N Gauge Trams - Blackpool Promenade

....or trams. Keep this section on the right track !

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby royjess » Sat Feb 18, 2017 11:11 pm

On a visit to Blackpool September 2014, I was looking at some die cast model trams.

OO gauge was too large for our home and I spotted some Oxford N gauge die-cast trams. I purchased one of each colour.

My plan was to build a simple Blackpool seafront promenade. With the view looking out over to the sea, this should be a simple build with the trams shuttling back and forth, this should take up the minimum of space.

When I got the trams home, I realised that it was only the green one was a Blackpool tram.

The red one was a London tram
The blue one was a Belfast tram
The all burgundy one was an Edinburgh tram
The burgundy and cream was the Cardiff tram

I decided to also have a full set of Blackpool trams, so I recently manage to get hold of another two, I need another three for my layout. I hope to be able to have a choice between running the various trams on my layout, or to keep it in keeping with the Blackpool theme, I can swap them around for the Blackpool ones.

The plan is to motorise these using the Plaza Japan Super mini Chassis TU-7T. These were not designed to fit inside the Oxford trams. So some modification will be required to fit them. Back in 2015 I ordered 5 of these, one for each tram. I will need to order another 5 for the additional Blackpool trams when I purchase them all.

These sat in a box for the past few years until today. The mini chassis are really tiny and only run off 4.5V max. There will be no way to run these off the usual 16V transformer.

I also want the layout to be fully automotive, with the tams automatically stopping at the stops as well as shuttling back and forth, but with a max of 4.5V, this means I'm going to have to make all my own electrics, there is nothing on the market for trains/trams that operate below 16V.

Today I stared, and I built my own basic controller. All runs off 4.5V and all working very nicely.

My next step is to fit the tiny chassis into the die-cast trams

To be continued....
Completed Builds Hachette - The Black Pearl
Completed Builds DeAgostini - Build the Millennium Falcon

Always thinking outside the box....!
royjess
Brigadier
Brigadier

Re: N Gauge Trams - Blackpool Promenade

Postby Mark » Mon Feb 20, 2017 1:04 pm

Oh, nice, but challenging project. Extra large portion of popcorn please :D
Cheers
Mark

If you nose runs and your feet smell, you're upside down !
Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby royjess » Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:57 pm

Any working models are always challenging, especially trying to get them to consistently working. They often need a few hours of tweaking to get them to work.

So I've 7 trams and 5 motors. Some major surgery required to fit these. 6 rivets to drill out. Metal to cut away and holes drilled. Despite the motors being tiny, they are still too big, so the wheels needed to be filed thinner and the base need to be carefully widen. The first one took me a few hours to do. So far I manage to fit 4 out of the 5 motors and the last one took me about an hour to fit. I've one more to fit and the rest of the remaining trams will need to be prepared for when I manage to order some more motors.

Here is a video of a quick test run

To be continued...

royjess
Brigadier
Brigadier

Postby royjess » Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:37 pm

More surgery on the remaining trams.

I modify them to accommodate a Plaza Japan Super mini Chassis TU-7T,

I fitted my last one to the London Transport tram (red one in the middle of the next couple of pics), the other two will have theirs fitted when I manage to order some more.

To be continued....

royjess
Brigadier
Brigadier

Postby royjess » Thu May 04, 2017 7:46 pm

The trams are discontinued, but I manage to get hold of another 3 more Blackpool trams, which I manage to find off ebay from Germany. I put an offer in for these. Today I modified these to take a motor.

I've now need to purchase 5 more Plaza Japan Super mini Chassis TU-7T.

Here is my full fleet of trams including 6 Blackpool ones

To be continued....

royjess
Brigadier
Brigadier

Postby casper » Mon May 08, 2017 12:19 am

They look great Roy and run at perfect speed for the scale
good job :clap: :clap:
casp
My Honda MP4/4 Build Diary
viewtopic.php?f=80&t=5208
casper
General
General

Postby wingnut » Mon May 08, 2017 5:07 pm

Hello Roy, I'm all over this one :o ;) I love Blackpool ! wind rain or shine :laughing-rolling: myself and Mrs "wingnut" have been there many times we love it, even with your many skills could not do the "golden mile" :geek: :laughing-rolling: ;) or could you :mrgreen: ;)
Coming second place makes you the fastest loser.
wingnut
Captain
Captain

Postby royjess » Mon May 08, 2017 6:11 pm

wingnut wrote:even with your many skills could not do the "golden mile" :geek: :laughing-rolling: ;) or could you :mrgreen: ;)

I think my first post will answer that one

royjess wrote:
My plan was to build a simple Blackpool seafront promenade. With the view looking out over to the sea, this should be a simple build.

So it will just be a view of the promenade looking out to sea, no buildings, no pleasure beach, no tower etc... ;)

This image will give you an idea of what the diorama will look like from the viewers point of view

wingnut wrote: I love Blackpool ! wind rain or shine :laughing-rolling: myself and Mrs "wingnut" have been there many times we love it,

Same here, Jess and I love it there, when we visit, we never want to go home again :mrgreen:

royjess
Brigadier
Brigadier

Return to Railways