TAKOM KITS

Sponsor

Sponsor

TAKOM KITS

Postby builder76 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:46 pm

Anyone built/ heard of Takom kits , somewhat new to me. :roll:
Comments please. :!:

John
Life requires patience & understanding, as do hobbies.
builder76
Colour Sergeant
Colour Sergeant

Re: TAKOM KITS

Postby snapdragon » Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:18 am

I have done a couple and for some reason had issues with fitment of parts and I can never work out if it is me or the kit. the kits are really well formed and quality stuff, but occasionally they don't think things through especially with their full interior kits, such as moulding ammunition to the racks.

They have some really nice subjects and I have seen some really good finished builds. I would suggest that you get hold of one and have a bash at it. Every kit is a learning experience!

The watch word is just keep dry fitting every piece before you commit to glue and make sure you get to know the kit, its parts, the build sequence and have a plan!
Partwork Building is like meeting enemy action - no plan survives first contact!!
snapdragon
Lietenant Colonel
Lietenant Colonel

Postby builder76 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:18 am

Thanks Snapdragon for your usual helpful informative reply. :D

I always find it preferable to seek info on a kit I have never built before.(could even save money!!!) ;)
Ever since I made a mistake on an early kit and not dry fitted a part (had to replace the kit ) I always do so now . :x
Reading and re-reading the plan is also I have found necessary, as is placing the sprues in the order of build.
Also, try to have a cunning build plan in mind ( forgive my quote by Baldrick -I am a Blackadder fan). :idea:
I have left a web link below just in case you wanted to see what I was planning to build. :drool:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/152783772808 ... e#shpCntId

John :D
builder76
Colour Sergeant
Colour Sergeant

Postby snapdragon » Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:06 am

That's round about RRP when you add on postage. The UK RRP is RRP: £51.99 and the importer/distributor is Pocketbond. Notorious for their overcharging pricing.

This is their latest and there's not many about so you might want to hang fire on that for a while and consider something else from the Takom range.

If you want that Chassis, my usual Ebayer Supplier has this at a much more reasonable price including postage. It will take a week to arrive though.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Takom-1-35-2086-British-Medium-Tank-M3-Grant-/172958920215?hash=item284527ae17

It is £41.80 including shipping. It is one of Takoms recent releases (last month I think) and the official pocketbond price is £47.99!

My Ebay supplier may get the one you are looking at at a later date and it will always be just that bit cheaper than here.
Partwork Building is like meeting enemy action - no plan survives first contact!!
snapdragon
Lietenant Colonel
Lietenant Colonel

Postby Mark » Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:10 am

I’m building one of the Takom kits. It went together faultlessly. It was the heavy mortar.
Based on that, I’d buy another of their kits. The only down side I’ve heard about them is the British Tank tracks are overly complicated with lots of bits per track link.
Cheers
Mark

If you nose runs and your feet smell, you're upside down !
Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby builder76 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:25 pm

Thanks Snapdragon for your information & research. :D
Unfortunately if you persuse forum-The Model Show Case/ m3 Grant Mk1 North Africa )1942 /you will see that I have already built this particular model.
I have spoken to the seller who is selling the kit on behalf of someone else. As much as I would like to build this unusual kit, I will just NOT pay £12.00 for local UK postage :laughing-rolling:
Many thanks again Snapdragon anyway for your time & trouble. 8-)

Mark
Mark wrote:I’m building one of the Takom kits. It went together faultlessly. It was the heavy mortar.
Based on that, I’d buy another of their kits. The only down side I’ve heard about them is the British Tank tracks are overly complicated with lots of bits per track link.

Thanks Mark for the vote of confidence in Takom.
When purchasing, I will bear in mind the possible "British Track" assembly problem. :angelic-sunshine: :D

John
builder76
Colour Sergeant
Colour Sergeant

Postby snapdragon » Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:27 pm

It's no problem to help.

I usually look at and follow builds in the plastic kits section. I must admit to not looking in the model display section as often as I should :oops:

However, I have built this from Takom:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Takom-1-35-2023-German-12-8Cm-Flak-40-Zwilling-/171907542878?hash=item28067cef5e

It was a very nice build and turned out well and I did enjoy it. Aber do metal barrels for it too which although mine was just an OOB build, they will add to the kit.

I have come across a proposal to put that on an E100 hull. I will have to have a go at getting that kit again and one of Amusing Hobbies E-100 tanks and try mating the two together! Could be an interesting build!

James
snapdragon
Lietenant Colonel
Lietenant Colonel

Postby builder76 » Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:28 am

Hi James,
That kit looked a very interesting build. The idea of putting it on a E 100 hull ,should be a ideal base . The overall build would greatly benefit from the combination. 8-) :D
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Takom-1-35-2 ... 28067cef5e
Look forward to seeing the final combination build :angelic-sunshine: .

John
ps
I also enjoy the unusual. I have built an Tamiya kit ..... Flakvierling 4 barrelled 20 mm mounted on a 8 Ton semi track SD.KFZ 7/1. Enjoyed the build it was something different from the basic AFV`s. Its in Model showcase if you would like to view. Grateful for your comments. :!:
builder76
Colour Sergeant
Colour Sergeant

Return to The Mess Room