1:20.3 scale Outside frame Boxcar

....or trams. Keep this section on the right track !

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Swordfish Fairey » Sat Nov 15, 2014 6:18 pm

This is a boxcar I made a few years ago for my Garden Railroad, the Somerset & Western R.R...........I bought my first loco a two truck Shay and a stack of Garden Railways magazines at the Exeter Garden Railway show and in one of the magazine issues there was a plan for an Outside Frame boxcar........I have a 1:20.3 (F) scale U.S. style Narrow Gauge Garden Railroad under construction and these two were the first items of rolling stock for it.......

I used some modelling timbers and welding rod to make the underframe, the welding rods are used for the truss rods with electrical connectors as turnbuckles...................

The plans in "Garden Railways" are first rate and it's just a case of copying the plan and building the car on it like a balsa aeroplane model..............

Just lifted off the copy plan...........

I used Bachmann G scale running gear as it is good scale wise and reasonably cheap too..................
It has had some wood stain applied and some small nuts and bolts fitted for detailing...........

Good old coffee stirrers provided the flooring..............

One end lifted off the plan and trial fitted................The strip braces and steps etc are all Silver soldering strip.................
Reckon that works...........

To cut a long story short, here she is in all her glory.............

With my Shay (what a machine) basking in this years sunshine. The loco is due in the shops to be weathered and detailed and have the road name changed to the Somerset & Western R.R..............................

Of course I could not have done this build without my "Shop Inspector".................The roofing 'felt' is just wet n dry paper stuck on abrasive side up,..................

I have started a Caboose from the same Magazine plans, but the "Black Pearl" build has put that on the back boiler.........Ho Hum, what we do to keep our Women happy...............

Tony
Be yourself........Everyone else is taken....

Tony
Swordfish Fairey
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Re: 1:20.3 scale Outside frame Boxcar

Postby Mark » Mon Nov 17, 2014 8:38 am

Lovely job. Who could think coffee stirrers could look so good !!
Cheers
Mark

If you nose runs and your feet smell, you're upside down !
Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to Railways