Reviving the Hatchette Build the Bismarck collecting dust

The Bismarck has her own forum which is very quiet now. Here's a little section for anybody on this forum who is still building it

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby jmzcons » Sat Mar 03, 2018 3:04 pm

Hello
I have been pondering over the years while my incomplete Bismarck is collecting dust.
Built the Hull, got the main superstructure ready and found out that most of the magazine issues and parts are out of stock.
Tempted using Trumpeter 1/200 sprue replacement parts for the turrets and funnels. May have to reinvent some parts since these are either
non existent or way too much to pay for especially for shipping to Canada.
Anyone got any thoughts on this..should I just scrap the idea and junk it and get a trumpeter Bismarck instead
But dont like the plastic hull . I could use the Hatchette hull instead ?
hmmm Decision. Any thoughts will be gratefully appreciated
James
jmzcons
Private
Private

Re: Reviving the Hatchette Build the Bismarck collecting dust

Postby tom1992 » Sat Mar 03, 2018 9:33 pm

Hiya James,

I was in a similar situation, I bought the collection 2nd hand off eBay but it was about 70% complete so i had to spend a lot of time and money rummaging around trying to complete the set.

In your position I wouldn't attempt to collect the outstanding issues.
On the trumpeter front, I also don't like the plastic hull, I helped my mate build his trumpeter model as I had already built mine.
Another suggestion that might be worth exploring is that DeAgostini have launched a 1:200 Bismarck partwork, I'd place a bet on it being the same designer as the Hachette model. You could start a subscription but start at like issue 30 or something. Worth a try but it seems a shame to throw away what you've got.
Hope this helps a little,
Cheers,
Tom.

BIGGEST IS ALWAYS BEST ;)

Built: Tiger Tank, Bismarck, 'O' gauge Canal boats.
Currently building: Lancaster Bomber, DC-3, 00 gauge model railway, Wasa
tom1992
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby bird_d00 » Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:37 am

I don't know about your local "branch" of DeAgostini, but the UK one has been out of stock of the Bismarck for quite some time. Just checked, and the US "branch" don't even list the Bismarck - https://www.model-space.com/us/model-ships.htm. Maybe you can get it from the supplier direct? Not sure who that is though. Best of luck with your search.

David Bird
Built: Eaglemoss Vector3
Building: Hachette Mallard, Eaglemoss Endeavour X section, Altaya Bretagne, DeAgostini Wasa
bird_d00
Corporal
Corporal

Postby jmzcons » Sun Mar 04, 2018 11:05 pm

Thanks Tom
Thanks David
jmzcons
Private
Private

Return to Bismarck