what paint to use

General modelling hints, tips, and techniques. Use of glues, paints, etc.
Please keep one topic per thread, and no long rambling conversations here (You know who I mean LOL)

what paint to use

Sponsor

Sponsor

what paint to use

Postby mrmetallica1 » Tue Oct 23, 2018 8:29 pm

just got a air brush compressor and im wondering what is the best type of paint to use on pats of the model and do i need to use a protecter coat info please
mrmetallica1
Corporal
Corporal

Re: what paint to use

Postby Mark » Wed Oct 24, 2018 12:35 pm

That's a difficult question without a bit more details. Can you tell us what you're planning to paint.
As a general rule, use a primer onto bare plastic, followed by your top coat. Whether you need to thinker not depends on the paint. MIG/Ammo one shot primer doesn't need thinning, and is very good. Vallejo primer is horrible - avoid. Tamiya primer is good, either straight out of a rattle can, or decanted and air brushed.

Vallejo ModelAir paints are good and don't need thinning, although they do benefit from a few drops of their airbrush thinner or just plain water. Be warned, some Vallejo products don't thin with Vallejo airbrush thinner. It's a fickle brand.

Tamiya acrylic paints are excellent, and thin with about 50:50 Tamiya thinner.
Cheers
Mark

If you nose runs and your feet smell, you're upside down !
Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby mrmetallica1 » Thu Oct 25, 2018 6:49 am

Mark wrote:That's a difficult question without a bit more details. Can you tell us what you're planning to paint.
As a general rule, use a primer onto bare plastic, followed by your top coat. Whether you need to thinker not depends on the paint. MIG/Ammo one shot primer doesn't need thinning, and is very good. Vallejo primer is horrible - avoid. Tamiya primer is good, either straight out of a rattle can, or decanted and air brushed.

Vallejo ModelAir paints are good and don't need thinning, although they do benefit from a few drops of their airbrush thinner or just plain water. Be warned, some Vallejo products don't thin with Vallejo airbrush thinner. It's a fickle brand.

Tamiya acrylic paints are excellent, and thin with about 50:50 Tamiya thinner.

im going to be painting plastic parts and possibe metal parts on the db5 and the e-type jag as in a bit more detail in engine bay etc
mrmetallica1
Corporal
Corporal

Postby royjess » Thu Oct 25, 2018 9:20 am

I mainly use Vallejo model air, I add a few drops of air brush flow improver and thinner also made by Vallejo.

Tamiya paints seem to have better adhesion and give a tougher finish, but can be also harder to clean up afterwards. Again you will need to mix with thinner (Tamiya do a thinner especially for the paints)

Tamiya also do spray paints in a spray can too. (use in an outside shed or garage and use face mask when using spray paints from a spray can)

For a protective coat. I always give the paint several coats of gloss varnish and then if I want a satin or matt finish, then I will apply a satin or matt as the last coat.

For metal parts, I use etch primer and auto spray paints out of the spray cans, but you must use auto paints in a well ventilated area, preferably not in your home (outside garage or shed) using a mask as the paints are harmful to breath in. Don't coat auto paints with auto gloss, very difficult to get right without the paint cracking after a few months. Always read and follow the instructions exactly on the cans, especially drying times in-between changing from primer to paints.

Several thin coats (usually 4) are better than one thick coat. Your first 3 coats to be very patchy, only by the time you apply the fourth coat, it will be a solid colour.
Completed Builds Hachette - The Black Pearl
Completed Builds DeAgostini - Build the Millennium Falcon

Always thinking outside the box....!
royjess
Brigadier
Brigadier

Postby casper » Thu Oct 25, 2018 11:53 am

Vallejo do some really nice paints and model air colours flow well if you use their Retarder medium and thinner medium. I can't recommend the Gloss, I have only used this once or twice and its gone yellow :think: I tried some and it does dry clear but I'm looking for a better alternative for the Vallejo acrylics. I also had some Gold In Model colour but again after using it once or twice it went hard in the bottle. Vallejo paints are really nice to use with a brush when thinned with a little water.
Zero paints are very good and their colour matching is excellent, you do need plenty of ventilation and some PPE.
casp
My Honda MP4/4 Build Diary
viewtopic.php?f=80&t=5208
casper
General
General

Postby mrmetallica1 » Wed Oct 31, 2018 3:04 pm

thanks you for replies most helpfull john sorry casper whats ppe
mrmetallica1
Corporal
Corporal