Suspension and Running Gear

including interior details, the engine and transmission, etc.

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Ironoutlaw » Thu Aug 15, 2013 3:09 am

Hi all

Just wanted to express my disappointment with this matter. Let's be frank, the suspension on this model is rubbish. On the real tank, the suspension was with 16 torsion bars. Due to the tank's weight it needed all these so that the weight could be more evenly spread and the overlapping wheels avoided having to use really small road wheels. So that they could fit the torsion bars in the builders had the left hand swing arms trailing forward but the right hand arms trailed backwards. Why didn't the model manufacturer do the same???

To fix this, I am ditiching the entire hull bottom and replacing it with a piece of aluminium. I have redrilled the right side plate of the hull to allow the swing arms to trail backwards, and I am replacing the stupid spring susppension with brass torsion bars.

Another consequence of the springs is that it has taken up too much room in the hull, narrowing the space available. If you Google pics of the Tiger's interior, you will see a photo of the driver's position. Just beside his left leg is the shock absorber for the leading torsion bar, something omitted from the kit. The cover over the suspension in the kit also moves the driver's seat too far towards the centre of the model and has it way out of line to the foot pedals.

I have also ordered extra issues with track links so that I can have them on the front of the tank.

Why am I so picky? I am a former Australian Army Centurion tank commander and Troop Sgt. Now I will prepare my gripe for the section on the turret and gun.

Cheers

Iron Outlaw
Ironoutlaw
Cadet

Re: Suspension and Running Gear

Postby Eric » Thu Aug 15, 2013 9:59 am

Sounds very interesting, I'm looking forward to seeing your progress. Lots of pics please!!!
Building;
HMS Hood
Tiger Tank
RMS Titanic

Built;
Bismarck
Eric
Colonel
Colonel

Re: Suspension and Running Gear

Postby CommanderBert » Mon Oct 21, 2013 4:02 pm

Totally agree with you, I have found a site that can supply extras that my interest you.
try.....theallertons@fsmail.net I found them very helpful.

Bert
CommanderBert
Colour Sergeant
Colour Sergeant

Return to The Hull