Painting problem - help required please

General modelling hints, tips, and techniques. Use of glues, paints, etc.
Please keep one topic per thread, and no long rambling conversations here (You know who I mean LOL)

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Jm26ROB » Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:39 pm

I really need some advice on a problem with the paint job I did on eaglemoss Mercedes 300sl.

I resprayed in silver (I know strange since it was silver already!) using base and clear acrylic paint I have used on many other models without problems.

I Sprayed all the parts about a month ago however only recently the paint has developed a crackled effect all over which got worse over the last couple of days so everything at the moment is ruined.

I am unsure what could of happened and therefore how to correct it. I could sand back and start from scratch but I'm worried it will happen again.

I was hoping somebody may have seen this before or have some ideas as its pretty disappointing what has happened.

Any advice appreciated, I will try and upload a photo which is hopefully clear enough to explain.

Thanks
Attachments
DSC_04493.jpg
photo
DSC_04493.jpg (424.91 KiB) Viewed 557 times
Jm26ROB
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Re: Painting problem - help required please

Postby royjess » Sat Jul 14, 2018 9:06 am

Sorry to hear this.

Unfortunately, you will have to carefully remove the old paint and re-paint.

There are many reasons why the paint cracks.

The paint may have reacted with the paint underneath. Acrylics paint don't do well over oil based paint like enamel
Contaminated paint
Not allowing the paint to dry fully in-between coats
Too thick of a coat of clear paint
Extreme change in temperatures

What make of acrylic paints did you use? Also what type, did you use model paints in an airbrush or did you use auto paints direct from a spray can?
Completed Builds Hachette - The Black Pearl
Completed Builds DeAgostini - Build the Millennium Falcon

Always thinking outside the box....!
royjess
Brigadier
Brigadier

Postby wingnut2 » Sat Jul 14, 2018 4:22 pm

Hi, also sorry to hear of your problem, Roy is right what you are suffering from is called the "Orange peel" effect and is probably caused in your case by one paint reacting with another :( sadly there is no easy fix.
;)
When the tuff get going follow them........
wingnut2
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Postby Jm26ROB » Sat Jul 14, 2018 6:00 pm

thanks for the comments. when i get time i will sand down and start over and hope it turns out better.
picking up on the comments about temperature its been very warm recently and i get the feeling that temperature has played a part in this somehow. due to the fact the layers were drying quickly i didnt allow long between base and quite a thick clear coat so i do wonder if one of the layers set at a diffrent rate to the other.

i will update when i have the new results.

thanks
Jm26ROB
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Postby royjess » Sun Jul 15, 2018 9:07 am

Go easy when sanding as you don't want to ruin the shape of your model by over sanding.

Always follow the instructions on the paint container, so if lets say for example that the instructions say's leave the paint 24 hours to dry before applying the clear coat, then leave it 24 hours, especially if working with rattle/spray cans. Also follow the instructions for what temperature to use in if it says it on the can.

Always shake/stir the paint well, I shake mine for 2 mins.

Too many layers or too thick of an application of a coat of gloss/paint weakens the paint.

Remember even though the paint is touch dry, it can take many weeks, even months to fully cure. Especially if you are using spray paints from spray rattle can's, the solvents are sill evaporating and if you seal the paint in with a top clear coat before it has fully dried, the solvents are still pushing their way to the surface, hence why the paint cracks, also leaving the paint too long to dry in-between the coats can also cause issues too.
Completed Builds Hachette - The Black Pearl
Completed Builds DeAgostini - Build the Millennium Falcon

Always thinking outside the box....!
royjess
Brigadier
Brigadier

Postby bird_d00 » Sun Jul 15, 2018 9:48 am

I don't think I would even risk attempting to sand it down, but rather strip it right back with something like Phoenix Precision's Superstrip, and repaint from scratch. If it's a paint reaction to something underneath then unless you get it ALL off, then the problem could well return (been there, done that).Really, really annoying I know.

I have a whitemetal 7mm scale Adams Radial Tank loco in a worse state (paint actually flaking off) that I have been putting off redoing for some years. I guess it's contamination in the pores of the whitemetal seeping out - some of the castings resembled a sponge finger, but I thought I'd cleaned them up enough - obviously not.

David Bird
Built: Eaglemoss Vector3
Building: Hachette Mallard, Eaglemoss Endeavour X section, Altaya Bretagne, DeAgostini Wasa
bird_d00
Sergeant
Sergeant

Return to Modelling Know-how