Airbrush spitting water

General modelling hints, tips, and techniques. Use of glues, paints, etc.
Please keep one topic per thread, and no long rambling conversations here (You know who I mean LOL)

Airbrush spitting water

Sponsor

Sponsor

Airbrush spitting water

Postby Mark » Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:39 am

Despite having a water trap/regulator, my airbrush occasionally spits out water in varying amounts. It never used to do this, so I'm assuming that something in the water trap is dirty/fouled/clogged up. Anybody else ever had this problem ? It's a real pain in the paintwork.......

I shall rip the regulator apart and see if I can clean it. If not, it's going to be fun trying to find a replacement on line, when all the on line shops are in Chinese and China is currently blocking Google Translate..... :angry-banghead: :angry-banghead: :angry-banghead:
Cheers
Mark

If you nose runs and your feet smell, you're upside down !
Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Airbrush spitting water

Postby Dazza » Thu Oct 23, 2014 11:56 am

Yep had the same problem and it was my water trap! Easily fixed and I now run 2, one on the compressor and the other is on my airbrush. No more water!
If at first you don't succeed, never try sky diving!!
Dazza
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Postby Mark » Thu Oct 23, 2014 3:01 pm

I unscrewed the regulator this evening, and the damned thing came off in my hand :angry-banghead:
The union was almost corroded right through - surprised it hadn't fallen off already. There was only a millimetre of brass holding it. The inside of the regulator was corroded and very mucky too, so a new one is on order. That's put pay to my painting for a few days. :angry-banghead: :angry-banghead: :angry-banghead: :angry-banghead:
Cheers
Mark

Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Mark » Mon Oct 27, 2014 5:43 pm

New regulator arrived today :D I now have a working compressor again :D :D :D :D :D
Cheers
Mark

Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby RedRoo » Wed Dec 17, 2014 3:21 am

Mark wrote:Despite having a water trap/regulator, my airbrush occasionally spits out water in varying amounts. It never used to do this, so I'm assuming that something in the water trap is dirty/fouled/clogged up. Anybody else ever had this problem ? It's a real pain in the paintwork.......

I shall rip the regulator apart and see if I can clean it. If not, it's going to be fun trying to find a replacement on line, when all the on line shops are in Chinese and China is currently blocking Google Translate..... :angry-banghead: :angry-banghead: :angry-banghead:

:superlglue: Mark, do you have a small tap on the bottom of your air tank on your compressor ?

If so, Loosen the tap and a whole lot of built up condensation should come out, as if this is not done on a regular basis, this will 'find it's way' through all your piping and overload your moisture 'trap' and water will eventually find it's way through to your AB. :doh:
RedRoo
Captain
Captain

Postby Mark » Wed Dec 17, 2014 2:11 pm

I don't actually have a tank on my compressor! I still get the odd time where I get a slug of water through, but I think it's Shanghai being quite humid, and the compressor being rather cheap. Seems to happen when I am spraying a heavy coat on something large.
Cheers
Mark

Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Manoverboard » Wed Dec 17, 2014 5:59 pm

Mark wrote:I don't actually have a tank on my compressor! I still get the odd time where I get a slug of water through, but I think it's Shanghai being quite humid, and the compressor being rather cheap. Seems to happen when I am spraying a heavy coat on something large.

Hi Mark ! My advice (for what it's worth :lol: ) you can buy "inline" moisture traps which do what it say's on the tin :o It's perhaps considered "belt and braces" but it's worth it !
Kim.
Necessity is the mother of invention, but still keep your powder dry
Manoverboard
Lietenant Colonel
Lietenant Colonel

Postby RedRoo » Wed Dec 17, 2014 7:16 pm

Manoverboard wrote:
Mark wrote:I don't actually have a tank on my compressor! I still get the odd time where I get a slug of water through, but I think it's Shanghai being quite humid, and the compressor being rather cheap. Seems to happen when I am spraying a heavy coat on something large.

Hi Mark ! My advice (for what it's worth :lol: ) you can buy "inline" moisture traps which do what it say's on the tin :o It's perhaps considered "belt and braces" but it's worth it !
Kim.

:clap: Totally agree with MOB Mark, as I have one also and I have a large stand alone compressor. Roo. :D
RedRoo
Captain
Captain

Postby Mark » Thu Dec 18, 2014 12:41 am

Thanks for your thoughts guys. I have one on my shopping list :D
Cheers
Mark

Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby morrigan » Tue Dec 23, 2014 7:36 pm

Yup they work as advertised!
The result of a long airbrush session on a 90% humidity day!
Needs more fusewire
morrigan
Lietenant Colonel
Lietenant Colonel

Return to Modelling Know-how