Dave's first build diary

Dave's first build diary

Sponsor

Sponsor

Dave's first build diary

Postby novicebuilder » Thu Mar 24, 2011 10:08 pm

Hi guys, after reading your build diary on the DB5, I have decided to start my own.
I have just sent off for a subscription to the Mclaren. As a life long James Bond fan, and also a fan of Mclaren, from long back in Coulthard / Hakkinen days.
Before Mika started winning championships by the way (in case of naysayer's who think i'm some kind of glory hunter). After the TV bombardments, and constant advertising on the Mclaren website, I gave in and decided I had to go for it. Only to find that I have to wait 14 days for the first few issues, along with my first gift.
So after this brief introduction, I will start my first chapter in 2 weeks, when my itchy fingers get hold of the DB5 and Mclaren.

so this is Dave signing out. :D
As a boy is was a Cub whose motto is "Be Prepared" As a Teen I was a Lovat Scout whose Motto is "Je Suis Prest" or "I am ready" As a man I was briefly a soldier in the Royal signals whose Motto is "Swift and Sure"
novicebuilder
Corporal
Corporal

Re: Dave's first build diary

Postby Mark » Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:28 am

I'm looking forward to seeing another build of this model. According to those 'in the know' the parts are superb.
Cheers
Mark

If you nose runs and your feet smell, you're upside down !
Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Julian » Fri Mar 25, 2011 11:55 pm

Looks pretty good so far..
If it's Not Broke, Take it apart and make it better

Timmy Mallet

http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/
Julian
Brigadier
Brigadier

Postby novicebuilder » Mon Apr 04, 2011 1:17 pm

Still waiting...... De Agostini have confirmed that it is on it's way. I since ordered myself a Team T-Shirt from McLaren. It arrived this afternoon. (even though I live in a city. for some reason the Postman doesn't get to my street till 1300hrs) No sign of either McLaren or DB5!!!
As a boy is was a Cub whose motto is "Be Prepared" As a Teen I was a Lovat Scout whose Motto is "Je Suis Prest" or "I am ready" As a man I was briefly a soldier in the Royal signals whose Motto is "Swift and Sure"
novicebuilder
Corporal
Corporal

Re: Dave's first build diar

Postby novicebuilder » Wed Apr 06, 2011 12:10 pm

I.....MUST......HAVE........PATIENCE!!!!!!!!!!!!!
novicebuilder
Corporal
Corporal

Postby novicebuilder » Thu Apr 07, 2011 1:37 pm

No sign of Postie yet!!! is there a strike (again)? I am getting fed up with royal mail. they seem to get later and later every day.
novicebuilder
Corporal
Corporal

Postby novicebuilder » Thu Apr 07, 2011 3:14 pm

Finally. Parts 1 and 2 have arrived.... now i need to get some plastic weld glue. Just looking at the scale of this thing. It's going to be HUGE!!!!
novicebuilder
Corporal
Corporal

Postby brogusblue » Thu Apr 07, 2011 3:44 pm

novicebuilder wrote:Finally. Parts 1 and 2 have arrived.... now i need to get some plastic weld glue. Just looking at the scale of this thing. It's going to be HUGE!!!!

Yeap .. i agree with that .. :shock: a thing of beauty .. 8-)
I must learn not to rush .. as this could be a costly mistake .. As i am finding out .. I only have myself to blame for the c*ck up's ..
brogusblue
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Postby novicebuilder » Fri Apr 08, 2011 1:56 pm

I have bought some plastic weld cement. but I can't seem to get it to bond well.
novicebuilder
Corporal
Corporal

Postby Mark » Fri Apr 08, 2011 8:31 pm

I'd guess you're trying to glue a painted surface. Plasticweld only works on a bare plastic surface. Of course, if you've got polystyrene cement (Revell Contacta, etc.) it won't stick ABS anyway.
Cheers
Mark

Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby novicebuilder » Sun Apr 10, 2011 8:01 pm

I'm using Plastic weld cement. i tried to scraped as much paint as possible. I have now got it together, and It is now stuck together.
novicebuilder
Corporal
Corporal

Postby novicebuilder » Sat Apr 30, 2011 1:05 pm

It's now 30th April, No Word on when the next 2? issues are coming, But why the question mark after the 2 i hear you ask. Because I thought this Like the DB5 and Tiger Tank, which I gave up due to communication problems with Hachette, were in 4 parts per month, so I was in the understanding that the Mclaren should be. but low I checked the DeAg website and only issues 3 and 4 are despatching, So It looks like a 18 month build will now take 36 month!! 3 years!!!! Lewis Hamilton should be a double world champion by then and another partwork of his championship winning car will be on sale!!!
novicebuilder
Corporal
Corporal

Postby novicebuilder » Tue May 03, 2011 1:19 pm

While I am waiting on DeAg to pull their finger out, saying that the delay is down to the bank holidays, I decided to dig out my Technic, and build an F1 car they released back in 1994. I am trying to upload pic but the files are too big so I may have to upload them to my facebook profile and post the on the DB5 and models Modding page
novicebuilder
Corporal
Corporal

Postby novicebuilder » Tue May 03, 2011 7:03 pm

The issues 3 and 4 arrived this afternoon, with the parts of the front wish bone and pushrod along with one wheel and the underside of the nosecone. but not much to put together.the metal of wheel and assembly and the suspension is kinda heavy, not DB5 heavy but just enough to give some weight and stability to an otherwise light plastic model. just disappointing that after the long wait, this is all you get, especially as Issue 5 is in shops now!!!

I just wonder what the 4 indents on the side of the nosecone are for, as there are no sign of any fins on the pictures and after all the attention to detail I don't think Koyoso would make any kind of mistakes. unless Its for optional fins and attachments. I just wish the was some kind of parts list and maybe a little more co operation from the customer service, distributor and supplier.
novicebuilder
Corporal
Corporal

Postby steam60 » Wed Jun 01, 2011 9:01 pm

Hi there to download pics use a free photo prog called photofiltre (free from the net) copy your files to it and reduce size to approx 400k size per pic will load ok to the site hope to see your pics soon cheers
steam60
Regiment Sergeant Major
Regiment Sergeant Major

Postby Mark » Wed Jun 01, 2011 9:19 pm

The max size for photos is 125kBytes. This limit prevents my server space (which costs money) from being eaten up by large photos.
An alternative is to upload them to www.photobucket.com and then you can place a link to show them in the message. That avoids any limit on file size, and photobucket conveniently resizes photos so they display properly in the thread.
Cheers
Mark

Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Paul » Thu Jun 02, 2011 4:46 pm

How's your DB5 going? :)
Cheers
Paul
Just :) to Cause a Landslide - Some :superlglue: will be included .....

Shelby Mustang GT-500
Pocher Lamborghini Aventador Roadster
Paul
General
General

Postby Mark » Thu Jun 02, 2011 8:56 pm

Not bad. I'm happy with the engine now, just need a little bit of brass paint to touch up the throttle linkages. The engine bay is OK for now. Just need to think about how to tackle the steering wheel.
Cheers
Mark

Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby novicebuilder » Fri Jun 03, 2011 12:28 pm

sorry for the lack of updates, but I am waiting on the next batch of deliveries from both the B5 and Mclaren but here is the link to the pics of what I have done so far

http://s1233.photobucket.com/albums/ff399/daveprice83/
I hope the link works .
novicebuilder
Corporal
Corporal

Postby Mark » Fri Jun 03, 2011 10:04 pm

The link works fine - and the McLaren looks great.
Cheers
Mark

Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to Build diaries