Sizing Engine

General modelling hints, tips, and techniques. Use of glues, paints, etc.
Please keep one topic per thread, and no long rambling conversations here (You know who I mean LOL)

Sizing Engine

Sponsor

Sponsor

Sizing Engine

Postby Andi Little » Wed Nov 29, 2017 4:14 pm

Hi all .............. struggled for a short while as to where to put this, didn't really want to open another thread just for this but couldn't find anywhere better.

Anyhoo, rather than build the Whaleboat, or the Christmas challenge I thought I'd mess about with this instead - kind of wanted one for a while, and finally justified the time to do it - it is in fact just made from bits out of the bin, and the only stuff I bought was the gears and the crocodile clips. It was fun for a start and then got quite bothersome when it wouldn't perform as I'd hoped - and mainly down to those gears - no way of fixing them properly and made out of a weird ungluable nylon type stuff.
Working now though and anyone with any questions sing out .............. here you go then ....................

Cheers all ..............................
Andi Little
Sergeant
Sergeant

Re: Sizing Engine

Postby Mark » Wed Nov 29, 2017 6:13 pm

Very nice, but what is it ?
Cheers
Mark

If you nose runs and your feet smell, you're upside down !
Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby wingnut » Wed Nov 29, 2017 6:20 pm

I think I've seen this before ( ;) ) it's "spit roaster" for very small pigs and it was invented by a man called Lou rolls :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:
;)
Coming second place makes you the fastest loser.
wingnut
Captain
Captain

Postby number1 » Wed Nov 29, 2017 8:13 pm

Mark wrote:Very nice, but what is it ?

Its a sizing engine :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :whistle: :think: (haven't a clue either)
number1
Lietenant Colonel
Lietenant Colonel

Postby royjess » Wed Nov 29, 2017 8:41 pm

I'm thinking of some sort of braiding/rope making machine????? :?: :?: :?:
Completed Builds Hachette - The Black Pearl
Completed Builds DeAgostini - Build the Millennium Falcon

Always thinking outside the box....!
royjess
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Andi Little » Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:06 pm

Crikey - I'm sorry chaps. For some reason I just kind of assumed you'd all be familiar with one of these. Basically, it's just a simple machine for sizing/seizing/whipping rope. You would seize the shrouds as they passed around the mast to stop chafing - blocks would have the rope seized or whipped about them.
You just string the rope between the clips and the gearing makes sure both ends revolve at the same speed enabling a neat job to be done - I shall attempt a couple of examples when I rig the Whaleboat and make sure to illustrate it with a few pic's when I get to that point.

An extreme example but you get the drift.

(totally borrowed the image so not sure how long it will last).
Andi Little
Sergeant
Sergeant

Postby number1 » Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:01 am

Ahhh thought it might be something to do with rope making, the distance between the clips made me think otherwise.
number1
Lietenant Colonel
Lietenant Colonel

Postby Andi Little » Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:36 am

number1 wrote:Ahhh thought it might be something to do with rope making, the distance between the clips made me think otherwise.

Understandable ... but if you look closely at the left-hand clip you might see that this is mounted on a copper tube that runs through and out of the frame. This means any longer lengths can be accommodated through this and the excess is wound around the cleat formed into the final (drawer knob) so everything revolves at the same speed - the workpiece and the job itself. Both clips, by the way, are just a push fit so I can mackle up different fitting methods depending on the job at hand.
This, of course, is what I hope will happen; and of course, it could (and probably will) - all go terribly wrong the first time I use it? :?
Andi Little
Sergeant
Sergeant

Return to Modelling Know-how