Time away from the bench is needed!

The place for idle chatter

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby snapdragon » Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:14 pm

With this damn cold not budging much, although I am feeling better, I have decided to have some time away from the bench as at this moment the motivation has just gone.

My 12 days of Christmas build just wasn't going anywhere and with Meng's D9R slat armour kit there was just too much in the kit to be done in 12 days and my decision not to prime was just not the right decision and the paint just keeps coming off when handled!

So I am scrapping that kit totally and I will replace it in my stash to be done properly at a later date. It is a really nice kit with lots of detail (and parts) plus many moving ones and so this kit needs longer than 12 days. Sorry for that guys.

I won't be joining in with the Christmas competition with the freebie Tank I got and instead will save that for next year.

I need time away to sort out my workroom and just what I have in and what I want to get as well as a good rest. Do some reading, research play some online games etc. and have a good break.

I have had some good information come my way from German Archives which has made me look at a series of kit builds on an Alternate 1946 scheme and could be fun to do and will involve multiple subject builds from Amusing Hobby, Trumpeter, Takom etc.

I also need to save up to travel and get a new passport as a different set of 4 walls will help a great deal. At this moment I have no idea how long I will be away from the bench but I really just need to recharge the batteries, see what I have in, purchase AM as needed etc and just have a general clear-out of all the c**p that has accumulated.

I will still be on here causing mayhem and chaos as usual and providing help and information and I will, of course be posting news on kits etc as well as photographing the stuff I have so you can all see what is in the box(s).

Meng's Tiger II with interior is purring in the corner as is their new Panther A. There are several Panther's with full interior coming from Takom and Rye Field Models so I could be doing more armour this year than anything when I return to the bench. Full interior kits are time consuming but fun. If the Alternate 1946 builds have made anyone's ears prick up then just post here. It could be a good discussion point!

James
Partwork Building is like meeting enemy action - no plan survives first contact!!
snapdragon
Lietenant Colonel
Lietenant Colonel

Re: Time away from the bench is needed!

Postby steve131 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:42 pm

1946 kit certainly of interest to myself. Shame about the Dozer ,you said you don't do diorama's so can't have blown up by I E D . Time from bench to see the real world always a tonic ,I'd be uber stoked if I had Russian adventure like you on cards . My passports also run out cost to replace for Wife and two children :o :o :o :naughty: :naughty: so we holiday in Cornwall now 8-)
steve131
Colonel
Colonel

Postby chill » Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:42 pm

And another one bites the dust ....
Who cares who wins
chill
Major General
Major General

Postby snapdragon » Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:07 pm

The D9R will return with a new kit and a proper build with Eduards interior set. hat's the only extra thing that the kit needs.

There is a lot of very tempting and interesting stuff coming in 2018, but initially my focus must me my Ukranian trip. The lady and myself have been exchanging letters and video chats through a dating website for just over a year now and I feel that I must get a proper reading of this lady because I do have feelings towards her and so boots on the ground is a must. It also gives me an opportunity to change the scenery which is no bad thing!

So with the alternate 1946 tank builds I have to set the scene with not only an alternate historic scenario, but also what the Germans were planning to do.

Let's first look at the alternative history,

Let us start with events in Russia. Barbarossa in 1941 was a complete success for the Germans and their Allies. There were a few nasty suprises such as the T-34, KV1 etc which changed the way the Germans started to design and build their tanks.

The offensive which saw Stalingrad turn into a battleground was not a defeat for the Germans but a close run victory as the Luftwaffe was able to keep the sixth army supplied and Group Army Don was able to break through, reinforce the sixth army and push the Russians back out of Stalingrad.

The Kursk Salient battle in 1943 saw the Germans field brand new tanks -- Panther and Tiger 1. These were a total success and saw the Russian armour turned into scrap with both long range and close up fighting. The Kursk Salent and bulge was taken out by the combined forces of Tank, infantry and Luftwaffe support and brought the eatern front to an unconfortable stalemate with neither force able to make a breakthrough.

In the west D-Day went ahead and was successful. The allies rampaged through france and rolled up the German forces and their new weapons with just overwhelming numbers thanks to American manufacturing. By this time the Tiger II had been fielded and the Panther had been replaced by the Panther II. Both fielded the tank killing 88mm L/71 main gun and so the adenns offencive in December 1944 totally took the western front allies by surprise and it was one that they couldn't recover from as their forces were split and highly mobile KampfGruppe (war group) of Panther IIs and mechanised infantry caused havoc in rear areas destroying fuel, ammunition and repair areas etc in hit and run raids.

As 1946 starts the western front is split with the Americans being pushed well back into France and the British in a salient from the North Sea to Ghent in Belgium.

The Afrika Korps under Rommel were pushed back at El Alamein and the Americans invading with operation torch found the Afrika Corps fighting on two fronts. Fortunately, with two Armoured Regiments of Panther II and 1 regiment of the new Tiger II with Panzer IV attachments and a squadron of Tiger 1 tanks plus 5 infantry battalions threw the unbloodied and untried American forces back into the sea in a lightning three pronged Blitzkrieg attack. Once done and with a brief operational pause for repositioning, Rommel led his Afrika Corps back against the British and commonwealth forces and by January 1946 were facing them on a line from Marsa Matruh on the coast to Siwa Oasis in the south some 250-300Km from Cairo and the Suez Canal.

In Germany The Tiger II was improved with first units coming off the line in July/August 1944 with better engines, a more powerful 105mm main gun, air conditioning and heating for the crews and other upgrades. The Tiger I has ceased production with units either getting Panther II or Tiger II tanks as a replacement and after a meeting in January 1944 and a decision to make armour production quicker and easier the different tanks were being brought together with the E-series of designs to enable quicker manufacture and consolidate spares, repairs etc to make everything more streamlined.

First units were coming off production lines in January 1946 after intense testing in November 1944 and were being rolled out, replacing the Tiger II and Panther II, Panzer IV etc. Tank destroyer versions of the E-series were also being produced along with some stopgap TD's that had proved very successful using a 128mm Pak as well as other heavy armament. Apart from the Ardennes offensive all fronts were quiet during the heavy snows that winter apart from local skirmishes and patrol actions which gave the Germans chance to rotate units in and out of the line, re-equip and train the crews on the new tanks.
Partwork Building is like meeting enemy action - no plan survives first contact!!
snapdragon
Lietenant Colonel
Lietenant Colonel

Postby casper » Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:15 pm

interesting reading and history lesson snaps :)
keep the scraped D9R for your next build, you may need some extra parts. Now get those boots on and go looking for love ;) :D
My Honda MP4/4 Build Diary
viewtopic.php?f=80&t=5208
casper
General
General

Postby snapdragon » Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:37 pm

Thanks Casp and the rest.

Now to the kits.

For the King Tiger I want to build the July 1945 updated one. Now there is only one kit on the Market, not cheap and it is this one

I should build two, with one having DAK camo and one having Eastern/western front three tone camo. I hate the link and lenth tracks, so Friul ones will be got!

Panther II

Jagdpanther II

Again, 2 of each with DAK and 2 tone Camo

More tomorrow!
snapdragon
Lietenant Colonel
Lietenant Colonel

Postby steve131 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:40 am

Very nice ,how much they go for :?:
steve131
Colonel
Colonel

Postby wingnut » Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:26 pm

Good luck James with your trip to the Ukrainian and I hope everything works out for you and your lady friend, don't be a "stranger" for too long.
cheers, Mike ;)
Coming second place makes you the fastest loser.
wingnut
Captain
Captain

Postby snapdragon » Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:57 pm

I'll be around here, just not building that is all and having a good clear up and out!

Steve. Prices depend on where you want to purchase from. The Tiger II kit is a Takom one but under the Mig Ammo brand. Ebay has some ridiculous prices for this kit as it has Limited Edition on it. I have found it local to me for £53.

Tiger Hobbies of Sheffield import Amusing Hobby kits now and they retail between £40-50 here in the UK. My Ebay supplier in China sells them including postage for about £8-10 cheaper.

Some more kits that I want to include, Paper Panzers not mentioned in my alternate scenario but still valid

According to information received and notes translated from a meeting it was decided that two versions of these vehicles would be designed. They would be Light and heavy versions with the only difference being the main gun. The light version would be the 105mm PAK main gun and the heavy would have a 128mm PAK. The breeches of the guns would be redesigned to fit in the turrets and ammunition redesigned accordingly.

This meant that the breeches would be shorter and the ammunition cases shorter and fatter to still provide the amount of propellant needed to make these two guns one shot tank killers. The VK 7201(K) would be the heavier of the two and would have thicker front and side armour than the Panzer VII (Lowe) and would be named Lepoard. In reality these designs were submitted as part of the competition for the new heavy tank. THe tank we know as the Tiger II won.

These kits will be combined with Friul tracks and metal barrels both 105 and 128mm from Mr Modellbau in Germany. I do have a Lowe partially built with the metal 105mm on it and I shall continue with that when the time comes.

Also I shall be including this:

I already have 1 in my stash so another need obtaining and a couple of sets of Friul tracks!

There are lots of Trumpeter kits that I need to add and I will start here

Metal barrels and Friul tracks as needed/available.

More another day!
snapdragon
Lietenant Colonel
Lietenant Colonel

Postby chill » Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:51 am

So what is the time scale for us all to see all these kits made and in a diorame?
Who cares who wins
chill
Major General
Major General

Postby snapdragon » Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:57 pm

I don't do dioramas. My Idea is just to do straightforward builds in European and DAK camouflage to represent an alternative 1946 timeframe for a "what if these were made" view.

No timeframe has been been decided on at this moment. I am waiting for Vallejo to release some Dunkelgelb paint variants and I do want to get a few of those kits in so I have a choice of subjects.

I do have a part built Amusing Hobby Lowe which I can paint up in DAK camouflage as a start. It will be an ongoing paper panzer/alternate reality project throughout the year. I may also add some aircraft too such as an ME 262 in Luftwaffe desert colours and the ZM Ta 152 I have in my stash could look good in desert colours too as well as a Horten 335 flying wing in both desert and European camouflage and a two seater in night camouflage.

There is plenty to do when you look around and there are some resin kits that use some of the base kits above to make other alternative vehicles, but they are expensive!

It also may be possible to combine different kits too to produce unusual vehicles.

James
snapdragon
Lietenant Colonel
Lietenant Colonel

Return to The Mess Room