Tom's 00 gauge railway project.

....or trams. Keep this section on the right track !

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby tom1992 » Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:14 pm

Hi everyone,

I'm having a go at building a small 00 gauge layout for myself and my 2 kids when they're eventually old enough to 'play' trains!
I've been a modeller for many years and used to 'play trains' at a local model railway club back in my childhood but until now I have never had a go at building my own layout.

So, here goes! Now, as this is my very first attempt at building a model railway there is likely to be a VERY steep learning curve, plenty of :angry-cussingblack: and :angry-screaming: and certainly lots of these :angry-chillpill: needed but eventually I hope to produce a simple shunting puzzle type layout. Any help, advice and suggestions from anyone (probably most of you reading in this section) with more experience than me wpuld be very welcome and appreciated! :D

Right, lets get down to business! This is what I hope to produce, An 8ft X 2ft foldable layout of a timber mill based in the Forrest of Dean area,

It features a loading depot with a warehouse, several workshop type buildings, an admin complex, a central bridge feature and a removable cassette type fiddleyard. this project is intended to be simple to operate a fun shunting puzzle to keep the 'playability' high. :)

any thoughts so far guys? :shifty:
Cheers,
Tom.

BIGGEST IS ALWAYS BEST ;)

Built: Tiger Tank, Bismarck, 'O' gauge Canal boats.
Currently building: Lancaster Bomber, DC-3, 00 gauge model railway, Wasa
tom1992
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Re: Tom's 00 gauge railway project.

Postby royjess » Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:42 pm

Go for it, model railways are great fun, shunting trains is a lot of fun.

There is a lot of variably skills involved in building a model railway, a great way to learn electrics, scenery as well as kit building.
Completed Builds Hachette - The Black Pearl
Completed Builds DeAgostini - Build the Millennium Falcon

Always thinking outside the box....!
royjess
Brigadier
Brigadier

Postby wingnut2 » Sat Mar 10, 2018 5:08 pm

Hi Tom, looks interesting :geek: will you be making your own track ?
;)
When the tuff get going follow them........
wingnut2
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby tom1992 » Sat Mar 10, 2018 5:12 pm

Yes mate, all handbuilt track and points (except 2 which will be hidden under concrete.) Using materials and plans from C&L Finescale.
Cheers,
Tom.

tom1992
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby wingnut2 » Sat Mar 10, 2018 5:21 pm

Hi Tom ! had a friend who made his own tracks he used PCB will you be doing the same ?
;) Mike.
wingnut2
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby tom1992 » Sat Mar 10, 2018 5:41 pm

No I'm using moulded ABS plastic sleepers with plastic chairs cemented on top. For the more complex pointwork areas (i.e the crossing noses and the blade tips) I will be using copper clad strips (PCB strips) with the rails soldered on.
Cheers,
Tom.

tom1992
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby wingnut2 » Sat Mar 10, 2018 6:00 pm

Hi Tom, yes my friend used pcb as sleepers and soldered the tracks to the sleepers, looking forward to your build diary :D
;)
wingnut2
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby tom1992 » Sat Mar 10, 2018 6:06 pm

In truth, I've actually already started the build. I've got as far as board construction and have laid most of the track already and have done the electronics as far as the track bus and point control. Just finishing off construction of the points and laying the hobby board/polystyrene foundation for the scenery. Should be finished by this evening or tomorrow. I thought I'd get the boring stuff out of the way first and start the build diary when I've got to the scenery/populating the layout with buildings etc. Will post some photos soon. :D
Cheers,
Tom.

tom1992
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby wingnut2 » Sat Mar 10, 2018 6:10 pm

Hi Tom, looking forward to your future post's.
;)
wingnut2
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby royjess » Sun Mar 11, 2018 11:08 am

Hi Tom, did you design the layout plan?

royjess
Brigadier
Brigadier

Postby tom1992 » Sun Mar 11, 2018 4:15 pm

Hi mate,
The track plan was adapted slightly from one I found featured in 'model rail' magazine a few months ago. I've added a few extra features and mirrored it as it looks better that way round.

I decided to use the existing track plan as it was proven to work on this size of board and works well as a stunting puzzle. Saves me spending an age trying to design and prove my own design to fit the same purpose.
Cheers,
Tom.

tom1992
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby tom1992 » Sun Mar 11, 2018 5:37 pm

Hi everyone,

I've now finished laying my track and have glued down a foundation layer of Sundela board and polystyrene ready for the scenery.
I've already been busy building some of the buildings featured on my layout. Some are small line side kits and some will be kit bashed to alter them slightly and add extra features. Most I will have to scratch built to meet specific needs. Some pics once I've built a few.

Cheers,
Tom.

tom1992
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby wingnut2 » Sun Mar 11, 2018 6:26 pm

Hi Tom, Wow that's a monster :o where are you going to keep it ?
;)
wingnut2
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby tom1992 » Sun Mar 11, 2018 9:13 pm

At 8ft x 2ft it's not small but it's not massive either.
It's got a hinge in the middle so it folds in half for easy storage but once I've got the scenery on the go properly I've got a place planned for it. It involves relocating my kids beds and bringing the fold out sofa downstairs which will leave a nice 8ft gap in front of the window! :D SWMBO knows about the moving of the beds but as yet she doesn't know.... WHY... (cue evil laugh! :twisted: :laughing-rolling: )
Cheers,
Tom.

tom1992
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby tom1992 » Tue May 22, 2018 8:27 pm

Hi all,

I've had some time to do something to my layout, its a fair bit but not as much as I would have liked so far but what with a few projects on the go, wife, kids and a couple of job changes things have been a bit of a hell's highway! :evil: none the less, please enjoy reading through thew progress so far! :D

First off, I've made up the bulk of the scenery using polystyrene blocks and newspaper covered in plaster cloth. the hard standing for the goods depot is made up of hard sundaela covered in card and a layer of plaster to bring it up to rail level.
I've dug a trench through the sundaela to provide a passage for the water from the watermill, this will disappear trough a culvert through the hillside. on the opposite side there will be a waterfall also to be artificially taken away below ground via a culvert. these will be installed later.

I've also been building more of the buildings to be featured on the layout, here's a selection of some of them in various stages of completion,

A trio of coal staithes, scratch built using match sticks,
The partially completed main warehouse, being scratch built with wills sheets and plastruct moldings,
The large yard crane just needing a touch of dirt, this has been scratch built using scraps and plastruct from photos and eyewitness of the original which is in the Fawley hill museum belonging to the late Sir William McAlpine.
The watermill, this is a modified kit from the wills craftsman range, I was originally going to make this a derelict example but the kit was so nice that I couldn't bear to do it! ;)
The bridge, also scratch built from the wills sheet and construction packs. Notice that the photo shows 3 piers, later there will be a photo showing only 2! I decided that the extra pier wasn't needed as it looked too much like a narrow gauge railway and it seemed too 'over engineered' for the length of span. So I decided to remove the middle pier, all that remains is to paint the piers the right colour stone and to make it dirty! :D also it needs to be 'bedded in' i.e building stone walls to join the steel plate girded section to the surrounding hillside.
The startings of the gantry crane that takes full logs from the 'logging front' via the railway to the processing workshops, I was originally thinking of motorising this to carry a log from a flatbed truck to a rail wagon but after thinking hard about how best to do it, I've gone for the simple option of leaving it static with a log in 'mid process' ;)
The completed oil storage tank, suitably dirty and worn out and temporarily in it's location on the layout.
And finally (and my favourite structure so far), is the boiler house for the processing unit, again scratch built using items from the spares box and wills sheets. The chimney is from Unit models and is one of only 2 brick built structures on the layout! the other one is the other chimney for the log splitter hut yet to be sourced/built. the boiler has been built with having lighting installed to represent a lit fire! (more on this in another post...) the chimney will also have smoke generator built into the base board. the stonework has been painted to look like the reddish/pink sandstone of the Severn valley near Ross-on-Wye/Worcester this will be the colour for all of the course stonework buildings on the layout.

Finally, here is a couple of shots of the layout so far with the buildings in place (a couple more than described here), next job to do is to paint on the base colours and cast and install some 'rocks' using woodland scenics plaster molds and Hydrocal plaster. :D
Cheers,
Tom.

tom1992
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby royjess » Wed May 23, 2018 7:23 pm

Very nice, coming along really well. I can't wait to see this finished :clap:

royjess
Brigadier
Brigadier

Postby tom1992 » Fri May 25, 2018 3:58 pm

Thanks mate, coming along slowly. I've had this week off so I've managed to do a fair bit. Back to work on Monday so it'll grind to a crawl now.... But we are not downhearted! I shall persevere! :D
Cheers,
Tom.

tom1992
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby wingnut2 » Fri May 25, 2018 4:27 pm

Hi Tom ! Happy birthday and some great progress with the railway :occasion-birthdaymulticolor:
Mike, ;)
wingnut2
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby tom1992 » Fri May 25, 2018 5:06 pm

Cheers Mike! :D spent most of today on building my backscene and the log splitter hut. Couldn't think of a better present than to be not at work doing the greatest hobby in the world! :dance:
Cheers,
Tom.

tom1992
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby tom1992 » Thu Jun 07, 2018 11:09 am

Hello everyone, I've got a few more photos to show you.

I've now finished the hard standing for the moment, and painted all of the base colours for the scenics. I've also added some plaster rock castings and painted them too. I've used Lifecolour pigments and Woodland scenics earth colours for the rock and various shades of humbrol acrylic for the base shades for the landscape.
[img]http://i1300.photobucket.com/albums/ag99/tombonewell/SAM_7344_zpspeqaoecc.jpg[img]

I've also weathered the bridge, it's not installed yet as i'm waiting to add the static grass to the areas below the bridge first.

I've also built and weathered the log splitter building at the end of the layout, I've designed this building as a semi relief construction coming out about 70mm with the back open to the front of the viewing area so the machinery can be viewed inside. when I get hold of it this'll be a diesel generator with a electric driven ram on a trackway.
Cheers,
Tom.

tom1992
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Next

Return to Railways