My Honda MP4/4 Build Diary
viewtopic.php?f=80&t=5208
casper
General
General

Re: My Magical past - seeing is believing

Postby royjess » Fri Mar 15, 2019 6:35 pm

Thanks Casper.

I gave up on the big illusions in 1997 due to personal circumstances and I had to put my family priority first. I continued performing close up magic and children's show's within my local area until 2008, again due to personal circumstances and putting Jess' care needs first.
Completed Builds Hachette - The Black Pearl
Completed Builds DeAgostini - Build the Millennium Falcon

Always thinking outside the box....!
royjess
Brigadier
Brigadier

Postby royjess » Sat Mar 16, 2019 9:59 am

Another video of me at the age of 17 yrs, this time performing the classic Zombie ball routine

royjess
Brigadier
Brigadier

Postby royjess » Sun Mar 17, 2019 1:59 pm

Another video of me when I was just 17yrs old, this time the classic Mutilated Umbrella routine

royjess
Brigadier
Brigadier

Postby Mark » Sun Mar 17, 2019 5:53 pm

Very slick, and very entertaining Roy !
Cheers
Mark

If you nose runs and your feet smell, you're upside down !
Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby wingnut2 » Sun Mar 17, 2019 6:41 pm

Hi Roy, as the boss say's very clever trick's :clap:
W2 ;)
When the tuff get going follow them........
wingnut2
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Postby royjess » Mon Mar 18, 2019 7:49 pm

Thanks for your kind comments.

The next video was taken when I was only 16 yrs old, me performing in London's Covent Garden.

Back in the 80's, we never had the convenience of a video camera built into our phones. Back then a video camera were for the rich and were as big as a breeze block. So this is my very first video of me performing.

I started performing in Covent Garden when I was still at school, I was around 14yrs/15yrs old. To perform in Covent Garden, you had to be good to pull in a crowed. I continued to be a regular performer at Covent Garden from mid 1980's to mid 1990's. I have performed most of the routines and big illusions that you have seen in my previous video's there, completely surrounded, battling against the snow, rain and the worst of all the dreaded wind.

By the early 1990's, I was able to go out onto the Covent Garden Piazza first thing in the morning and pull one of the biggest crowds there. Covent Garden was great place to learn how to work an audience.

You will also notice in today's video that I was very much hunched up, and that is how up until then, I would perform my magic. A year later (see my previous videos), my posture had change making my performance looking more professional, confident and allowed me to command control over an audience.

Some great performers have started off in Covent Garden, including names like Eddie Izzard, Dave Benson Phillips both which I knew from Covent Garden be for they became famous. Even TV magician Paul Zenon once did a stint there.

Forget about David Blaine and Dynamo, I was a street magician long before these made street magic popular.

royjess
Brigadier
Brigadier

Postby royjess » Tue Mar 19, 2019 9:58 am

Not only did I do TV, I also did radio too. I appeared on the James Whale radio show doing my magic. I even had to wear my costume and James would describe to the radio listeners what I was wearing as well as the magic act performance.

In my early 20's, I even made an appearance in a pop video. The band is called Forget Me Nots and the song was called Trouble. The band had no idea that we were there. We rehearsed the video before the band arrived. We all then hid and the band arrived and started to play with no idea what was about to happen. They ended up taking a second shoot as the band was so engross in what was going on, they forgot to sing (mime).

I was supposed to produce a rabbit out of a hat, but when I arrived, because of the set up and choreography, having any props on set was not an option, so I had to resort to pulling silks out of the hat instead.

I can be see 2.20 into the video and a glimpse further along.

You may recognise this video as I posted this one elsewhere on here a couple of years back

royjess
Brigadier
Brigadier

Postby wingnut2 » Tue Mar 19, 2019 6:39 pm

Hi Roy, another great clip :) :clap: :clap: you have had a colourful life my friend.
W2 ;)
wingnut2
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Postby royjess » Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:09 am

Thanks Mike

I look back at these videos and realise what I have achieved at such a young age, considering that I built all this up from nothing plus I had a family and mortgage to pay for by the time I was 20yrs old. I had no financial help from my parents.

The next few videos are of me on TV. However there is no magic performances in these. I also was a TV extra in-between gigs. Some of the drama's included Martin Chuzzlewit, Middle March and Over Here.

Today is a clip of me in ITV The Chief, which was filmed in Norwich

I was given directions which I followed, only for one of the actors to turn around to tell me off :? . I thought that I messed up the scene, but what I didn't know and wasn't told, was that was his lines :laughing-rolling:

Can you spot me in this clip? An easy one to start off with

royjess
Brigadier
Brigadier

Postby wingnut2 » Wed Mar 20, 2019 6:19 pm

Hi Roy :) you were easy spot :) and I told you nothing good would come from all that flashing :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: ;)
W2 ;)
wingnut2
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Postby royjess » Thu Mar 21, 2019 9:48 am

Yes indeed I was the photographer in the previous video. Well done if you spotted me.

Today video is a TV series that starred Felicity Kendal. Honey For Tea.

I played two parts in this one. I'm easy to spot for the first part, but the second one is very tricky.

Can you spot me twice in this one?

royjess
Brigadier
Brigadier

Postby wingnut2 » Thu Mar 21, 2019 5:41 pm

Hi Roy :) not easy :think: :think: the guy at the front in glasses ?
But enough of that, You have worked with Felicity Kendal :o :o :o you lucky S** (it's a family forum) :drool: :drool: :mrgreen:
Is it as "nice" as they say it is :?: No don't tell me :naughty:
W2 ;)
wingnut2
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Postby royjess » Thu Mar 21, 2019 8:23 pm

wingnut2 wrote:You have worked with Felicity Kendal :o :o :o you lucky S** (it's a family forum) :drool: :drool: :mrgreen:
W2 ;)

I hope you are not talking about the leading lady like that, our national treasure deserves a bit more respect than that :naughty:

I've met and worked with a whole list of well know celebrities over the years and I've treated them all with the same professional respect :)

royjess
Brigadier
Brigadier

Postby royjess » Fri Mar 22, 2019 5:14 pm

Well done if you spotted me in the previous video. I the student was wearing a red T-shirt and glasses. I also played one of the homeless person having a scuffle in the background, that was very difficult (impossible) to spot me.

The next video is of me in LoveJoy. Can you spot me in the next video. There are two episodes shown back to back, I'm in both scenes. The first scene is from Lovejoy S5 E10 Goosebumps 14.43 minutes into the program, however I don't know what episode the second scene is from?

royjess
Brigadier
Brigadier

Postby wingnut2 » Fri Mar 22, 2019 5:41 pm

royjess wrote:
wingnut2 wrote:You have worked with Felicity Kendal :o :o :o you lucky S** (it's a family forum) :drool: :drool: :mrgreen:
W2 ;)

I hope you are not talking about the leading lady like that, our national treasure deserves a bit more respect than that :naughty:
I've met and worked with a whole list of well know celebrities over the years and I've treated them all with the same professional respect :)

Hi Roy :) that's me done :roll: It was a comment and not at all disrespectful as this link https://ipfs.io/ipfs/QmXoypizjW3WknFiJn ... _year.html
shows she was more than happy to accept the award as were many celebrity's before and after ?
It's been fun.
wingnut2
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Postby royjess » Sat Mar 23, 2019 10:04 am

Sorry Mike, being a true gentleman, I wouldn't know anything about Felicity being rear of the year in 1981, plus I was still a kid the year that she won that.

Well done if you spotted me in the previous video, I was sitting at the bar in the middle in the first scene and in the left hand corner table in the second scene.

Can you spot me in the next video, a very tricky one as I had my hair cut and slick back for the program. It was a Ruth Rendall writing as Barbara Vine, working along side Helena Bonham Carter. I was in 3 different scenes, but the video only showing just the one as you couldn't see me in the other two.

A bonus video, this is from the Buccaneers, I was on set for filming, but it was my son that was being filmed, not me. He is the blond hair kid in blue.

royjess
Brigadier
Brigadier

Postby wingnut2 » Sat Mar 23, 2019 6:06 pm

No probs Roy :) the only time I think I saw you was stood next to the guy that caught the flowers ?
W2 ;)
wingnut2
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Postby royjess » Sun Mar 24, 2019 7:58 am

Well done if you spotted me in the previous video, I was the one standing next to the second guy that caught the flowers

Back to the magic, the next few videos are of routines that you have already seen. The next video is of my very first TV appearances at the young age of 19 yrs old on Sky Star Search. The video contains 2 different ones back to back.

royjess
Brigadier
Brigadier

Postby wingnut2 » Sun Mar 24, 2019 5:13 pm

Hi Roy, :) It's the disrespectful one :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: ;) :o OMG the levitation trick was astounding ! :clap: :clap: I'm very sure if you had carried on you would have made big time :) but over the course of time "life" get in the way :( to honest having herd you voice this time makes me want to ask you more about yourself :think: but that's not appropriate on your thread.
W2 ;)
wingnut2
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

PreviousNext

Return to The Mess Room