Snaps Stuka Build

Hachette's JU-87 Stuka Diver bomber. This has been released in several countries in Europe, but is not available in the UK. (but we live in hope)

Issue 18

Sponsor

Sponsor

Issue 18

Postby snapdragon » Sun Jan 08, 2012 12:53 pm

Thanks for all your support chaps. It keeps me going so keep up with the encouragement

Issue 18 parts

Along with issue 18 we also have parts from issue 1 and the clear acitate sheet that forms the glass for the dials from issue 6.

THe build

That is the basic build.

THis is how it looks all together With a couple of extra coats of paint. It is unfinished at the moment there are lots of little buttons & levers etc to add. I Won't be adding those until prior to installing it into the cockpit. Those who deal with these type of parts recognise that they will probably get broken off at some point and lost so what's the use tempting fate.

There is a part missing from the parts photo. On emptying the packet a loose bit of tiny brass tubing escaped and bounced off the table and onto the floor where the under bench parts goblin was seen to dissapear with it. Once I can get onto my hands and knees with a bright light I may be able to retreieve it, else it is a replacement issue 18 for the part!

I will update this with more photos later on in the build.

James
Partwork Building is like meeting enemy action - no plan survives first contact!!
Certified model building idiot! Please treat with kindness!
snapdragon
Colonel
Colonel

Issue 19

Postby snapdragon » Sun Jan 08, 2012 1:02 pm

Another update for you all

Issue 19 deals with the firewall and aft bulkhead.

I am not fitting these parts just yet, despite instructions as I want the space to be able to put in the bomb sight, any oil or fuel tanks and room to get my large fingers in to the gunners section for fitting the parts.

Here they are removed from the fret and bent to shape. All I have to do is prime and paint them and fix when ready. I have done a couple of dry fits, but they will have to be glued on properly to remain seated. For those who will end up building this if or when it is released here the fit of these two parts does depend on the accuracy of your frame build up to this point. Any bending or misalignment of the frame will result in these two parts not fitting properly so builders MUST take care with the alignment and fit of the cockpit frame and look for a 100% accuracy.

James
Partwork Building is like meeting enemy action - no plan survives first contact!!
snapdragon
Colonel
Colonel

Re: Snaps Stuka Build

Postby snapdragon » Sun Jan 08, 2012 1:28 pm

Issue 20

Oil tank

THe parts

The build

Not so hard this issue. Glue some fireboard together to start with.

Once dry sand it so that any ridges and nubs are gon and it is smooth

Bend the fixing straps to shape, starting with the curve at the front of the tank. These photos show dry fits. The actual gluing makes sure that the straps are in the correct place and alignment.

Put the four piece filler cap together

Stick it onto the top of the oil tank

Hey Presto! Ready for a priming and painting session

James
snapdragon
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Julian » Sun Jan 08, 2012 2:10 pm

Looking good James :clap: :clap: :clap:
If it's Not Broke, Take it apart and make it better

Timmy Mallet

http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/
Julian
Brigadier
Brigadier

Issue 21

Postby snapdragon » Sun Jan 29, 2012 10:04 pm

Issue 21 build

The parts.

The Build

These parts are not yet added to the cockpit as I have yet to prime and paint them. Also I think I may need a little more space to add cockpit components so these parts which are the firewall and the rear cockpit bulkhead will go on a little later in the build.

snapdragon
Colonel
Colonel

Issue 22 Build

Postby snapdragon » Sun Jan 29, 2012 10:27 pm

Issue 22 Build

The Parts.

The Build

We are now starting the cockput components and start with the mount for the pilots instruments.

At least up to build 32 are all components that fit into the cockpit and even at 1/16 some are small and I have to use my close up lenses.

Some of these parts here will have extra detailing put on in the next build
snapdragon
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Mark » Sun Jan 29, 2012 10:32 pm

Very impressive Snap. Lots of detail going in to the model.
Cheers
Mark

If you nose runs and your feet smell, you're upside down !
Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Issue 23 build

Postby snapdragon » Sun Jan 29, 2012 10:33 pm

Issue 23 Build

The Parts

Not all these are used this build

The Build

Detail work is put onto components from the last build

Eventually these will be primed and painted RLM66 with other colours and placards as detailed from cockpit research.
snapdragon
Colonel
Colonel

Postby DJG Downunder » Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:18 am

Awesome as usual James.
I'm glad you've received some more parts, I was going into withdrawals. :mrgreen:
DJG Downunder
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Issue 21 revisited!

Postby snapdragon » Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:22 pm

Hi chaps

A big oops with issue 21 and it is my fault. I posted issue 19 pics instead of this one.

I am suprised no one caught it!!

apart from the one above I am afraid I accidentally deleted the build and parts pictures. It goes together like issue 20. No big deal apart from getting th mounting straps correct.

James
snapdragon
Colonel
Colonel

Postby chill » Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:10 pm

Superb amount of detail already at such an early stage of the build.

Cant wait for further in the build, wings engines etc.
Who cares who wins
chill
Major General
Major General

Postby baby_astons » Thu Feb 02, 2012 2:44 pm

engines?? :mrgreen:
building:DB5~E-Type~Testarossa~Aston Vantage V12~Millennium Falcon

stash: viewtopic.php?f=157&t=5628

Always forgive your enemies - nothing annoys them so much.
baby_astons
General
General

Postby snapdragon » Thu Feb 02, 2012 3:31 pm

Engine?

not yet I'm afraid. Still working on the cockpit. Expect the engine somewhere between issues 120 - 140 and that is quite a way off seeing that I only have up to issue 32 at this moment in time.

How is your stuka box looking???

James
snapdragon
Colonel
Colonel

Postby baby_astons » Thu Feb 02, 2012 5:36 pm

the box is fine snaps :mrgreen: ,
haven't been able to pick up the last 4 issues 'till today, so everything is up to date now -
building will still take it's time, inspired by the soldering gang, this may need a bit of attention (like my db5... :shifty: )

baby_astons
General
General

Issue 24 build

Postby snapdragon » Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:40 pm

Sorry about the delay on updates but I have been trying to get infront with a few other builds or at least try and finish a few!

Here we are with issue 24

The parts

The Build

It seems that this cockpit interior will go on for a while. There seems to be lots to do and detail and with the parts being small it is slow and painstaking work. I am not in a rush to build but prefer to get it right by going slowly and taking a couple of days between issues to absorb what I have done and plan the next one by translating the text and looking at the pictures!

I don't know how our American member has got so far ahead unless he has jumped a few issues, but as I am logging each issue build for the members I am sure that you will all forgive my slow progress.

more detail work on the next issue and I am pretty sure that the radio and radio racks are coming up in the next few issues.

Once again. Comments welcome

James
snapdragon
Colonel
Colonel

Postby DJG Downunder » Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:39 am

Hello James, the throttle quadrant looks exceptional.
"Painstaking work", I unfortunately have to take your word for it, but you do seem to make it look easy in your build. No doubt the zero will give me a taste of what working with metal is like.
You must get heaps of personal satisfaction out of the final products here, the detail in the cockpit panels is awesome, each one is a complete project on its own.
I was amazed by the transformation of the instrument panel, it looked great before you painted it, and even better afterwards.
DJG Downunder
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Postby DJG Downunder » Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:40 am

Oops, forgot to mention the "K"
DJG Downunder
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Postby snapdragon » Thu Mar 08, 2012 12:36 am

Thanks DJG

I will be doing a Zero update shortly.

You must not be fazed by working with metal and you will find that the zero is probably the better one of the two to start with. I must say that it is very wise to dry fit numerous times before fixing permanently so that you fully understand how the parts go together.

Don't forget that you also need to prime the parts before painting and so far with the zero I have found this to be the best policy. dry fit, prime, paint and then fix, especially with the wing starts and botom frame. A wise man drills the holes first, dry fit, prime, paint, dry fit screw and fix with glue. Also realise that with the ribs you will need to place other parts such as fuel tanks, connecting rods, wiring for the lights so just dry fit the wing ribs in place.

A word of warning. the screws are tiny - and I mean tiny! Be careful and don't loose any!

As to the stuka, I am getting ready to prime and paint some of the cockpit components. I have just recieved parts 33-40 and there is a cockpit wiring diagram of sorts with one of them. I don't know if wiring comes with this partwork, but I think that I will be having an introduction to the uses of fuse wire. As I write this I have issues 25 and 26 completed. Issue 27 is under construction and it is the two radios. During construction of the two radios I will have to go backwards and forwards between the painting and building benches to get them right. There is lots of detail on the radio faces to build and the painting.... an airbrush won't cut this so it will have to be brush and cocktail stick painted and the detail is tiny!

If anyone knows which models of radios was in the Stuka G Then post here so I can get the detail painting accurate!

James
snapdragon
Colonel
Colonel

Postby baby_astons » Sun Apr 08, 2012 6:40 pm

nice to see you catching up!!
still undecided about soldering...
I never quite checked out at what issue the germans were - but it intrigued me as well that our US boys are so far ahead...

baby_astons
General
General

Postby Experten » Tue May 01, 2012 3:46 pm

I am on issue 87 of the Stuka, with 88-91on the way. I am running about 2 weeks behind the german group. I will be done with the wings by issue 96 it looks like.

I don't know if you guys have seen this site:
http://mmodell.de/forum/index.php?page= ... 0&pageNo=1

I have found that the only areas that seem to require soldering are the Firewall, the joint plate of the upper rear fuselage half, and the vertical plates at the tail. This observation is based on many, MANY re-glues of these areas.

I'll try and post pictures soon.

Mark
Mark
The crazy Yank
Current builds: Altalya Citroen 2CV, Fabbri-Centauria LaFerrari, DeAgostini Shelby Mustang, DeAgostini Jaguar, Hachette Lancaster, (and one or two others)
Experten
Regiment Sergeant Major
Regiment Sergeant Major

PreviousNext

Return to Ju-87 Stuka