Protective coating for Mk-82/84 GP bombs.

General modelling hints, tips, and techniques. Use of glues, paints, etc.
Please keep one topic per thread, and no long rambling conversations here (You know who I mean LOL)

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby RedRoo » Mon Apr 06, 2015 10:24 am

:superlglue: There are some kits that have some great ordinance in the way of "Slicks". :think:

:think: I have also noticed in some photos, a distinctive rough surface on some and I wondered what it was. :think:

:doh: To my surprise, it is a coating similar to "Zimmermitt" in that it is a protective coating designed to keep the bomb a little cooler if it is in a fire, supposedly taking a lot longer to heat up to a critical temperature before exploding. :pray:

:think: So, I got to wondering how I could replicate this material/surface texture and keep it to scale. :ugeek:

I think I have come up with something that looks the part, using Tamiya filler putty, thinned down to a 'slurry' with both Testors 'sealer' for metalizer paints and I also tried some tamiya liquid glue, as both have a high evaporation rate, allowing the putty to be 'workable'.that let me 'work' the substance until it started to go 'Off'.

I am led to believe that a 'single yellow' line on the tip of a bomb denotes a particular type of explosive content, as does a "double yellow".
Attachments
DSCN3002.JPG
So that the 'excess' would not effect the fuse head and tail fins, I wrapped them with some Parrafilm as a 'mask off'.
DSCN3002.JPG (115.75 KiB) Viewed 1981 times
DSCN3003.JPG
Squeezing out a small amount of the putty, I then mixed in the sealer and a bit of glue and made a slurry thin enough to have it spreadable and enough to cover the bomb completely.
DSCN3003.JPG (90.01 KiB) Viewed 1981 times
DSCN3009.JPG
As the mix started to harden, I used a small piece of very coarse sand paper to create the 'lines' and a rough looking surface.
DSCN3009.JPG (124.74 KiB) Viewed 1981 times
DSCN3004.JPG
Continoally 'working' the sand paper on the drying surface all the time produced the results I was hoping to achieve, and once I had, I put it aside to 'cure'.
DSCN3004.JPG (97.02 KiB) Viewed 1981 times
DSCN3007.JPG
After it was sufficiently dry, I then removed the parrafilm, careful not to break any of the coating awayby running a blade around the end of the worked area for better demarcation.
DSCN3007.JPG (93.1 KiB) Viewed 1981 times
DSCN3010.JPG
To overcome any "Silvering", I coated the area where I wanted the decal to be with my favourite substance, "Clear School Glue", but just enough to get it to be pressured into all the nooks and crannies of the surface, displacing any air that is the usual culprit that causes silvering.
DSCN3010.JPG (105.08 KiB) Viewed 1981 times
DSCN3012.JPG
Placing the decal on the glued area, I pressed it down with a moist/damp cloth, I then coated the decal with some 'softener' and waited for it to take effect and then applied a fair amount of pressure with my thomb and a moist cloth, carefully wiping away any excess glue that came out from under the decal, and I do like the final result, as these is no silvering and it all looks "To Scale".
DSCN3012.JPG (107.89 KiB) Viewed 1981 times
Mark82Bomb.jpg
This is the genuine article care of Wikipedia.
Mark82Bomb.jpg (93.18 KiB) Viewed 1981 times
RedRoo
Captain
Captain

Re: Protective coating for Mk-82/84 GP bombs.

Postby chill » Mon Apr 06, 2015 12:13 pm

Wow.

Excellent work there

:clap:
Who cares who wins
chill
Major General
Major General

Postby Gundog » Mon Apr 06, 2015 12:36 pm

Great work Roo. k

Although I must admit, I don't usually put Mk 82s in the log burner :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Benjamin Franklin

Building: Hachette Bismarck, DeAgostini Sovereign of the Seas, 74 Sqn. tribute, Tamiya 1/32 Mosquito FBVI

In the stash: Way too much
Gundog
Major
Major

Postby RedRoo » Mon Apr 06, 2015 1:25 pm

:laughing-rolling: Yes !! Count Rumford would not be impressed with his new fireplace mate. :laughing-rolling:

http://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&rct=j ... 7451,d.dGc
RedRoo
Captain
Captain

Postby casper » Mon Apr 06, 2015 5:04 pm

Texture looks excellent Roo :clap: :clap: and the decal came out perfect
well done mate, have a K :clap: :)
My Honda MP4/4 Build Diary
viewtopic.php?f=80&t=5208
casper
General
General

Return to Modelling Know-how