Mark's T gauge train set !

....or trams. Keep this section on the right track !

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Mark » Thu Jun 01, 2017 2:17 pm

I blame Roy !! He's the one who told me about T gauge railways. I'd always fancied a Z gauge layout, coz I like small, but it's not that much smaller than N gauge, and there isn't a great choice of stuff on the market. Mainly Marklin. Anyway, I'd always managed to resist the urge to buy a Z gauge set. But T gauge, well, it's tiny !! Just 3mm across the tracks. There isn't a great deal of choice of rolling stock pre-made. An Intercity 125, and quite a few Japanese trains. No steam locos.
However, you can buy bare chassis, and http://www.tgauge.com sell a body kit, and plenty of other spares so you can scratch build your own. Shapeways have lots of T gauge stuff available too. So, what's a man to do. I couldn't resist......

So here is the signal box kit. This is a really tiny and very detailed kit !!

Just to make it interesting, it has a well detailed interior !! It's glazed too.

Here's the Deltic class 55 kit.

The kit contains the main body, etched ventilators, windscreen frame, etc. some really tiny buffers, and a vac formed windows. This is a full size liner that will also help keep the electrics from shorting out no the brass body.

And finally, here is the bare chassis, which is not included in the body kit.

Of course, the chassis has double bogies, whereas the Deltic has triple bogies. The instructions show how to modify the bogies, but you need a spare bogie, and there is also a triple bogie outer cover which you can also buy, but I didn't yet.

Looks like it's going to be a fun model to build, and nice to see a model working for a change. I generally don't like working gimmicks, such as lights, ejector seats, etc, but I'll make an exception for a train ;)
Cheers
Mark

If you nose runs and your feet smell, you're upside down !
Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Mark's T gauge train set !

Postby steve131 » Thu Jun 01, 2017 3:02 pm

Have you got your etch mate back or are you using plier's?
steve131
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Mark » Thu Jun 01, 2017 3:29 pm

I've got a small etch mate, but most of the time I prefer to use etch pliers. I've got two - a normal sized Hasegawa pair, which are very good. I've also got a Tamiya etch folding tweezers. Useful for the tiny parts. They are like a pair of tweezers with ends that are about 1 or 1.5mm square.
Cheers
Mark

Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby royjess » Thu Jun 01, 2017 4:12 pm

Very nice, which trains did you go for with the starter kit? The HST or ICE?

They are tiny :o ......

...and I'm well gel :mrgreen:

Roy ;) :D
Completed Builds Hachette - The Black Pearl
Completed Builds DeAgostini - Build the Millennium Falcon

Always thinking outside the box....!
royjess
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Mark » Thu Jun 01, 2017 4:37 pm

I went for the HST. Didn't fancy the German ICE, and it's twice the price !!
The train out of the starter set has been delayed, but I've got the rest. Photos of that when I get the train.
Cheers
Mark

Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby number1 » Thu Jun 01, 2017 6:14 pm

Didn't know you could get these as "kits", only seen them as complete sets at a model train show. Watching with interest :)
number1
Lietenant Colonel
Lietenant Colonel

Postby royjess » Thu Jun 01, 2017 7:56 pm

Mark wrote:I went for the HST. Didn't fancy the German ICE, and it's twice the price !!
The train out of the starter set has been delayed, but I've got the rest. Photos of that when I get the train.

Great choice, it's the one that Jess and I have our eyes on :mrgreen:

royjess
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Mark » Mon Jun 05, 2017 5:25 am

Just for fun, here is the bare chassis inside the vacformed Deltic shell. Fits like a glove.

Here are my etch folding pliers and tweezers. The ends of the tweezers and 1mm square.

Cheers
Mark

Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Mark » Mon Jun 05, 2017 5:39 am

I couldn't resist making a start on the signal box. First up, the point and signal levers. These are insanely small !! They fold up zig-zag fashion, and do a fair impression of Zeberdee (for those who remember the Magic Roundabout.)

But eventually I got them glued in place :D

There is a stove to be glued in place too, but I'm going to leave that until later as the chimney needs to line up with a hole in the roof.

The windows have very fine lines etched. I painted these white with well thinned paint, let it dry, then polished off the excess with a polishing stick. That worked a treat.

The main part of the building is a fabulously designed and etched part. One piece that form the walls. The join has interlocking bricks, that fit together perfectly. The corners are perforated rather than a half etched line, and you get a really sharp fold. It's really easy to assemble this part ! (Well, it can't all be nano-engineering !!)

Cheers
Mark

Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Mark » Tue Jun 13, 2017 2:41 am

Still trying to come up with a suitable layout for my railway. I was thinking of featuring the Tamar bridge, more correctly known as the Royal Albert Bridge, which carries the main line from Cornwall to Devon. It was built in the mid 1800's by IK Brunel and is a lovely piece of industrial architecture. That will be about 600mm long for the main spans, plus a bit for the river banks. However, it's a single track bridge, and I was really hoping to have a double loop layout. It's a stonking great wide river too.

So, I'm looking for a layout with a long single track bridge, a very wide (700mm) river, double track loop, and some tunnels. A station would be nice, but not essential. I was also considering the possibility of a dockyard.
On the positive, side, these trains have magnetic wheels, so they will cope with remarkably steep gradients. Anybody got any suggestions ?
Cheers
Mark

Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby royjess » Tue Jun 13, 2017 7:40 pm

Have you decided on what the size of your layout you are looking at?

Here are a couple of layout plans taken from Peco's N gauge track plans book. You could do something along these lines and make the river wider to accommodate your Tamar bridge. Peco tend to do layouts where the tunnel/bridge takes the trains off behind the scenes.

This one has lots of points, its a dock yard. Personally I would be steering clear on having points on such a small T-gauge

You could go for the Auto Train Exchange system (Currently out of stock, but you could enquire if they will be getting more in) which will allow you to run two trains in alternative directions on a single track of line

https://www.tgauge.com/product/120/22/a ... nge-system

As in the next pic, have the bridge running across the top section and the bottom section runs behind the scenes via tunnels or bridges and the trains will run alternatively in difference directions.

I be interested to see which one or maybe your own layout that you go for

Roy

royjess
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Mark » Wed Jun 14, 2017 3:22 am

Thanks Roy, I do like the idea of the tunnels taking the train off behind the scenes, as it give the impression of a larger layout. I did actually buy the cables for the auto exchange. I'm not sure why it's shown as out of stock as it's only a collection of cables, and the individual cables are in stock. It would give the nice effect of both up and down traffic across a single track bridge. It would be nice to hide the exchange area in a tunnel, but I'm not sure I trust the train to be reliable over the automatic points. As an aside, I made a mistake and ordered the manual points rather than the automatic, spring loaded ones, but I'll need more stuff for the layout anyway, so that's not a big issue. The dockyard may well have sidings, but they will be mainly aesthetic. While they will work, I don't anticipate 'playing' with them.

As an aside, I wonder if it's possible to use a Raspberry Pi processor to automate a layout.
Cheers
Mark

Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Mark » Wed Jun 14, 2017 5:31 am

Here are a couple of photos of the HST 125. It looks very good and runs well. The only issue I have is that the coaches tend to jump off the rails now and again. I'm thinking of changing the coach wheels to magnetic wheels, unless I can find an easier fix on the T gauge forum or Facebook page.

Cheers
Mark

Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby royjess » Wed Jun 14, 2017 7:35 pm

I'm please to see that you now have the HST 125. Hopefully you get the teething problems sorted out with the derailments. I look forward to seeing your layout take shape

royjess
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Mark » Thu Jun 15, 2017 2:21 pm

Here's a short video. I think the derailment must have been due to a bit of track not perfectly joined as it ran ok tonight.

https://youtu.be/yTXcQ7vdAa0
Cheers
Mark

Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby royjess » Thu Jun 15, 2017 11:01 pm

Looking at the video, you forget how tiny the train is. Love the fact it has lights. :mrgreen:

I've have an idea for your layout. Where the train runs off behind the scenes, you will have the reversing track section with the automatic points, this would make a lovely automatic station stop, so one train enters the station and stops and then the other one then leaves the station in the opposite direction. The fiddlers yard, sidings behind the scenes would make a lovely dock yard. Do you see where I'm going here? :think:

I'm thinking of having the best of both worlds. Your layout could be divided into two completely separate scenes, so by adding scenery to the section behind the scenes, you could have two different scenes on the one layout. So depending on which way you turn your layout around and which side you view it from, you could have both the Tamar bridge and your dock scene. So when viewing from the Tamar bridge, the Docks will become the behind she scene section and when you are viewing the docks, the Tamar bridge will become now become the behind the scene section, if you get my drift :)

I quiet like to use something like this idea for myself :)

royjess
Colonel
Colonel

Postby royjess » Sat Jun 17, 2017 9:31 pm

I've just notice these electric operated points on the website. They are currently out of stock, but I've not notice them before, so I presume they have recently been added, unless I've over looked them

https://www.tgauge.com/product/352/3/le ... ric-points

https://www.tgauge.com/product/353/3/ri ... ric-points

royjess
Colonel
Colonel

Postby casper » Fri Jun 23, 2017 4:51 pm

Hi Mark
catching after my absence :)
:shock: I didn't know they did trains at this scale, so small :o
Your 125 runs really smooth in the video and fast too.
casp
My Honda MP4/4 Build Diary
viewtopic.php?f=80&t=5208
casper
General
General

Postby Mark » Fri Jun 23, 2017 6:51 pm

I'd give the Bullet Train a run for its money !! Laura was driving !!

Fast isn't so much a problem, but slow running can be more challenging.
Cheers
Mark

Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to Railways