Agora Models new expert!

The place for idle chatter

Agora Models new expert!

Sponsor

Sponsor

Agora Models new expert!

Postby Mark » Mon May 02, 2022 12:35 am

Agora has asked me to become their official forum expert and do their official build diaries.

I'm rather pleased! (Understatement of the year!!)

What does this mean for this forum? Well, nothing is going to change. I will still be running this forum, and it is still totally independent, as it always has been.
The plus side is that we get a bit of publicity from Agora and you'll get to see builds of all the Agora models.
The down side is that my builds on Agora's forum are the official builds, so all the photos are stored on their forum software. This means that I can't just copy/paste the build diary entries, and writing 2 build diaries would be too time consuming. Therefore, I will be posting a much abbreviated build diary here with a link to the official build diary on Agora's forum.

The biggest plus side though, is that Agora are delighted about the cross-pollination between our two forums. A very refreshing attitude.

Just a bit of gossip now. Agora was formed by a couple of people who have a long history in the Partwork industry. They looked at the good things that the industry did, and the bad things. Then they created a business model that delivered the good stuff without the nasty bad stuff. (E.g. No test releases!) They are extremely customer service focused and in two short years they have become very successful. Are they a partwork company? They say no, they are the home of big-scale modelling. Personally, I see them as the next evolution in the partwork model industry. They ship world wide. Their catalogue is expanding rapidly, and you can start a project when it suits you. You don't have to wait until January for the next project! Partworks, The Next Generation !!! :lol: :lol:

For those who don't get the Agora newsletter email, here is my introduction.

Welcoming Mark the Master Modeler

We are delighted to formally welcome Mark ‘the Master Modeler’ Wakelin as official expert on our forum. There’s little Mark doesn’t know about modelling and we’re excited that he’s now casting his eye over what’s being celebrated or perhaps what’s presenting more of a modelling challenge! So, never fear – Mark is here to save the day! Here’s a bit more about him:

"Hi, I’m Mark. I started building models with Airfix kits when I was about 9 years old, and never stopped! Like many kids of the 70s era, I had dozens of planes hanging from the bedroom ceiling! Since then, I have gone through various phases, including a few years flying control line and radio-controlled aircraft and sailing boats. I have built most genres of model, including aircraft, cars, tanks, boats, space craft, and the odd figurine… I tend to build whatever model takes my fancy. I’m happy working with most mediums including wood, resin, metal and plastic. I do have a slightly masochistic love of photo-etched detail sets. The smaller the parts, the better! I have previously done some work in model engineering and have built several steam engines, currently I’m working on a 5” gauge steam locomotive.

I began building partwork kits with Hachette’s Titanic back in 2003, and have built numerous partworks since, including the Tiger Tank, Fokker Triplane, Aston Martin DB5, McLaren MP4, Shelby GT500 Super Snake, Shelby Cobra s/c, to name a few. My favourite partwork I’ve built so far is the Shelby Cobra s/c, and my favourite traditional models are the MFH Brough Superior SS100 (a white metal kit) and the Meng Whippet Tank. In 2009 I started the Partwork Model Forum, which is probably the biggest independent partwork model forum.

I’m looking forward to helping out with the Agora Models forum where I’ll be posting regular build diaries and answering any questions that pop up!"
Cheers
Mark

If you nose runs and your feet smell, you're upside down !
Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Agora Models new expert!

Postby John b » Mon May 02, 2022 8:04 am

Congratulations Mark, couldn't think of a more worthy person, bit jealous as I'd love to do the Cobra but just cant afford it YET!
John b
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Postby Mark » Mon May 02, 2022 10:43 am

Thanks John! It's certainly quite an honour!
Cheers
Mark

Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby steve131 » Mon May 02, 2022 3:49 pm

Nice one Mark well done sir .Agora have got some cracking models and their 12 or 24 month plans are good would love to do their London Bus .
steve131
Brigadier
Brigadier

Postby casper » Mon May 02, 2022 7:10 pm

Brilliant news Mark :D congratulations :dance: fantastic opportunity to build and review some of the best scale models on the market from Agora :mrgreen:
:text-bravo:
My Honda MP4/4 Build Diary
viewtopic.php?f=80&t=5208
casper
General
General

Postby number1 » Mon May 02, 2022 9:14 pm

Congratulations Mark, any thoughts on them branching out into a few motorcycle's ;)
number1
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Mark » Mon May 02, 2022 11:24 pm

Thanks guys. It's certainly a great opportunity.

I did mention the idea of motorbikes, but they didn't seem very enthusiastic. Still, perhaps I've sown the seed?
Cheers
Mark

Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

We need an Espada

Postby MODENAMAN » Wed May 04, 2022 5:45 pm

Hi Mark

Congratulations, if you get to influence them at all, we ( at least I ) need a Lamborghini Espada in 1/8th.
Hopefully they can get distribution rights for the plethora of 1/8 cars not available in the UK - the Honda NSX , Tatra 603 , The South American Ford and Chevy Opala items , Nissan Fairly , Subaru Impreza. La Ferrari & 250 GTO, Opel Manta, Alpine Renault & Toyota 2000 to name a few. There are loads more !
Great for Aora to have you on board.
MODENAMAN
Colour Sergeant
Colour Sergeant

Postby Mark » Wed May 04, 2022 11:26 pm

Thanks!! Sadly, my influence is limited (or they would be bringing our big scale old British bike kits, and probably selling as many as I have thumbs!!)
Cheers
Mark

Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby bruno » Fri May 06, 2022 4:31 pm

Great Mark!! :happy-cheerleaderkid:congratulation. :happy-cheerleaderkid:
Better walking steadily in the right direction than running like hell the opposite way!
bruno
Sergeant
Sergeant

Postby Morris » Fri May 06, 2022 6:24 pm

Way to go, Mark! :dance:
Morris
Hachette Spitfire Mk1a holding on issues 87-93
Ford GT40 pack 14,15 done
Agora Models AC Cobra pack 10
Iron Man part-work, issues 47-50
P-38 F/G project…
Morris
Major
Major

Postby Mark » Mon May 09, 2022 7:09 pm

Thanks Morris!
Cheers
Mark

Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to The Mess Room