David's Endeavour Cross Section

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby bird_d00 » Sun Dec 10, 2017 4:07 pm

I got some of the Eaglemoss Endeavour series from a dealer on Ebay to build the cross section (Issues 101-125), although I'm missing issue 125 with the sails. I bought it, but it didn't turn up in the parcel, so the dealer refunded me. Having seen some of the builds on here , I was already aware the quality of this one wasn't brilliant, and it certainly isn't up to the standards of the La Bretagne. I guess this is to be expected from Eaglemoss - I built their 3d printer, and to be honest it was a piece of (I must not use naughty words), their customer "service" was a joke, and the magazines were garbage, obsolete before they were published - I'm still waiting on the last 2 binders for it which they never supplied.

Anyways, on to the build. From the off, the instructions are suspect. They tell you to stain the cross beams walnut colour, but the pictures show something else. Later they stain the hatchway surround walnut, but show a totally different colour. I decided to use some Ronseal teak woodstain that I'd used for some kitchen cabinets, and Everbuild Mahogany for the frames. This shows progress up to issue 103, with the frames assembled and fixed to the keel.

For the next bit, wierd instructions again - they tell you to use 2 spacing pieces, fix 3 planks, then remove the spacing pieces, only to refit them 3 issues later ! No way - fix them from the start. Now completed up to issue 106, except for painting 2 barrels. The decks are not yet glued in place.

David Bird
Built: Eaglemoss Vector3
Building: Hachette Mallard, Eaglemoss Endeavour X section, Altaya Bretagne, DeAgostini Wasa
bird_d00
Corporal
Corporal

Re: David's Endeavour Cross Section

Postby Mark » Sat Feb 24, 2018 4:48 pm

Nice start David. I shall enjoy watching this one.

By the way, was the 3D printer Eaglemoss or DeAg?
Cheers
Mark

If you nose runs and your feet smell, you're upside down !
Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: David's Endeavour Cross Section

Postby bird_d00 » Sat Feb 24, 2018 5:17 pm

Hi Mark,

I did get a little further with this - must post some more pics, but unfortunately progress on this and all other modelling stalled just after Christmas, as my father-in-law has been seriously ill, requiring us to go back to the Philippines. We are back in UK now (crumbs what a difference in temperature), and playing catch-up - last weekend spent re-plumbing the bathroom. I managed to get the last issue of Endeavour from eBay this week, so now I have all the bits - just need some time!

The 3D printer was the Eaglemoss one - very, very poor, and using non-standard parts, so it's difficult/impossible to upgrade. The specifications when they launched were really good, but twas just a dream. I should have had them prosecuted under the sale of goods act. I wanted something better than my Prusa I3, but ended with something much worse at about 3 times the price! The only plus is that it looks quite nice.

David Bird
Built: Eaglemoss Vector3
Building: Hachette Mallard, Eaglemoss Endeavour X section, Altaya Bretagne, DeAgostini Wasa
bird_d00
Corporal
Corporal

Return to Build diaries