Ray Parkin's book on Endeavour

Historical discussions about the origianl ship, or it's replica.

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby sparkie69 » Tue Apr 28, 2015 1:01 am

Hi everybody, and nice to be back on this forum after a lengthy period away - no building on the ship, giving it a rest after coming up with a slightly discouraging 'hard bit', the outer planking!

Just wanted to kick start this topic with a quick post about a really substantial and extremely informative tome on the old Endeavour: Ray Parkin's "H.M. Bark Endeavour" published by the Miegunyah Press of Melbourne, Australia,(ISBN 0 522 85093 6).

This wonderful book is about as near as anyone's going to get to Cook's ship. It really is a beauty, something to treasure for its own sake, let alone the breadth and depth of information contained in its many pages. The man, Ray Parkin had an interesting background. His wartime exploits were quite astounding. He was a wonderful draughtsman (one of the very best of the old school), and his beautiful and presumably accurate drawings are without parallel anywhere.

The book has over 470 pages and is divided into two sections, the first being a detailed discussion of the ship herself, her construction, etc, the second being a series of handdrawn charts of the East coast of Australia, with extracts from Cook's and others' logs as the ship sailed up through the treacherous Great Barrier Reef. It has to be seen and experienced to be believed.

If you are at all serious about the ship, building a model of her or just for her own sake, then this book will really set you on fire. Just a warning here: if you buy the book it may well contribute to your becoming an "Endeavour" nut! It happened to me, but then I was already one (an "Endeavour" nut, not, I hope, a general one) before the book came into my possession, especially after experiencing the replica "Endeavour" at first hand and making several drawings and paintings of her after becoming fired up by the sheer beauty and faithfulness of construction of the new ship. As an artist, the whole tidal wave of experiencing he replica plus all the books and information out there about the original was impossible to ignore. I had to set pencil and pen to paper, oils to wood panel... what an adventure!
sparkie69
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Return to The real Endeavour