative layer!

I totally agree. I'm always using brass nails to support the planking and when the glue is dried I remove all of them. I did it on both my Victory and Bismarck builds.

Also don't forget that in Vasa, exactly as in the Victory's instructions, sometimes you need to make the planks thinner to follow the curves of the ship perfectly. I'm astonished to see on Vasa instructions that they mention the exact dimensions you need to achieve on each plank (!) and this makes a really hard work a bit easier.

For bending the planks i'm using warm water and sometimes a very helpful electric bender I bought from Artesania Latina (not useful for the extreme bending needed in Victory though)
Last edited by conqueror060 on Sun Mar 18, 2018 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Built: Ford Shelby Mustang, F1 Red Bull RB7, Bismarck, RC Spitfire, Millennium Falcon
Currently building: R2D2, USS Constitution, La Bretagne, Jaguar E-Type, McLaren MP4-4
Stashed: Hachette Mallard, Altaya Pacific 231, IJN Akagi
conqueror060
Colour Sergeant
Colour Sergeant

Postby conqueror060 » Sun Mar 18, 2018 6:07 pm

But there are some models like USS Constitution and Soleil Royal, where the nails are permanent and you need to push them very well into the planks and then sand them to prepare the model for the second layer of planks. This isn't the case for Vasa, which needs the Victory planking method.
Built: Ford Shelby Mustang, F1 Red Bull RB7, Bismarck, RC Spitfire, Millennium Falcon
Currently building: R2D2, USS Constitution, La Bretagne, Jaguar E-Type, McLaren MP4-4
conqueror060
Colour Sergeant
Colour Sergeant

Postby tom1992 » Sun Mar 18, 2018 6:58 pm

Is this the plank bender that's essentially a soldering iron with a bearing attached to the end? I've got one and I have to say I didn't find it useful at all! Instead I've got a manual 'geared' plank bender where you adjust the size of the discs and clamp a plank between them and let it dry in that position. It's far more reliable and easy to use!
Cheers,
Tom.

tom1992
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby conqueror060 » Mon Mar 19, 2018 3:57 am

tom1992 wrote:Is this the plank bender that's essentially a soldering iron with a bearing attached to the end? I've got one and I have to say I didn't find it useful at all! Instead I've got a manual 'geared' plank bender where you adjust the size of the discs and clamp a plank between them and let it dry in that position. It's far more reliable and easy to use!

Yes, exactly this. It is a bit troublesome to use it. I mostly used it on Victory to achieve some slight curves needed, but it isn't useful for extreme bending (like the almost 90o bending needed for some planks of the Victory). But I agree it is hard to use it properly.
conqueror060
Colour Sergeant
Colour Sergeant

Postby Mark » Mon Mar 19, 2018 5:35 am

Conversely, I tried one of those wheel type benders and couldn't get on with it at all. On the other hand, I have an Amati electric plank bender and find it extremely useful and easy to use, on planks up to about 3mm thick. It's struggling with 4 & 5mm planks. Varies with the type of wood of course. I soak the planks in water for a few minutes, and find I can get really tight bends.

Each to their own of course.
Cheers
Mark

If you nose runs and your feet smell, you're upside down !
Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby tom1992 » Thu Mar 22, 2018 8:47 am

Hi everyone,

Just set up my build diary in the ships section link:http://www.partworkmodels.co.uk/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=179&t=8392 enjoy! :D
Cheers,
Tom.

tom1992
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Previous

Return to Partwork previews