N guage railway

....or trams. Keep this section on the right track !

N guage railway

Sponsor

Sponsor

N guage railway

Postby Jcmanu » Mon Nov 07, 2011 1:12 am

Hello my many friends, I have a little no prize, only a thank you competition for you. I've dismantled my ho/00 guage railway as space got the better of me, as a result I have a load of gear available for sale, so I can use any funds raised to start my new n guage layout which is quiet big at 8ft long by 2ft wide, a nice size for n guage. My new layout is at the design stage and what a heartache it is to design when your not used to that guage. It will be incorporating a small village in the middle, a pond area in the village plus shops, a few houses etc, outside the village on the left will be a line going to a dockside which will have a few storage sheds and a few ships in port, behind that will be a little industrialised area, and gasworks. On the right side of the village will be a line going to a coal works , which will be on a small hill, then at the bottom right side will be a beach area. Of course I will have roads , connecting it all. And of course I'll have a waterfall at the bottom of which will be a stream , which will becheading out to the beach. Now I have all that done into a load of rough drawings and the final design is nearly there. What am I short you might say ..well its simple, I'm trying for months to think of a desirable name for this outlay and I don't want to copy one from my research books and mags so I'm hoping that one of you might be able to help me. To me , naming a layout is like naming a child, after all its gonna be its name for as long as I have it and want something nice that will suit its design. Anybody any ideas please.thank you my friends..
https://www.justgiving.com/crowdfunding/john-calnan
Jcmanu
Corporal
Corporal

Re: N guage railway

Postby SkyFire » Mon Nov 07, 2011 1:24 am

Welcome my friend, good to see your layout is going at last. :)

Now for a name, thinks.

Rocky Mountain Southern, a railway born of the need to move the coal and later gas to the docks and to carry tourists down to the coast from the small village. After years of hardship the railway has picked up with the help of tourists flocking to the great beach and other activities in the area. The steam locomovites always being the biggest hit with the tourists to the town, but also with the locals for getting to work at the coal mine and gas works. Through necessity the railway has had to buy a few diesels to cope with the demand of traffic from the coal mine and gas works to the ports. With a great future in front of it, the railway will be around for a quite a few years yet.

Hows that my friend, a name and a bio for the railway and you get a K from me as well. :)
bItuHpa' BIHeghjaj - (Death before shame). ortaS bIr jablu'DI', reH QaQqu' nay' - Revenge is a dish best served cold. Qapla'!
SkyFire
Major
Major

Postby SkyFire » Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:08 am

An update from jcmanu about his layout, any ideas on the N scale airport ?

Try hard as I could but I cant find any n scale airport buildings especially a tower and a terminus, there to complicated to scratch build.

I've decided to put a 3 rd level on the layout to incorporate the airport and a ford factory that I'm building in memory of my dad who worked for ford for nearly 50 years,on the right side of the layout levels -1 and 1 will be 16" deep while level 2 which has the airport will be 8" deep so that I can fully see the other two levels, level -1 is largely a big fiddle yard and will also house the 3 stall roundhouse with the motorised turntable in front of it, that level will also have two 2 engine sheds, to the front of level -1 I will also have a few industrial buildings to hide the fiddle yard but I'm setting it up so that I have easy access for repairs and maintainence. I can't wait for you to Come over and see it, I'll be posting pics soon so that you can see the progress but at the moment I'm building the 3 levels on an open mdf baseboard design.

Once that's done I'll start laying the track and cork bedding for the track to keep the noise down and help prevent derailments by stopping the locos from 'bouncing' on the hard mdf baseboard. It's gonna be some layout my friend. Try and find a supplier for the tower and terminus my friend, anywhere between 1-148 and 1-160 will do. I came across a great site that sells die cast 1/150 scale jet airliners for an average price of about €10.00 each, I could get the 1-144 scale plastic self build kits but there shite compared to the beautiful die cast ones that I've come across, there only about €4.00 more than the finicky plastic ones.

I can't design the airport until I buy the tower and terminus and of course the plane hangers as I don't have any sizes, I'm planing two runways, about 18"long. This layout design is getting better by the day. Just wait my friend, tell our friends on the forum that i haven't forgotten them, I'm just getting back into my routine and I'll catch up soon.
bItuHpa' BIHeghjaj - (Death before shame). ortaS bIr jablu'DI', reH QaQqu' nay' - Revenge is a dish best served cold. Qapla'!
SkyFire
Major
Major

Postby SkyFire » Sat Oct 20, 2012 1:33 am

When I go to visit JC at the end of the year, I will try and get some photos up on here with how he is going with the build.
SkyFire
Major
Major

Postby mike » Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:05 am

Good to see you back JC
Hope your N gauge layout goe's well :D

mike
mike
Captain
Captain

Postby SkyFire » Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:50 am

Photos of Jcmanu's model railway, from when I was staying with him. Btw I slept in this room as well. The layout is now known as the Rathford Railway.

SkyFire
Major
Major

Postby Paul » Tue Aug 30, 2016 5:54 am

SkyFire wrote:Photos of Jcmanu's model railway, from when I was staying with him. Btw I slept in this room as well. The layout is now known as the Rathford Railway.

Many thanks for sharing the photos with us all :D :D
Just :) to Cause a Landslide - Some :superlglue: will be included .....

Shelby Mustang GT-500
Pocher Lamborghini Aventador Roadster
Paul
General
General

Postby Jcmanu » Tue Aug 30, 2016 8:17 am

The second leg of my L shaped layout is now in place.
Jcmanu
Corporal
Corporal

Postby Jcmanu » Sat Sep 17, 2016 9:59 am

Unfortunately due to the rising cost of my cancer care and because my government has cut my funding for treatment in the UK where I have to go every year for up to 12 / 16 weeks at a time - I have to sell my entire N GAUGE DCC LAYOUT, Im making layouts for over 40 yrs and this breaks my heart , but it's health over my hobby Im afraid , Im also selling my 1-200 scale REMOTE CONTROL AIRCRAFT CARRIER ( 3 ft long ) USS NIMITZ CVN 68 . My best mate skyfire747 will continue to run the group & post pics of his layout amongst the pics of the other member layouts, this is not the end for me and I'll continue to contribute all I can to the group , hopefully once my cancer transplant is over , I'll restart my fav hobby and rebuild a new layout , Im selling the entire layout in one go as I don't have time to sell bit x bit on EBAY , for that reason I'm selling everything I have at a huge loss , it's cost me over €5000 over the last 3 yrs to build the layout that is now taken down and anyone who will pay close to €1999 can have a hell of a lot of stock that is just to much to list , there is LOCOS , carriages , NCE Power control unit , brand new Hornby decoder units , 18 new lengths in box of Peco flexi track SL 300, straight track, curves , insulfrog points of all different types , boxes & boxes of new scenery items , wagons , rail car transporters with cars, rail car breakdown / crash recovery cranes , cars ,lorries , buses all brand new , over 45 buildings that are very intricate Bavarian / Roman type made of plastic by Kibri , volmer , model etc no cardboard buildings , loads of plaster build walls, tunnel mouths / sides , a specially commissioned 14 ft length of dock walling including 2 sections with steps down to water ,boxes of new various trees , flower beds , reeds , weeds , I could go on and on , please contact me if interested . My best mate Anthoney will do a great job of running this group so please support him. I will be back but right now I have to try raise €150,000 for my transplant , but my love of railway models will draw me back here once my op is over and I'll restart again.
Leave a message or contact me by IM & I'll get back to you , to buy all Im selling will cost you over €5000 so this is a great once in a lifetime offer , thanks my friends
John

https://www.facebook.com/groups/johnsngaugerailway/
Jcmanu
Corporal
Corporal

Return to Railways