Sponsor

Red arrows

Postby steve131 » Tue Jul 24, 2018 4:28 pm

steve131
Colonel
Colonel

Re: Red arrows

Postby Mark » Tue Jul 24, 2018 5:13 pm

At least the Red Arrows are being relocated, not abandoned.

As an aside, everybody knows Sir Frank Whittle invented the jet engine. Anybody know where? (without Googling :lol: )
It was in Rugby. The building still exists, but there's no recognition as to its significance that I know of. It was originally in the British Thomson-Houston (BTH) facility which produced steam turbines. The facility went through several owners including AEI, GEC and Converteam, but is the same site, and currently owned by General Electric. However, I hear that it is likely to be closed down sometime in the near future. They currently manufacture large electric motors and generators, and production is likely to be moved to France. GE have production facilities both in Rugby and Nancy, both of which are running under capacity. Sad to see that part of our national heritage is largely forgotten, and may well be demolished if developers get the land.
Cheers
Mark

If you nose runs and your feet smell, you're upside down !
Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Southend Nick » Wed Jul 25, 2018 12:06 pm

From what I have heard a number of the buildings are listed so could not be demolished without separate permissions also a large number of the buildings are in dire need of major works running in to £many millions, selling the site will free up the costs of maintaining it to concentrate on improving the facilities at other bases, the ideal home for the reds would be RAF Coningsby as you have the BBMF there.
Southend Nick
Corporal
Corporal

Postby royjess » Thu Jul 26, 2018 9:19 am

I see that RAF Mildenhall is on that list to close in 2022, I used to live a stones throw from the entrance, before we had the Iraq gulf war, you could literally drive and walk onto the residential part of the base and into the Americans diners and shopping Mall. Then they put in a security gate.
Completed Builds Hachette - The Black Pearl
Completed Builds DeAgostini - Build the Millennium Falcon

Always thinking outside the box....!
royjess
Brigadier
Brigadier

Return to The Mess Room