How far does 17ml airbrush paint go?

General modelling hints, tips, and techniques. Use of glues, paints, etc.
Please keep one topic per thread, and no long rambling conversations here (You know who I mean LOL)

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby wonderer » Sat Dec 19, 2015 2:26 pm

Hi all

Please forgive the amateurish question but I have googled and cannot seem to find a roundabout answer. I know, I know, piece of string and all that but I was ust looking for a general idea regarding airbrush paint coverage. I was looking at getting a starter airbrush, compressor and paints to get me started in this world but would like some idea as to how much the paint would cover. I was looking at this set http://www.amazon.co.uk/Vallejo-Model-Basic-Colors-Acrylic/dp/B002U5QX04/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1450530812&sr=8-9&keywords=Vallejo+paints wich seems like a good starter set of 17ml bottles but how far would an average bottle go? I am looking at trying my hand at the Airbus A380 1.48

Any help would be much appreciated

Rich
wonderer
Private
Private

Re: How far does 17ml airbrush paint go?

Postby Mustang » Sat Dec 19, 2015 3:47 pm

Like you say, how longs a piece of string.

I can't give you 100% correct answer, but myself I use Vallejo paints both model and air. All I can say is that a little goes a long long away, I'm still using the same paint I brought years ago.

If your going to airbrush then with the Vallejo air paints won't need to be thined as the manufacture has already done that for you.

I've built many 1/48 aircraft the best I've bone is a mirage in the tiger meet version in bright yellow, and all the paint I used would sit in 1 to 2 teaspoons.

So a little does go a long way as when you spray the paint the airbrush reduces the paint into very very small partials.

Hope this helps in some way, but I'm sure someone else will go into more depth. :lol:
Mustang
Brigadier
Brigadier

Postby wonderer » Sat Dec 19, 2015 6:08 pm

Mustang wrote:Like you say, how longs a piece of string.

I can't give you 100% correct answer, but myself I use Vallejo paints both model and air. All I can say is that a little goes a long long away, I'm still using the same paint I brought years ago.

If your going to airbrush then with the Vallejo air paints won't need to be thined as the manufacture has already done that for you.

I've built many 1/48 aircraft the best I've bone is a mirage in the tiger meet version in bright yellow, and all the paint I used would sit in 1 to 2 teaspoons.

So a little does go a long way as when you spray the paint the airbrush reduces the paint into very very small partials.

Hope this helps in some way, but I'm sure someone else will go into more depth. :lol:

That's a big help, thank you. Having never used anything other than Humbrol and brushes on smaller Airfix stuff I just had zero idea regarding airbrush coverage so its great to hear it is pretty good. One other quick question I while I am here, regarding aircraft sizes 1.48 and larger, what size needles would be good for larger coverage, like the wings and fuselage etc? Is there a general all purpose size that would suit to get started?
wonderer
Private
Private

Postby Mark » Sat Dec 19, 2015 6:47 pm

What's the wingspan of the kit you're thinking of ? A 1/48 A380 must be pretty big !

My 1/32 Corsair has used about 2 10ml Tamiya jars, thinned about 2 paint to 1 thinners.

I built a 1/16 Tiger tank, which is a sizeable model which took about 3 bottles of Vallejo Modelair paint, but I was quite heavy handed with the paint.
Cheers
Mark

If you nose runs and your feet smell, you're upside down !
Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to Modelling Know-how