No pics

The place for idle chatter

Re: No pics

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby R2D2 » Sat Jun 02, 2018 3:05 am

Hi there Mark again. I've been looking at this site and a lot of threads not just part work models and it seems they are all corrupt in one way or another. Some have corrupted pictures that are distorted and pixalated. In other cases the pictures are missing completely. The ones connected to photo bucket come up with no photo information! It does seem its the main photo file that has been corrupted somehow! I do hope you can sort this out as I miss looking at other peoples work and without photos its not the same!
R2D2
Lietenant Colonel
Lietenant Colonel

Postby R2D2 » Thu Jun 07, 2018 6:09 pm

Hi Mark! I know I'm being a pest and your trying your hardest to sort the problem out but is there any news about the missing and corrupt pictures! Just curios as to what the company is doing about it! Is there any way it can be sorted or are they going to be lost forever!
R2D2
Lietenant Colonel
Lietenant Colonel

Postby Mark » Thu Jun 07, 2018 6:20 pm

Ha! You wouldn’t believe it. They tried to restore the pics folder, and then told me the site was @titally broken @ so they restored from the latest backup. Apparently they have dropped a back up from the last known good point, bug I haven’t had a chance to check it yet. Fingers crossed, or I’m going to have to admit defeat.
Cheers
Mark

If you nose runs and your feet smell, you're upside down !
Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby R2D2 » Thu Jun 07, 2018 11:06 pm

Lets hope it sorts the problem out! At least if we get part of the photos mainly the latest it would help! But thanks for your brilliant effort in trying to sort the problem out anyway!
R2D2
Lietenant Colonel
Lietenant Colonel

Postby Mark » Fri Jun 08, 2018 1:32 pm

Well, I got a chance to check the back-up the hosting company had left for me. Quick lunchtime job, or so I thought. I’ll just copy the files to my laptop, check them, then copy back to the right location if they’re ok.

Flash up the ftp, drag the files to the desktop, then wait..... and wait..... and wait...... something like 10,000 files, 12 hours remaining.....

Perhaps Monday lunchtime.......
Cheers
Mark

Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby R2D2 » Fri Jun 08, 2018 1:40 pm

Good grief! Mind you there were a lot of pictures on this site so here's hoping this works! If it does you deserve a million Ks.
R2D2
Lietenant Colonel
Lietenant Colonel

Postby Mark » Mon Jun 18, 2018 6:21 am

Sorry guys, I'm going to have to admit defeat...... I can't get an uncorrupted copy of the file from the hosting company.... I do have a backup, but it's a couple of years old, so some photos can be restored, but nothing recent. Sorry :(
Cheers
Mark

Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby R2D2 » Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:46 am

OH well at least you tried. Still if you can at least get some old photos up that could help!
R2D2
Lietenant Colonel
Lietenant Colonel

Postby R2D2 » Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:00 am

PS Mark. I tried down loading pics from my lists by editing my threads and it works! However. I don't know how to get rid of the old corrupted pics! I tried it on my E Type Jaguar thread on the first part of the build! I know this would be a long process but some of us could redo our threads by updating our photo's from our own saved files Would this be an idea or do you think its to involved Mark!
R2D2
Lietenant Colonel
Lietenant Colonel

Postby royjess » Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:19 pm

One of the things that I've learn't when we had the #photobucketgate was that you should always back up your photos by saving them to a file on your computer and also to label them with the date and forum post name so that you can link them to your post.

I would also say the same for any of your post or diary threads/builds. May also be worth copying and saving your text as well as your photos just in-case anything ever happens to them.

R2D2 wrote:PS Mark. I tried down loading pics from my lists by editing my threads and it works! However. I don't know how to get rid of the old corrupted pics! I tried it on my E Type Jaguar thread on the first part of the build! I know this would be a long process but some of us could redo our threads by updating our photo's from our own saved files Would this be an idea or do you think its to involved Mark!

I've just took a look at your post in edit, I don't know if you have the same delete button as me, you could try this first, I didn't want to touch your post just in-case I accidentally deleted the wrong pic. Please note that there are two delete tabs, one for each pic.

Completed Builds Hachette - The Black Pearl
Completed Builds DeAgostini - Build the Millennium Falcon

Always thinking outside the box....!
royjess
Brigadier
Brigadier

Postby R2D2 » Tue Jun 19, 2018 11:38 am

Thanks for the info Roy. I tied the delete button and it worked. The first four pictures are now complete with the corrupt ones deleted. Now I have a question for mark. If you download your old file list to restore the pics do you know up to what date they go up to! If you can at least restore most of the pictures do you want me and other members to update our threads with our photos from our files? It would take quite a while to do but at least some of the threads would be up to date photo wise!
R2D2
Lietenant Colonel
Lietenant Colonel

Postby Mark » Sun Jun 24, 2018 9:38 am

My back-up seems to date from Jan 2015, so anything newer than that can be replaced and shouldn't be overwritten or deleted when I upload the files. I shall (try to) simply overwrote the corrupted files.
Cheers
Mark

Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby R2D2 » Sun Jun 24, 2018 9:42 am

Hi Mark! Glad your back again! I presumed when I could not get into this forum the past few days you were doing some thing to it. Lets hope this works.
R2D2
Lietenant Colonel
Lietenant Colonel

Postby R2D2 » Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:29 pm

Hi Mark. Noticed there are still a lot of threads with corrupted or no pictures. Have you managed to restore some of them or are they lost for good! I know you've tried really hard to bring this site up to date as far as you can but I feel that some new members might be put off by not being able to see later pictures on the members threads. If it was me I would be having a few words with the suppliers of this site as to how they can loose so many pictures and why did the error happen in the first place! I would also be asking for a substantial reduction in the fee's or even a refund! I know its not your fault and you've tried your hardest to resolve this problem but what is the result now and are we stuck with having no or corrupted pictures that we might each have to update our selves at some time in the future!
R2D2
Lietenant Colonel
Lietenant Colonel

Previous

Return to The Mess Room