New Purchase

The place for idle chatter

New Purchase

Sponsor

Sponsor

New Purchase

Postby snapdragon » Sun Apr 04, 2021 10:08 pm

On Thursday I bought this from my Ebay China Supplier.

I will be getting replacement tracks and barrel plus a couple of odds and ends such as quickwheel.

His prices have remained the same, but shipping costs have gone up. While this mostly seems the shipping people making extra money out of the pandemic it still means that the cost of the kit inc. shipping is still £15-20+ less than UK prices and this includes my UK really good supplier who I buy from frequently. Although some of the really big trumpeter vehicle kits, once shipping etc is added on there is not much difference, and if my UK supplier discounted prices is very close then he will get the business. Sometimes, with a very large box and a low customs chit they get suspicious and it is not worth the hassle and being ripped off by Parcel Farce or Royal Mail.

This, like one of my Panthers in the stash comes with clear parts for the turret and upper hull deck. I have an idea to do a half-half turret, but not remain undecided over the hull. Here is the sprue...

I have been looking at the instruction book online and I wondered if it may be possible to do both clear and normal hull top and swap between them both... I look to my brothers in plastic for inspriration. The online manual can be got at scalemates.

I have also purchased some Tiger II tracks from BMA in Australia so then I can start looking at Mengs Tiger II initial turret with interior.. That's two large boxes! I am still waiting for R-Model Maus tracks from an Ebay supplier (couldn't get them from BMA) who apparently has sent them by slow boat or refugee! The price was good but the shipping method sucks! I would have happily paid extra for tracked airmail! The vendor has a 99.8% rating though!

RFM and Amusing Hobby have released some very interesting subjects recently but I do have to lower my stash a little. Double pin Panther tracks have arrived so I have to choose which one to use those on. I must get another 2 sets as I have these in my stash...

I have replaced the one I mucked up! :angry-banghead: :laughing-rolling:

There are several kits I want from RFM and I wonder if you can guess what they are!

Input on the Tiger I welcome. I will probably get the desert tiger too!

James
Partwork Building is like meeting enemy action - no plan survives first contact!!
Certified model building idiot! Please treat with kindness!
snapdragon
Colonel
Colonel

Re: New Purchase

Postby Morris » Mon Apr 05, 2021 11:58 am

James, I fancy the idea of using the clear and the painted parts myself....If they can be swapped for photos for instance, it would be cool I would think..
Morris
Hachette Spitfire Mk1a partwork model up to & including issues 55-58
DeAgonstini Ford GT40 part work pack 10
Agora Models 427 AC Cobra pack 4
Sort of advanced work on vehicles and equipment for a B-29 Enola Gay diorama...currently a Cletrac M2
Morris
Major
Major

Postby steve131 » Mon Apr 05, 2021 6:54 pm

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: Very nice all of them welljell.
steve131
Brigadier
Brigadier

Postby snapdragon » Mon Apr 05, 2021 10:45 pm

Once the kit is in my grubby paws then I shall do an in box review and have a play with the turret structure parts. I already have identified R-model tracks for this Tiger I and Aber barrel replacements. Just need to look through quickwheel stuff for the right wheel paint set!

Morris, I didn't quite understand your post. You want to see side by side pictures of the clear and normal parts?

Steve... you just want the kit don't you! :D

I also quite fancy this one too

I think that this will be an interesting build too...

There is also a Panzer III and IV with full interior. I think that they would look good side by side in a display case!

Also a Desert Tiger I

http://www.ryefield-model.com/thread-762-2.html

Panzer III link

http://www.ryefield-model.com/thread-763-2.html

Panzer IV link

http://www.ryefield-model.com/thread-752-2.html

Plenty to keep me going!
Partwork Building is like meeting enemy action - no plan survives first contact!!
snapdragon
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Morris » Mon Apr 05, 2021 11:51 pm

snapdragon wrote:Once the kit is in my grubby paws then I shall do an in box review and have a play with the turret structure parts. I already have identified R-model tracks for this Tiger I and Aber barrel replacements. Just need to look through quickwheel stuff for the right wheel paint set!

Morris, I didn't quite understand your post. You want to see side by side pictures of the clear and normal parts?

Steve... you just want the kit don't you! :D

I also quite fancy this one too

I think that this will be an interesting build too...

There is also a Panzer III and IV with full interior. I think that they would look good side by side in a display case!

Also a Desert Tiger I

http://www.ryefield-model.com/thread-762-2.html

Panzer III link

http://www.ryefield-model.com/thread-763-2.html

Panzer IV link

http://www.ryefield-model.com/thread-752-2.html

Plenty to keep me going!

Sorry James for confusion...I meant that if the both the clear and painted turret tops and hull top decks could be removed and reinstalled, then use both ....if that makes sense? Swap them as and when to show off the interior works...but I guess if you could remove the upper decks, it wouldn’t matter about the clear parts......anyway they are all awesome looking kits...
Morris
Hachette Spitfire Mk1a partwork model up to & including issues 55-58
DeAgonstini Ford GT40 part work pack 10
Agora Models 427 AC Cobra pack 4
Sort of advanced work on vehicles and equipment for a B-29 Enola Gay diorama...currently a Cletrac M2
Morris
Major
Major

Postby steve131 » Wed Apr 07, 2021 4:23 pm

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: . Yes want them all ,very tasty looking kits DAK Tiger looks amaze. Currently working on Tamiya SturmTiger not a patch on that beauty saw the barrel for it at Bovington . :mrgreen: :mrgreen: . Got to keep active Snapdragons.
steve131
Brigadier
Brigadier

Postby snapdragon » Wed Apr 14, 2021 10:06 am

The Tiger I is now in my grubby paws and I am making moves to get R-model tracks (double pin I think) and a replacement barrel (aber).

After spending time with the manual it seems that with the clear parts it is one or the other. If you use the clear turret parts then lots of detail has to be missed off the interior sides to be able to see inside. With the upper deck there is only one set of parts for hatches etc but it does look like this just drops in to place and so could be removed as with the turret roof. This really defeats the clear parts option, but it is nice to have the choice.

You can make a 1943 or early 1944 Tiger I and the amount of parts are just mind boggling. RFM do fantastic interior kits and I am going to have to get their Panzer III and IV kits!

I really will have to start working faster to build all this stuff!!!!!

For those who are really interested, here is a link to online instructions for this kit

https://www.scalemates.com/products/img/1/2/4/1194124-62-instructions.pdf

This kit is dedicated to Whittmans Tiger 1331 and S04 after Kursk and the "updated" version in early 1944. Of course, any Tiger I from this time period could be painted and I do like the barrel kill markings of S04 but not the overpainted winter white.

I am still wavering over the Desert Tiger and want Amusing Hobbies' new Ferdinand. No interior but...

snapdragon
Colonel
Colonel

Return to The Mess Room