keel

keel

Sponsor

Sponsor

keel

Postby mike » Sun Apr 18, 2010 7:41 pm

Hi Guys
well Ive got part 3 now,so Ive made a start cleaning up the frames,
glu ed the first to parts of the vertical keel. matter of interest the keel is 100mm deep so its quite sturdy.
No idea when the third part of the keel assy is comeing, Its not in issue 4 or 5, so can't move on much further
soon as I got the keel complete will post some pics

mike
mike
Captain
Captain

Re: keel

Postby Mark » Mon Apr 19, 2010 2:38 am

Annoying the way the parts of the keel don't come with the first three issues. It's definitely worth assembling the keel before gluing any frames on. Sooo much easier to get is flat and straight !
Cheers
Mark

If you nose runs and your feet smell, you're upside down !
Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby mike » Mon Apr 19, 2010 8:52 am

I clamped and glued part 1 and 2 of the keel on a sheet of glass, hopefully that should keep it flat.
the DVD show's the front part of the keel with the bow plates , and the first frames glued in postion including the deck.
as you said Mark not a good idea
Maybe this is to show you how, but for a first time builder it could lead to big prob's

mike
mike
Captain
Captain

Postby snapdragon » Mon Apr 19, 2010 11:11 am

Hi Folks

Mark is right. To make a sucsess of these models and kits it is the opening build that makes or breaks. The keel (which in most boxed kits comes complete in 1 piece) has to be 100% straight as do the frames across the keel. The more time spent doing this in the first stages will pay off not only with the final result but in the planking stages.

This is no project to rush. Not only do we have to make sure that the keel and frames are 100% square but we will also have to mark out and cut 100 gunports - no caldercraft ready cut patterns to go on here! Just old style italian building!

So! The more time spent here with the keel and frames means a much better result later on

James
Partwork Building is like meeting enemy action - no plan survives first contact!!
Certified model building idiot! Please treat with kindness!
snapdragon
Colonel
Colonel

Postby mike » Wed Apr 21, 2010 7:45 pm

Hi All
Got issue 4 today, probs already, parts list shows 15a and 15b ribs for frame 15. I got 15a and 18b!
Anybody else had this prob, maybe it was just mine thats packed with the wrong part, or there's a batch
of issue 4 thats wrong. Call to customer service tomorrow
mike
mike
Captain
Captain

Postby GrantJ » Wed Apr 21, 2010 8:04 pm

That is a bit disappointing mike but am sure they will sort it out for you :) - have faith as I e-mailed them the other day and within the hour had a reply - still reeling with shock!

Fortunately its not a part that you desperately need to carry on with your build.

How is the work on the cannon coming on?

I downloaded the Caldercraft instructions for their Victory and boy am I glad I am not building their kit. I think one needs to be a naval architect to figure out the rigging instructions. Quite happy with our choice even if we do have to cut out 100 holes for the guns :) Besides with a dremel tool and a small circular saw blade they will be a cinch anyway.

Hope you get sorted soon!
So many models, so little time!

Building:
HMS Victory
HMS Hood
Akagi
Bounty (on hold)

Built:
Bismarck
GrantJ
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby mike » Wed Apr 21, 2010 8:39 pm

Hi Grant
Yes it was a bit of a let down, only hope there's not to many mistakes through the build.
My biggest prob is where Im going to keep the Victory when its built
I haven't started work on the guns yet, trying to get the Bismarck finished
have you had any issue's yet
Ill let you know what customer sevice have to say.

mike
mike
Captain
Captain

Postby mike » Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:36 am

Hi Grant
Got on to customer sevice told them I had a wrong part in issue 4. They say that they haven't had any other calls on this so it must be a one off
take it back to news agent W H SMITH.
C'an't very well do that as I used some of the parts on the bow, so it looks like I will have to buy a new copy of issue 4
just my luck

hope the next mag is ok
mike
mike
Captain
Captain

Postby steam60 » Sun May 02, 2010 7:20 pm

been reading all these posts about wrong parts in issue 4 ran quickly to box where i'm keeping issues phew! mine ok though wh smith say that part 5 is coming out on 5th may so we are 1 week behind already or am i being picky
steam60
Regiment Sergeant Major
Regiment Sergeant Major

Postby GrantJ » Sun May 02, 2010 7:30 pm

Hi Steam

I received an email from them regarding issue 5 (see General Discussions - Issue 5 Delay) and it seems that the upheaval in all international flights due to volcanic ash delayed their recipt of issue 5 but all the following issues on track1

Building:
HMS Victory
HMS Hood
Akagi
Bounty (on hold)

Built:
Bismarck
GrantJ
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby mike » Wed May 05, 2010 7:57 pm

Hi all
Well I picked up issue 5 today , would you belive it another part wrong (am I jinxed)
should have 16a+16b 17a+17b rib frames. I got two 16a's instead of 17a, so its back to the newsagent tomorrow.
Still no sign of the third part of the keel plate. Part 6 is Victory's launch this looks like a great little model its self
frame ribs and planked.
Part seven is more rib frames, hopefully will post some pic's this weekend.
I have finished the 12pounder gun
check your issue's guys

mike
mike
Captain
Captain

Postby GrantJ » Wed May 05, 2010 9:00 pm

Rotten luck on getting the wrong parts again but at least you can go to your newsagent and exchange them :)

Looking forward to seeing some pics Mike and issue 6 does sound interesting.

Should be getting my first two any day now :)

Building:
HMS Victory
HMS Hood
Akagi
Bounty (on hold)

Built:
Bismarck
GrantJ
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby mike » Thu May 06, 2010 7:24 pm

Exchanged issue 5 today, got the right parts this time, little bit worried the news agent said Im not the only one with wrong parts.
so I think Ill fire off a polite but to the point letter to DeAGOSTINI tomorrow, and see what they have to say.
anyway I hope it does not happen again

mike
mike
Captain
Captain

Postby GrantJ » Sat May 08, 2010 8:03 am

Happy to hear you got your parts sorted :)

When are we going to see the start of your build diary?

I am busy planning my building jig - can you tell me what thickness the keel wood is so i can fasten my supports in place? :?:

Building:
HMS Victory
HMS Hood
Akagi
Bounty (on hold)

Built:
Bismarck
GrantJ
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby cliff60 » Wed Nov 21, 2012 6:54 pm

Check to make sure the ribs r correct. For some reason mine r not the right size. I didnt notice it till after i completed all the decks and fitted the masts. the masts r centre of the deck but r not centre of the keel and r not going straight up like they should. They lean to 1 side. I measured the ribs and found they r 10mm wider on 1 side so it means the hull is not in the centre of the keel like it should be. I had the same prob with the bounty 10 yrs ago. But not so bad as that only had 1 rib not cut right. That had 1 rib 15mm too wide on 1 side and 15mm not wide enough on the other. So i ended up with a bulge on 1 side and a dent on the other at that 1 rib lol.
cliff60
Corporal
Corporal

Postby chill » Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:19 pm

Any chance of pictures?
Who cares who wins
chill
Major General
Major General

Return to Hull and planking