Painting advice needed

General modelling hints, tips, and techniques. Use of glues, paints, etc.
Please keep one topic per thread, and no long rambling conversations here (You know who I mean LOL)

Painting advice needed

Sponsor

Sponsor

Painting advice needed

Postby cmr1991 » Sun Jun 03, 2018 9:15 pm

Hi all,

Currently converting a DB5 gold finger to a db5 Rally car.....

I have build several partworks before, but never got into the whole customising thing so require a few tips.

Today I have removed and filled all the parts I needed, so no roof cut out, bumpers removed and filled, the bullet screen removed and Filled etc etc...The car had been stripped to bare metal.

Its now time to prime and paint,

im going for the same blue used on the Brabham BT55, I plan on using Grey primer, my steps are as follows, can anyone correct, offer advice on what I need to do, or where I may go wrong.

1) Sand all panels using a 800 grit
2) prime grey, SAnd between coats 1200 Grit.
3) apply top coat of paint, sand at 1200 grit.
4 apply gloss clear coat.. Do I sand this? if so what grit?

Advice I am really after is what grit do I need to use, do I sand the painted top coat, and then sand clear coat?

Regards,
cmr1991
Sergeant
Sergeant

Re: Painting advice needed

Postby cmr1991 » Sun Jun 03, 2018 9:17 pm

I am also going to be buying a airbrush kit, seen one for beginners... its from Aldi, Odd I know, but seems an "okay" bit of kit for a small amount of money :
https://www.aldi.co.uk/workzone-airbrush-compressor/p/083261211637200?gclid=CjwKCAjwo87YBRBgEiwAI1LkqZvtCvwZRc1P0WYmGK4D2YUitnPG4elIjRkVq8Zx1Ad9JvImc4kapBoCt2UQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds&dclid=CKC31funuNsCFcLjGwodqjUN_g

thoughts?
cmr1991
Sergeant
Sergeant

Postby cmr1991 » Sun Jun 03, 2018 10:28 pm

Change of plan, im going for this colour and theme... its "candy apple green.." I think?

Will grey primer still be okay to use?

cmr1991
Sergeant
Sergeant

Postby royjess » Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:50 am

Grey primer is what I use on all my models regardless of what the final top colour will be.

The Aldi air compressor looks similar to the one that I have. For the actual airbrush, I would go for the H&S Evolution airbrush, I wouldn't bother with a cheaper option.
Completed Builds Hachette - The Black Pearl
Completed Builds DeAgostini - Build the Millennium Falcon

Always thinking outside the box....!
royjess
Brigadier
Brigadier

Postby wingnut2 » Mon Jun 04, 2018 4:15 pm

royjess wrote:Grey primer is what I use on all my models regardless of what the final top colour will be.

The Aldi air compressor looks similar to the one that I have. For the actual airbrush, I would go for the H&S Evolution airbrush, I wouldn't bother with a cheaper option.

Hi, I agree with Roy :) the air compressor looks fine and at a good price ! you don't have to use the other "bits and bobs" as for the airbrush it's worth having a "go" with it you never know ? but practice first before you use it on your model, the one draw back with the brush is that it is "Siphon feed" your better off with a "gravity feed" they are far less "cumbersome" to use.
;)
When the tuff get going follow them........
wingnut2
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Postby cmr1991 » Mon Jun 04, 2018 6:30 pm

Hi folks,

I ended up buying this one on Amazon : https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00 ... UTF8&psc=1

it came today courtesy of the god that is amazon prime, I will be having a go with it over the next couple of days and let you know :)

Regards,
cmr1991
Sergeant
Sergeant

Postby casper » Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:44 am

I have that one :)
its ok as long as you don't mind the motor starting up every few seconds when painting large areas but apart from that its great for the price.
My Honda MP4/4 Build Diary
viewtopic.php?f=80&t=5208
casper
General
General

Postby wingnut2 » Tue Jun 05, 2018 3:35 pm

Looks like a good buy to me ! and you have the choice of airbrushes, good luck with it and let us know how you get on.
;)
When the tuff get going follow them........
wingnut2
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Postby cmr1991 » Wed Jun 06, 2018 6:21 pm

hey,

ive been having a play today, a good few hours, a good few pots of paint wasted.

My issue is that Everything is showing up as very streaky lines, Where am I going wrong?
cmr1991
Sergeant
Sergeant

Postby royjess » Wed Jun 06, 2018 11:14 pm

cmr1991 wrote:hey,

ive been having a play today, a good few hours, a good few pots of paint wasted.

My issue is that Everything is showing up as very streaky lines, Where am I going wrong?

Do you have a pic on the outcome of your painting?

What make of paints are you using?

I usually spray 4 thing coats of primer and then the same with the top colour and then the same again with the varnish. Leave the paint to dry for about 15 minutes in-between coats and 20 mins in-between your primer and main colour.

Don't spray too thick a coat, the first coat will be very patchy and hardly covering much, you will build up the colour with each coat and by the fourth coat of paint you should only then get a solid coat of colour.

Make sure that you shake your paints well. I usually shake mine for around 2 mins before each use. Don't forget to shake agan for 2 mins with each coat as the paint starts to settle again straight away.

When I use Vallejo model air paints, I also add the Vallejo flow improver and also Vallejo thinner to the ratio as instructed on the bottles.
Completed Builds Hachette - The Black Pearl
Completed Builds DeAgostini - Build the Millennium Falcon

Always thinking outside the box....!
royjess
Brigadier
Brigadier

Return to Modelling Know-how