OO Gauge Winter Wonderland

....or trams. Keep this section on the right track !

Re: OO Gauge Winter Wonderland

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby royjess » Fri Sep 25, 2015 7:00 pm

Thanks Steve

I'm hoping that it will be ready in time for Xmas (2016 ;) ), but who knows, at least I've now got the basics up and running and Jess and I we has both been playing with it.

There is still loads more to do, I've got some signals to fix, station to mod and fix, street lighting, landscaping the old fashion way of using paper mache, snow to add plus much more.

If you think the budgies are noisy, you alt to hear the bigger birds ;)
Completed Builds Hachette - The Black Pearl
Completed Builds DeAgostini - Build the Millennium Falcon

Always thinking outside the box....!
royjess
Brigadier
Brigadier

Postby number1 » Fri Sep 25, 2015 7:40 pm

Love the opening gates, can't wait to see it all up and running, roll on xmas!
number1
Lietenant Colonel
Lietenant Colonel

Postby royjess » Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:36 pm

Thanks #1

Today not a great day, spent some hours fitting a couple of the Dapol motorised signals. These were nice and worked very well for around 30 minutes or so and then they both stop working all together. I double checked all the wiring and everything was wired as instructed. I can only assume that a power surge had blown these, so I've contacted the seller for some advice and waiting for a reply :angry-banghead:

I also fitted a changeover reed switch to my level crossing gates to allow the gates to self park. One of the reed switch is working fine, however the other one is faulty and again, I'm waiting for a response from the seller.

So it might not only be my free time that might hold up this build, but also some teething problems :angry-banghead:

To be continued...

royjess
Brigadier
Brigadier

Postby royjess » Fri Oct 02, 2015 10:48 pm

I've spoken to Dapol about my blown signals and they assured me that I've not wired them up wrong or done anything to cause that, they ask me to send them back to them free post and that they will send me some replacement ones. Hopefully these will arrive soon and I don't have the same problem, other wise I might go for the ratio kits and operate them using a point motor.

My replacement changeover reed switch came and I've fitted it. A changeover reed switch has three electric terminals and when a magnet is place near it it allows the electric current to change from one to the other. I use these as I want the electric to disconnect when the magnet is place near it. So I only use the two terminals and a push button is wired up to bypass this. Two of the changeover reed switches are wired in series. This set up will allow me to push the button to set off the gates and they will automatically self park when the gates either open or close.

I've also fitted a arm onto one of the cogs with a magnet which moves from one reed switch to the other.

Within the red circle is the moving arm (grey) and two changeover reed switch plus an additional reed switch which stops the train before the level crossing if the gates are open. This is another safety feature I fitted.

I've recently discovered a new way to wire up the point motors, this allows only one wire from the switch to the points instead of two wires. Also with a use of a single capacitor and clever arrangement of diodes, using a DC instead of AC, by changing the direction of the current, this activates the points. The advantage of this set up allows you to leave the point switch in the direction instead of returning it to the off postilion and also there is no need for a trigger switch. This freed up some of my wires running from the control box to the layout, so I could now use these free wires to add more switches to the control unit to operate more accessories or to override some of the safety features or isolated sections of the track. There is also no need for a CDU. This meant that I had to rewire the point switches and replace my CDU with a bridge reciter.

The only down side with this set up, if all the point switches are switched to negative, then there is no power to switch a point until at least one of the points switch is switch to positive.

To over come this, I arrange the diodes to allow for all the switches to be in the up position (positive) and the points are set for the main line, but then to flick the switch down (negative) to change to the siding.

Jess has found this method of operating the points a lot easier than the original method.

Here is the website that I got the wiring diagram from for the new point method, it is a good website, staring off with some simple wiring for the novice and working through to some more trickier wiring for the experience. The point wiring is at least three quarters or more down on this site and it is under the title of "ONE WIRE PLUS RETURN POINT OPERATION WITH INDIVIDUAL CAPACITOR"

http://www.brian-lambert.co.uk/Electrical.html

I've also started to landscape the layout, the level crossing is leveled out using card, the skaters workings are now covered up and I've stared work on the tunnel and banks around the edge of the layout. I was going to use some PVA glue mixed with water for the paper mache, but I seem to be using up a lot of glue, so I'm going to get some wallpaper paste and make a bucket load of paste up.

To be continued....

royjess
Brigadier
Brigadier

Postby royjess » Sat Oct 03, 2015 6:35 pm

More landscaping today. The pond is now more of a irregular shape.

I made some glue for the paper mache by mixing a cup full of flour with two cup fulls of water and adding some salt, no not to ad flavoring, but to prevent mold growth.

I buried the tunnel mouth within the paper mache, I've also added a ramp to the back of the station halt to allow the people to walk down. I've only added one layer of paper which I'm going to allow to dry before I add a second and then allow to dry again for a third layer.

I will also take the opportunity to trim or make any adjustment to the landscape in-between each layer after they have dried.

To be continued....

royjess
Brigadier
Brigadier

Postby royjess » Wed Oct 07, 2015 11:19 pm

A couple of days ago the paper mache was completed and I'm going to give it another day to make sure that it has dried before I paint it.

Large holes were drilled into the board below where the station platform will sit to allow access to service the illumination which I will be adding to the station.

A special base was made which I will clue the signal box to.

I've added four small but strong magnets to each of the corners of the special base and also matching magnets in line up into the baseboard to allow the removal of the special base and signal box to allow access for servicing to the level crossing motor and cog if need be at a later date.

I've paper mache over half of the special base to cover the cog.

Small reefs to hang on the building doors where made from washers painted green and covered in green scatter. A red bow was made from red sewing cotton.

Snow scatter where added to the buildings and I going to give it a day for the glue to dry. I might then add another layer of snow.

I cut out some clear plastic to add inside the water trough to represent frozen ice. Usually you don't want to get glue on clear plastic as this frost it up, but I wanted it frosty to look like ice, so I added some glue to it. The snow looks blue under the flash of the camera, but you can see the ice water easier. The second photo is one without the flash on, but you can't really see the ice inside the trough.

To be continued....

royjess
Brigadier
Brigadier

Postby royjess » Thu Oct 08, 2015 10:39 pm

The layout is really taking shape now, but there is still a lot more to do to it.

I'm going to use the Hornby R8229 halt station which is the building extension pack 3. OK not the best station available, but I'm hoping to do some work on it.

I've also a Dapol signal box kit.

I've made some trees out of electrical wire which I've covered in solder. At a later date, these will be painted and covered with snow scatter.

I've also painted the paper mache which will be covered with snow scatter at a later date. I've also added a couple of horse and carriages and I've got more horse and carriages on order, plus I got a Santa clause sitting in a sleigh pulled by reindeer. Please note that the buildings and accessories will also be glued in place at a later date.

It's beginning to look a bit like Christmas. :text-merryxmas:

To be continued....

royjess
Brigadier
Brigadier

Postby number1 » Thu Oct 08, 2015 11:58 pm

Brrrrrr! Snow and ice looks really effective Roy, well done :clap: :clap: :clap:
number1
Lietenant Colonel
Lietenant Colonel

Postby steve131 » Fri Oct 09, 2015 10:09 pm

Looking good Roy :clap:
steve131
Colonel
Colonel

Postby royjess » Mon Oct 12, 2015 9:08 pm

Thank for your kind comments.

Today I added some rocks which were made from broken up polystyrene and glued to the side of the mountain/tunnel and painted various shades of grey.

The buildings apart from the station were now glued in place as well as some line side fencing and hedging. I need to get some more fencing.

The church wall was made up but yet to be painted and glued in place.

To be continued...

royjess
Brigadier
Brigadier

Postby royjess » Mon Oct 19, 2015 5:45 pm

Remember the Station prior to me painting and modding it.

Here is what it look's like now complete with working lamps and interior lighting and brickwork on the front of the station platform.

and matching signal box.

Did you notice the name I've given the village?

The church wall was painted and glued in place, along with some gates for the church and houses.

The trees that I made have now been painted brown.

Also some street lamps have been added.

Another one of my horse and carriage also arrived.

Also the buffers were added, I decided to go for the steel ones not the wooden shed type ones.

My choice for these ones were purely that they gave a tad more room than the others. Even though they took up the same amount of space, the steel ones allowed the couplings to pass below the buffer bar as oppose to the other ones where the couplings hit the buffers instead of the train buffers. On such a small layout, every mm really counts.

To be continued...

royjess
Brigadier
Brigadier

Postby Mark » Tue Oct 20, 2015 12:20 pm

Looks brilliant Roy !! Love snow effect. Looks really cold !!
Cheers
Mark

If you nose runs and your feet smell, you're upside down !
Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby steve131 » Tue Oct 20, 2015 8:25 pm

Great work on the station Roy, better x million. Bit of an optical illusion on your October 12 post tree looks like a crack in the glass (or was it just me :oops: )
steve131
Colonel
Colonel

Postby royjess » Fri Oct 23, 2015 11:48 pm

Thanks for your kind comments and yes that tree does look like a crack in the glass, but I can assure you that the glass is not damage ;)

I've painted the tunnel mouths and added black soot on the upper tunnel mouths.

Pond reeds were made from sisal rope strands. I made sure that these were cut at various lengths to look more realistic.

I added a Christmas tree which I added some fibre optic lights.

The signal box was glued to the magnetic base and both the signal box and the station had a layer of snow scatter added. I will add another layer or two once the glue fully dries.

Jess and I decided to add some grave stones to the church.

You will also notice that I've wired up the street lamps as well as glued my home made trees in place.

I also finished gluing all the line-side fencing in place. There is one piece of fencing that I've not glued in place, that is the gap between the level crossing and the station. I will fit that once I've applied more snow scatter to the station and then I've glue the station in place.

Dapol replace my motorized signals with out any fuss and I fitted these and so far I've had no problems with them. They are really nice, they have a LED light.

I've yet to wire up my station lights, but that will be done once I've glued the station in place.

To be continued.....

royjess
Brigadier
Brigadier

Postby royjess » Sun Oct 25, 2015 9:44 pm

The station has now been glued in place and the final bit of electrical wiring has now been completed. The lamps and station waiting room now light up.

The wiring underneath the baseboard was kept as tidy as best as possible. I use cable ties just to neaten up any lose wires. There is a lot of wiring.

Almost there, when I find a few free hours, I will next cover the layout with snow scatter.

To be continued.....

royjess
Brigadier
Brigadier

Postby Manoverboard » Fri Oct 30, 2015 7:16 pm

Hi Roy !
All I can say is your imagination Knows bounds ! great work mate :clap: :clap: :clap:
Cheers Kim.
Necessity is the mother of invention, but still keep your powder dry
Manoverboard
Lietenant Colonel
Lietenant Colonel

Postby royjess » Fri Oct 30, 2015 10:00 pm

Thanks kim

Here is my latest update.

After almost a year since we purchased the Christmas train set, months of planning and preparation. A month or two ago I question whether we would get even the basics of this layout finished?
Well after a couple of days applying some snow scatter and effects, and that was only half of the battle. Scatter is like sand on the beach, it doesn't matter how careful you are with it, it just gets everywhere. So today was spent cleaning up around the points, level crossing gates, decoupler, signals and I had to give the track a good clean.

I used kitchen paper to wipe the track, I don't use track cleaning rubbers as these are abrasive and once you go down that route, you will end up scratching the track which will attract more dirt, and then you are for ever cleaning the track. I then used a wooden bottle cork cut in half to polish the track, this takes out any scratches. I then hoovered the track and then I coated the rails with a graphite artist pencil. This turns the track black. The graphite helps prevent the build up of dirt and also is very electric conductive. Now the train runs smoothly over the track at very very low speed without it stopping.

I also added some snow covered fir trees, glued down the figures and horse carriages and I even made a snow man out of the snow.

Some stone colour lichen was also added to represent bushes/trees, and being a stone colour gave it a frosty wintry look.

I also added some snow effects with some shovel and drifted snow as well as some carriage tracks in the snow.

Considering that the layout only measures 4ft x 3ft and it is a OO gauge, which is half the size of what you would normally expect for a OO gauge, it's certainly a nice little layout.

So is our layout now finished, well no! Jess and I would like to add some more trees, horse and carriage which we have on order plus around another half a dozen people or more.

I will post a video once it is completely finished.

Enjoy the latest pictures...

To be continued...

royjess
Brigadier
Brigadier

Postby Manoverboard » Sat Oct 31, 2015 5:18 pm

Hi Roy and Jess,
Bravo mate :clap: :clap: :clap: Myself and Mrs MOB are well impressed can't wait to see the finished project !!
Cheers Kim.
P.S. what are you using for snow ?
Necessity is the mother of invention, but still keep your powder dry
Manoverboard
Lietenant Colonel
Lietenant Colonel

Postby royjess » Sun Nov 01, 2015 7:51 pm

Thanks Kim,

The layout is more or less finished, there is just a few more trees to add, a horse and carriage and a few more people, and that will be another project finished.

The snow products that I've been using are the "Deluxe Materials Scenic range" I've used the "Snow Kit" "Snow Flakes" and "Shovelled Snow"

https://www.deluxematerials.co.uk/en/se ... it_search=

There are other makes available.

Apparently you can also make snow for your models, you will need to google the recipe on how to make your own snow for models, that's if you want to make your own.

royjess
Brigadier
Brigadier

Postby chill » Sun Nov 01, 2015 9:28 pm

Fantastic. Although I would have made the pond darker as water does look black in winter .
Who cares who wins
chill
Major General
Major General

PreviousNext

Return to Railways