Shizuoka Hobby Show 2018

The place for idle chatter

Shizuoka Hobby Show 2018

Sponsor

Sponsor

Shizuoka Hobby Show 2018

Postby Mark » Sun May 27, 2018 4:10 pm

As some may know, I'm lucky enough to be living in Hong Kong, and it's only a short flight to Japan. Therefore I took the opportunity to take a short holiday to Osaka and Shizuoka to visit the Hobby show a couple of weeks ago. There are far too many photos to add them individually to a post, so below is a link to the Flickr album.
It starts off with a visit to the Hobby Square. Then on to the show itself. Mainly the trade stands first, then the club displays. There are also some photos of real vehicles, so there are some nice close-ups to show chipping, wear and weathering.

There was also the opportunity to visit the Tamiya HQ, and get to see their museum, shop (cracking bargains to be had!) and a rare chance to see some of the tool making machines and moulding machines. Sadly English speaking people were few and far between, so I couldn't tack to anybody about the technical side of moulding. My school boy Japanese is fine for ordering a beer and making small talk, but no good for in depth technical discussions!!

The highlight of the show was getting to have a chat with Shinichi Iwami san, Mr Aerobase himself! I came away with their Fokker DR1 kit, the first he produced, and did all the drawings for by hand!! And pre-ordered his new Gee Bee Racer kit which is due out shortly.

Anyway, enjoy the photos !!

https://www.flickr.com/gp/152167253@N05/Fp3R87
Cheers
Mark

If you nose runs and your feet smell, you're upside down !
Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Shizuoka Hobby Show 2018

Postby steve131 » Sun May 27, 2018 4:31 pm

Very nice something for everyone there .Totes Uber Jell at the Tamiya visit. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
steve131
Colonel
Colonel

Postby number1 » Sun May 27, 2018 10:47 pm

Thanks for sharing, fantastic models :mrgreen:
number1
Lietenant Colonel
Lietenant Colonel

Postby royjess » Mon May 28, 2018 8:51 am

Lot's of brilliant photos there. Some fantastic models :mrgreen:

Thanks for sharing :D
Completed Builds Hachette - The Black Pearl
Completed Builds DeAgostini - Build the Millennium Falcon

Always thinking outside the box....!
royjess
Brigadier
Brigadier

Postby steve131 » Mon May 28, 2018 5:35 pm

Is that the Lancaster you been working on Snapdragons ?
steve131
Colonel
Colonel

Postby snapdragon » Mon May 28, 2018 9:05 pm

It is. The boss has given permission to put up some photos here that you've not seen. I'll do it when I have them all collated

Pocketbond have yet upset him again and put up HKM prices by between £25-50 which is not warranted as he has not changed the RRP or trade prices at all.

He has told me that Pocketbond are preparing to sell the Lancaster at something close to £400. The new RRP for the B-17 is £329.99. Understandably this has upset Neil as UK sales will be nowhere near what he hopes. This means that HKM will suffer financially because of a totally unrealistic street price which will put off modellers from purchasing it.

I have told him that he should look at opening his own online shop and sell direct himself from the factory which would probably make builders very happy at paying a decent price (probably US Dollars) and Neil is looking in to that.

Mark has some really good photos of the Lancaster. I did PM him and told him to introduce himself to Neil, but thanks to the website going bums up he didn't get the message!

I think the Lancaster will be set for an October release, or maybe Telford. There is still some tooling to be done and detail added to the moulds. Neil tells me there was much interest at the show by Japanese builders who wanted the cockpit section by itself. That has given Neil and myself some extra ideas!!!

what you see at the show is the first test shot. There is no detail on the exterior of the fuselage at the moment. It has been done to test the basic mold and the parts for fitting, which looks good as well as a clear fuselage concept.

Should you want one, then I would look to vendors in Europe on release or if Neil decided to go with his own online sales then the website will be put on here for you all. Note: You may get hit with customs fees etc, but I think Neil is looking at ways around that!

James
Partwork Building is like meeting enemy action - no plan survives first contact!!
snapdragon
Colonel
Colonel

Postby chill » Tue May 29, 2018 10:52 am

So for clarfication James, you have been part of the design team for the upcoming HK Lancaster?
Who cares who wins
chill
Major General
Major General

Postby snapdragon » Tue May 29, 2018 12:54 pm

Yes, chill. I researched and provided original blueprint sets and maintainance manuals as well as walk round and interior photos of both Just Jane and the BBMF Lancaster as well as regular trips to Duxford during the recent major overhaul and repaint of the BBMF Lanc.

Also a few trips to the Yorkshire Air museum where they have the national air gunners collection and a complete set of dismounted Lancaster turrets on stands and I was able to get complete details on the interiors and equipment.

I think that this kit will be a complete stunner and will prove to be popular as the Lancaster is a very iconic aircraft and I reckon Neil and his CAD guy have produced a fantastic copy of the original aircraft.

You will need space to display this beast! I am glad to see my work on this project come into actual plastic and I do look forwards to getting the release version in my hands..... Maybe 2 with a clear fuselage!
Partwork Building is like meeting enemy action - no plan survives first contact!!
snapdragon
Colonel
Colonel

Postby chill » Tue May 29, 2018 2:24 pm

snapdragon wrote:Yes, chill. I researched and provided original blueprint sets and maintainance manuals as well as walk round and interior photos of both Just Jane and the BBMF Lancaster as well as regular trips to Duxford during the recent major overhaul and repaint of the BBMF Lanc.

Also a few trips to the Yorkshire Air museum where they have the national air gunners collection and a complete set of dismounted Lancaster turrets on stands and I was able to get complete details on the interiors and equipment.

I think that this kit will be a complete stunner and will prove to be popular as the Lancaster is a very iconic aircraft and I reckon Neil and his CAD guy have produced a fantastic copy of the original aircraft.

You will need space to display this beast! I am glad to see my work on this project come into actual plastic and I do look forwards to getting the release version in my hands..... Maybe 2 with a clear fuselage!

Ah i note there is a lot of discussion on the interweb about the windows not being quite right, has this been resolved?
Who cares who wins
chill
Major General
Major General

Postby snapdragon » Thu May 31, 2018 10:14 am

The anorak brigade rears their heads from their armchairs.

The first kit is of the Mk1. The windows are in the correct place and are scale correct dimension size as taken from blueprints and matched to the many photos of Lancasters being built in the factory and in service.

Some people just love to trash things or think they are experts because they have google!

Both Neil, myself and the other team members have spent more than a year on this and getting it absolutely spot on was the major thing.

Proof will be on competition tables but I'm looking forward to getting mine and then seeing what Eduard put out!
snapdragon
Colonel
Colonel

Postby chill » Thu May 31, 2018 1:31 pm

snapdragon wrote:The anorak brigade rears their heads from their armchairs.

The first kit is of the Mk1. The windows are in the correct place and are scale correct dimension size as taken from blueprints and matched to the many photos of Lancasters being built in the factory and in service.

Some people just love to trash things or think they are experts because they have google!

Both Neil, myself and the other team members have spent more than a year on this and getting it absolutely spot on was the major thing.

Proof will be on competition tables but I'm looking forward to getting mine and then seeing what Eduard put out!

So thats a lose yes then
Who cares who wins
chill
Major General
Major General

Postby snapdragon » Thu May 31, 2018 6:13 pm

Someone commented that the Radio Operators window is in the wrong place. That's what you are referring to.

It isn't. Once I get the opportunities to put up all the pics you can make your own judgement.
snapdragon
Colonel
Colonel

Postby chill » Thu May 31, 2018 7:37 pm

snapdragon wrote:Someone commented that the Radio Operators window is in the wrong place. That's what you are referring to.

It isn't. Once I get the opportunities to put up all the pics you can make your own judgement.

No i heard different window. And yes Ill look forward to the pictures
:clap:
Who cares who wins
chill
Major General
Major General

Postby chill » Thu May 31, 2018 7:59 pm

Will there be an open bomb bay option with a grand slam bomb or bouncing bomb@?
Who cares who wins
chill
Major General
Major General

Postby snapdragon » Fri Jun 01, 2018 1:44 pm

Now you didn't hear this from me :laughing-rolling: but there is a Dambuster version and a tallboy/Grandslam version in the works. Also, when the Mk1 kit gets a rebox there will be provision to build a Mk III I believe.

There will be an open bomb bay provision with, I believe, a standard bomb load. I don't know if all the Ordnance for the Lanc will be included or a separate add on will be done. The bay detail will me minimal as it is expected that builders will fill up the bay with bombs. Eduard will more than likely jump on to this and produce update sets to which a bomb bay interior is expected.

Who wants one?
snapdragon
Colonel
Colonel

Postby steve131 » Fri Jun 01, 2018 2:02 pm

Got to admit ,this sounds very tasty but £400 too rich for me and I think Pocket bond need to be put on the naughty step :naughty: :evil:
steve131
Colonel
Colonel

Postby chill » Fri Jun 01, 2018 2:41 pm

If someone buys it and builds it for me then I'll take it :laughing-rolling:
Who cares who wins
chill
Major General
Major General

Postby snapdragon » Sat Jun 02, 2018 10:31 am

What makes you think that it is going to be hard to build, Chill? :D

Is it the sheer physical size or part count, maybe?

What really brings HKM kits to life is the paint job that the modeller does.

HKM will be selling this through their website. PayPal is accepted and you may save money. UK customs warning applies!

Of course, other HKM kits are also available.

Pocketbond are owned by Bachmann, but I would like to kick their MD up and down Telford show for their stupid overpricing policy which is making the UK modelling scene hideously expensive and costing model shops sales!

They are hurting the hobby in both directions!

I have to rename lots of pics as they have long number filenames :angry-banghead:
snapdragon
Colonel
Colonel

Postby steve131 » Sat Jun 02, 2018 10:39 am

That's the thing I cant work out with Pocketbond ,short term gain don't work in the long run ,if you cant afford the items you don't get them and demand drys up . Defo need to get your R S M cap on and give Pocketbond a parade ground dressing down. :twisted:
steve131
Colonel
Colonel

Postby chill » Sat Jun 02, 2018 2:38 pm

snapdragon wrote:What makes you think that it is going to be hard to build, Chill? :D

Is it the sheer physical size or part count, maybe?

Nope none of the above :)
Who cares who wins
chill
Major General
Major General

Next

Return to The Mess Room