Advent calendars

The place for idle chatter

Advent calendars

Sponsor

Sponsor

Advent calendars

Postby Mark » Mon Dec 03, 2018 6:13 am

It's that time of year again. I remember as a kid, the advent calendar had a picture behind each door. Oh, the joy of revealing a new picture each day.
But now we have Lego, Smiggle stationary, numerous beauty products, chocolates by the score, wine (one of which is winging its way to me :D ) whisky, gin, and so on....... There is even a 1/43 Porsche kit advent calendar, made in Germany of course.
It's probably a good job that Tamiya and MFH aren't producing such products. Not sure my stash (or cupboard to be more accurate) could stand another 24 kits!

So, what products would you like to see in an advent calendar? For me, an Ultima kit car, supplied in 24 daily stages. Mind, I'd need 3 Shredded Wheat for breakfast to lift a V8 engine out of that little window!
Cheers
Mark

If you nose runs and your feet smell, you're upside down !
Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Advent calendars

Postby wingnut2 » Mon Dec 03, 2018 5:00 pm

:occasion-xmas: Yes you are so right :) I have fond memories of Christmas time one of which was the advent calendar and yes you are spot on with just a pic with a Christmas theme in the window, that was very special :) back then, times were simpler then :D as for my own calendar :think: may be a lottery ticket in very window :laughing-rolling:
Just to carry with this thread (hope you don't mind Mark ;) ) other memories of Christmas are... Tangerines that peeled easy :laughing-rolling: and a box of dates that know one but me ate :laughing-rolling: pomegranates and a bowl of mixed nuts still in their shells.
How about you guy's :?:
W2 ;)
When the tuff get going follow them........
wingnut2
Regiment Sergeant Major
Regiment Sergeant Major

Postby casper » Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:58 am

I remember the star wars chocolate advent calendars from ROTS and attack of the clones :think: :)
Shane (my son) has had three Lego advent calendars, Only the Granddaughters this year :occasion-xmas:
My Honda MP4/4 Build Diary
viewtopic.php?f=80&t=5208
casper
General
General

Postby Mark » Tue Dec 04, 2018 3:41 pm

Yup, I remember mum and dad buying a box of dates and a bowl of nuts. The challenge was to try and get a walnut out in one piece!
We also had indoor fireworks, that stank the house out, and played board games Christmas evening.
Cheers
Mark

Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby wingnut2 » Tue Dec 04, 2018 4:51 pm

:occasion-santa: More memories, In our house every Christmas day meant Christmas pudding with a "Sixpence" (2 1/2 p) hiding inside and on the TV there was always "Top of the pops" and a "Sinbad the sailor" movie :)
W2 ;)
wingnut2
Regiment Sergeant Major
Regiment Sergeant Major

Postby steve131 » Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:41 pm

Snowball drink 8-) loved the dates with the funny fork had tasty tangerine and triangle nuts you could never break . Then new year party at Belfry golf course.
steve131
Colonel
Colonel

Postby casper » Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:01 pm

Also remember clutching the Top of the Pops album sleeve for hours admiring he cover ;) :D :o :laughing-rolling:
My Honda MP4/4 Build Diary
viewtopic.php?f=80&t=5208
casper
General
General

Postby Mark » Wed Dec 05, 2018 5:35 am

Don’t forget the James Bond movie at 3pm.
And the selection of cheesy 70s liqueurs after dinner.
Cheers
Mark

Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby snapdragon » Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:35 am

Family Christmas Lunch, Morcambe and Wise Christmas Show, The Queens Christmas message, 007 Movie, Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, High tea of stand pie, coleslaw and salad.......

Pigging out on chocolate from the selection boxes in your Santa sack of pressies!

Oh yes! Ignoring the presents and playing with all the empty boxes!

Now? I try and stay in bed with the covers over my head for as long as possible!
Partwork Building is like meeting enemy action - no plan survives first contact!!
Certified model building idiot! Please treat with kindness!
snapdragon
Colonel
Colonel

Postby wingnut2 » Wed Dec 05, 2018 5:22 pm

snapdragon wrote:Family Christmas Lunch, Morcambe and Wise Christmas Show, The Queens Christmas message, 007 Movie, Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, High tea of stand pie, coleslaw and salad.......
Pigging out on chocolate from the selection boxes in your Santa sack of pressies!
Oh yes! Ignoring the presents and playing with all the empty boxes!
Now? I try and stay in bed with the covers over my head for as long as possible!

Hi James, You had me going for while "stand pie" :?: so I Googled it and we call it a "pork pie" here in the Midlands. :)
And I forgot about Morecambe and Wise some of the best "one liners" ever e.g. "If that's the invisible man outside tell him I can't see him now" :laughing-rolling:
"Staying bed" Bah humbug your missing some great TV shows.
W2 ;)
wingnut2
Regiment Sergeant Major
Regiment Sergeant Major

Postby wingnut2 » Wed Dec 05, 2018 5:31 pm

steve131 wrote:Snowball drink 8-) loved the dates with the funny fork had tasty tangerine and triangle nuts you could never break . Then new year party at Belfry golf course.

Hi Duke :) the "triangle nuts" you mentioned are Brazil nuts and the other ones that were hard to break are the Almonds.
W2 ;)
wingnut2
Regiment Sergeant Major
Regiment Sergeant Major

Postby steve131 » Wed Dec 05, 2018 6:03 pm

Got to admit thought stand pie was a typo myself ,never heard of it before Snaps do you also call them growlers?. As Mike said earlier we Midlanders have have best pork pies with the world famous Melton Mowbray 8-) :lol: . Don't forget Steve McQueen on his motorbike as well :lol:
steve131
Colonel
Colonel

Postby snapdragon » Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:31 am

round here - within the boundaries of Gods Own Country - a Stand Pie is a bigger version of a pork pie or "Growler" which feeds about 20 people instead of a single pie for 1.

A Stand Pie is usually cut with a carving knife!

This year I am doing the cooking on Christmas day :

Lunch

Starter
Cream of Mushroom soup with cheese and garlic croutons.

Main
Roast Goose
Roast Spuds done in Goose fat,
Parsley and Thyme stuffing,
Carrots cooked in butter,
Garden peas,
roast parsnips
onion gravy,
bread sauce,
mashed spuds with onion fried in a pan with butter.

The Goose will be basted in it's own juices and fat with lemon and lime juice added. Once cooked the roast spuds will be put into that juice and cooked until crisp.

Sweet
Christmas Pudding with either custard or white rum sauce
Ice-cream or a
Yorkshire cheese board.

coffee/tea and port to follow

High Tea
stand pie
coleslaw,
salad (lettuce etc.)
pickled onions,
fresh crusty bread and butter
scones with butter, cream and a choice of strawberry or raspberry jam,
coffee/tea

Supper:
Cheese and biscuits and a choice of spirit from my well stocked cupboard or hot chocolate.
Partwork Building is like meeting enemy action - no plan survives first contact!!
snapdragon
Colonel
Colonel

Postby steve131 » Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:21 am

:D Tasty everyone round Snapdragons for a feast 8-) .
steve131
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Mark » Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:04 am

Nothing like a good goose at Xmas, which may explain the red cheek! :whistle:

I trust the cream will be Cornish clotted cream. The butter isn’t strictly necessary, and I also trust that anybody who puts cream on first, followed by jam will have a large boot bounced off their bottom.
Cheers
Mark

Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Sonnenberg » Thu Dec 06, 2018 3:54 pm

I could somehow tolerate the other things, but putting cream on first, followed by jam is something I cannot silently observe. Because silence could be considered as consent and we cannot have that.
Sonnenberg
Cadet

Postby wingnut2 » Thu Dec 06, 2018 5:17 pm

steve131 wrote::D Tasty everyone round Snapdragons for a feast 8-) .

:text-goodpost: Any spare seats in your car duke :?:
W2 ;)
wingnut2
Regiment Sergeant Major
Regiment Sergeant Major

Postby wingnut2 » Thu Dec 06, 2018 5:28 pm

Sonnenberg wrote:I could somehow tolerate the other things, but putting cream on first, followed by jam is something I cannot silently observe. Because silence could be considered as consent and we cannot have that.

Welcome to the forum Sonnenberg, cream or jam, let me think :think: Mmmmmmm it tastes the same either way :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:
W2 ;)
wingnut2
Regiment Sergeant Major
Regiment Sergeant Major

Postby snapdragon » Fri Dec 07, 2018 8:08 pm

Sorry, it will be Yorkshire whipped cream from a farm about 2 miles away and also the butter, freshly churned also comes from the same herd.

I have added to the scones there is now Strawberry, Raspberry, Blackberry and honey all sourced from local makers.

I do have friends from Germany staying this Christmas and as this is their first time here it is only right I showcase Yorkshire cooking and Fayre
snapdragon
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Mark » Sat Dec 08, 2018 10:49 am

wingnut2 wrote:
Sonnenberg wrote:I could somehow tolerate the other things, but putting cream on first, followed by jam is something I cannot silently observe. Because silence could be considered as consent and we cannot have that.

Welcome to the forum Sonnenberg, cream or jam, let me think :think: Mmmmmmm it tastes the same either way :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:
W2 ;)

I’m sorry, but you earn a week on the naughty step for even hinting that jam on top of cream is acceptable. We’re a fairly tolerant forum, but there are limits!
Cheers
Mark

Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Next

Return to The Mess Room