G Gauge - Enchanted Garden Railway

....or trams. Keep this section on the right track !

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby royjess » Tue May 26, 2020 8:38 pm

I've many modelling projects that I have started but have also been on hold due to either budget, lack of time or space. But I'm working towards getting them finished at some point.

Despite all the above, I decided to start another modelling project. This is probably going to be my biggest to date. I'm expecting a package from Jadlam Toys & Models. I think the lock-down has gone to my head as I completely blown our budget and I'm expecting a large package or two to be delivered some time tomorrow (according to the courier).

This is going to be a big project, and our biggest yet taking up a large amount of space, but not to worry as Jess and I have already decided where this will end up being displayed.

Oh by the way, with regards to the title of this thread, Jess dose know about this new project and it was her that initially ask for me to build one.

The big question is, can you guess what it is?

Hopefully if the package arrives in one piece and on time, I'll be able to reveal what it is tomorrow and start a diary build.
Completed Builds Hachette - The Black Pearl
Completed Builds DeAgostini - Build the Millennium Falcon

Always thinking outside the box....!
royjess
Brigadier
Brigadier

Re: Don't tell the wife

Postby Morris » Tue May 26, 2020 9:05 pm

A big ship diorama?
Morris

1/32 Tamiya Tomcat as Top Gun in progress
Hachette Spitfire Mk1a partworks up to including issues 22-30
DeAgonstini Ford GT40 part work pack 4
1/28 Revell Rickenbacker Spad XIII
Morris
Captain
Captain

Postby royjess » Tue May 26, 2020 9:19 pm

Morris wrote:A big ship diorama?

No, not a ship

royjess
Brigadier
Brigadier

Postby number1 » Tue May 26, 2020 11:22 pm

A Railway project?
number1
Colonel
Colonel

Postby royjess » Wed May 27, 2020 8:24 am

number1 wrote:A Railway project?

You know Jess, of course, she demanded that we run Steam Locos only, no diesel trains allowed.

But what Gauge?

royjess
Brigadier
Brigadier

Postby number1 » Wed May 27, 2020 9:07 am

"0" guage?
number1
Colonel
Colonel

Postby royjess » Wed May 27, 2020 11:03 am

number1 wrote:"0" guage?

No not "0" gauge,

Looks like two parcels are due to be delivered over lunch time :D

royjess
Brigadier
Brigadier

Postby Morris » Wed May 27, 2020 2:27 pm

HO? (Not very knowledgable on train scales, but like watching / reading the articles :? )
Morris

Morris
Captain
Captain

G Gauge - Enchanted Railway Garden

Postby royjess » Wed May 27, 2020 7:09 pm

Morris wrote:HO? (Not very knowledgable on train scales, but like watching / reading the articles :? )

No, not HO,

This time we are going bigger than ever for a railway set. G gauge, "G" don't stand for Garden.

There is no more room inside our home for a railway, but we have a reasonable large garden. We had planned to sort out the front garden, our wall needed some attention, we might knocked it down as it is listing over, it's becoming dangerously unstable, so I am going to either rebuild it or replace it with pvc post and chain.

Our Shed needs to be refurbish as the floor has rotten and I keep putting my foot through the floor. Our garage side door has rotten too and need replacing.

All the above was in the planning for this year, but with the current covid-19 shielding, meaning that we were spending more time in the garden as oppose to going out, this has pushed me into doing up and transforming the garden.

I will post and up date you soon with what I have done so far to the garden and further progress.

Today our delivery of the parcels was on time, but only 2 of the 3 packages was dropped off. So one of the boxes went missing before it was delivered. I have contacted both the seller and the courier company about this.

One of the boxes was very large

ImageIMG_3271 by Jess Lee, on Flickr

The smaller box contains the track extension pack

ImageIMG_3273 by Jess Lee, on Flickr

The large box contained the train starter set .

I will unpack these soon and post an update on the contents and possibly a video of the train in action.

ImageIMG_3272 by Jess Lee, on Flickr

The missing package also contains another starter set.

I plan to have the layout in the back garden, laying the track will take some work as real landscaping is required, laying down good foundations for the track to ensure that the track don't move as well to keep weeds and grass at bay from growing amongst the track bed.

To be continued...

royjess
Brigadier
Brigadier

Re: G Gauge - Enchanted Garden Railway

Postby royjess » Thu May 28, 2020 9:51 pm

Today the missing parcel turned up.

The electrical wires are clamped onto the track with screws, the black box in-between the track is a magnet to trigger the sound effects on the loco.

ImageIMG_3281 by Jess Lee, on Flickr

Weatherproof controller, but they don't recommend that you leave it outside when not in use

ImageIMG_3282 by Jess Lee, on Flickr

Not so weatherproof transformer, which is recommended to keep inside

ImageIMG_3280 by Jess Lee, on Flickr

Loco's and rolling stock

ImageIMG_3287 by Jess Lee, on Flickr

ImageIMG_3289 by Jess Lee, on Flickr

ImageIMG_3288 by Jess Lee, on Flickr

ImageIMG_3290 by Jess Lee, on Flickr

The back train has smoke and sound effects fitted, but you can easily fit smoke and sound kits to the green loco which don't have any fitted.

There are not our first G gauge trains, we have a battery operated Christmas train which we have owned for a few years and use to come out Christmas time until we ran out of space in the home. This can be run on the electric track, obvious running on battery power and not the electrics

ImageIMG_3291 by Jess Lee, on Flickr

Our patio needs a good jet wash and relaying, something that is on my to do list.

I will explain more on our options with layout and theming at a later date.

In the mean time enjoy

To be continued....

royjess
Brigadier
Brigadier

Postby Morris » Thu May 28, 2020 10:24 pm

That is so cool!
Morris

Morris
Captain
Captain

Postby royjess » Mon Jul 13, 2020 9:30 pm

This project is part of a much larger project. It's more about our garden than just about trains.

I've live here for about 14 years and not really done much to the garden apart from just basic maintaining it. The garden has been on my to do list and I was planning to make a start on it this year.

There are some must do things regarding repairing and restoring, the list includes cleaning and relaying the patio which was laid down by the previous owners and it has sunken in places.

My shed floor has completely rotten, each time I step into it, my feet goes thorough the floor. So I plan to restore it, re-theme it and raise it up onto some blocks.

My garage side door has completely rotten, so I hoping to replace the frame and door.

We usually have some sort of theme going on in each part of the house. We were going to theme the garden on a farm yard type themeing, but this won't be the case now.

The previous owners had left an old sink which had been used as a planter. Jess kept stick insects and each time they die (they only last a year or two) she wanted me to bury them. A couple of years ago, we came up with the idea of burring them in the planter which we turned into a little fairy garden.

The houses lights up by solar power and the turf is an artificial grass mat.

ImageIMG_3450 by Jess Lee, on Flickr

So we change our minds about the themeing of the garden and decided to turn the whole garden into an enchanted garden. G gauge model building kits can cost £100's each, so we are going to have more of the fairy garden type housed around the model train.

If Jess has it her way, she would have the trains going around the whole garden, but I didn't want something too permanent as this can devalue our property or if we decided to remove it at a later date, it could be a right pain to remove. But also the foundations need to be done properly otherwise I will end up with weeds and grass growing though the tracks.

I decided to just focus on a small layout to start with, I'm going to build a planter with fake rocks around it, so it will look like some sort of rockery.

I've built a light weight frame out of piping, this way it won't rot like wood and would also be light to pick up and move, this will be covered at a later date with chicken wire and some cement mix to make the rocks.

ImageIMG_3436 by Jess Lee, on Flickr

This is the layout that we have decided to settle for, the outer layout has points to send the train a different route. One route has the sound magnets fitted to the track, so we can either send the train around the quiet route or the noisy route with just a switch of the points. The points are designed to be pushed the other way by the train if the points are set incorrectly, this means that we only need to ever operate the one point nearest to us to change the route of the train and the train won't derail.

ImageIMG_3438 by Jess Lee, on Flickr

This is only going to be a small layout for the moment, but with the view that we can expand it at a later date.

For the electrics, I've installed a couple of weather proof boxes, I plan to box these in with an access door at a later date to give them even more protection.

ImageIMG_3443 by Jess Lee, on Flickr

The top box house the transformers and controllers

ImageIMG_3444 by Jess Lee, on Flickr

I will bring in the controllers and transformers during the winter months

The lower box housed the extension lead sockets which the transformers and water features are plugged into

ImageIMG_3445 by Jess Lee, on Flickr

Next time I will show you around the garden and what I've been doing with it over the past few months, it is an on going project, even though it was on the cards to sort out this year, the covid-19 lock down has motivated me to get it sorted, especially since we have been unable to go out due to shielding Jess from the virus.

My daughter visited us today social distancing in the back garden, she officially lives with us, but just after lock down she decided to temporary move out to aid shielding Jess, today she has commented how much the garden has change within the last couple of months and it is unrecognisable. It still a long way to go before I get the garden looking anything like I want it to.

All other modelling has taken a back seat for now, but will resume sometime in the near future.

to be continued....

royjess
Brigadier
Brigadier

Postby Morris » Mon Jul 13, 2020 11:28 pm

Impressive, Roy!
Morris

Morris
Captain
Captain

Postby royjess » Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:27 pm

Ok, lets take you all on a tour around our garden

An enchanted garden needs some enchanted features.

A water wheel feature, the wheel turns by a flow of water, this bedding plant area didn't exist before the lock down

ImageIMG_3449 by Jess Lee, on Flickr

Another bedding plant area that didn't exist before the lock down

ImageIMG_3446 by Jess Lee, on Flickr

Take a closer look at the above photo and you will see another enchanted water feature, this one I actually made myself, it's a floating tap with water gushing out of it. It's very enchanting to see

ImageIMG_3447 by Jess Lee, on Flickr

Over on the patio, I have a couple more plant barrels, one containing another floating tap water feature the I also made, as well as the jars water features sat just in front (which I didn't make)

ImageIMG_3439 by Jess Lee, on Flickr

ImageIMG_3440 by Jess Lee, on Flickr

The water features are made from clear plastic tube attached to a water pump and tap. The top end of the tube has some holes drilled out in the side. The water pump is placed into a container which is filled up with clear glass pebbles to hold the tube upright. I've used clear pebbles, as this will allow me to place a submersible led light underneath the pump to illuminate the water feature at night.

ImageIMG_3467 by Jess Lee, on Flickr

Another magical feature for when the nights start to draw in, I'm making some magical lanterns, these are glass jam jars filled with bottle fairy lights, the battery holder is a bottle cork shape and size and is designed to go in bottles to light them up. I've drilled out a hole in the top of the jar lids to fit the cork shape battery holder. I also attached some sisal rope to make a hanging handle.

ImageIMG_3462 by Jess Lee, on Flickr

So far I've only made up 4 of these lanterns, but I do have some more fairy lights to make up some more, I'm just waiting on using up some more jam for the jam jars

ImageIMG_3461 by Jess Lee, on Flickr

This is the area where I'm growing some fruit and veg, the strawberries are in the fruit cage to protect them from the wild birds. I've got some carrots and potatoes growing in the bags. Behind the grow bags, I've planted a Rosa banksiae, an ever green rose plant to feed our stick insects with. Again all the plants/veg in this area is new since the lock down.

ImageIMG_3454 by Jess Lee, on Flickr

A view looking out over the garden from the patio. The flower beds top left hand corner is new and I planted some privet and eucalyptus trees, again food for the stick insects. I've also planted some ornate flowers, but waiting for them all to establish. I've also prepared the ground either side of the shed for some plants at a later date, there is no need to plant anything until I've refurbish the shed. The ground either side was full of gravel and plastic sheeting underneath it all, this was how the previous owners left it, it was hard work removing all the gravel and plastic sheeting which too me a few days.

ImageIMG_3453 by Jess Lee, on Flickr

I also thought it would be quiet quirky to use the wheelbarrow (which was left by the previous owners) into a planter. I drilled out some drainage holes and lined it with weed membrane to prevent the soil from draining out through the holes. This was a feature that I added during the lockdown.

ImageIMG_3457 by Jess Lee, on Flickr

This is looking from the rear of the garden towards the bungalow.

The flower bed to the right just in front of the patio was put in a couple of years ago, I initially planted privet, rose bushes, raspberry plants and an apple tree, all of which are plants that our stick insects will eat, except for the apple tree which we planted for the branches which are safe wood to use for perches for our parrots. During the lock down, I've added more ornate plants in-between the plants and waiting for them to establish. I've also planted some sunflower seeds which are growing nicely. In the conservatory where it is nice and warm, I'm also growing some tomatoes plants which I've grown from seed (I took them straight out of an actual tomato).

ImageIMG_3460 by Jess Lee, on Flickr

The sandy area in the above photo was covered with gravel when I first move here. Grass soon started to grow through. A few years ago, I removed the gravel and allowed the area to become lawn. The ground here was very uneven and the grass didn't really grow well. So during the lock down, I dug it all over to even it out, beneath the ground was more plastic sheeting, actually several layers with gravel and builders sand in-between each layer, so it was hard work removing it all, again it took me a few days to do. I dug out an area to turn into a flower bed in-between the garden gate and conservatory doors. Because the top layer of the ground in this area was just pure builders sand, so I dug it all out down to where the real soil is and I'm waiting for a deliver of top soil and compost to fill the hole in again (which should arrive tomorrow) as I've some shrubs waiting to be planted here.

I'm hoping that the grass will grow over the sandy area again.

The garden is still a working progress and I will keep you all updated with the progress.

royjess
Brigadier
Brigadier

Postby Morris » Tue Jul 14, 2020 11:16 pm

Nice garden, Roy...
Morris

Morris
Captain
Captain

Postby royjess » Wed Jul 15, 2020 10:47 pm

Thanks Morris,

Today the top soil arrived along with some compost. I filled in the hole that I dug and planted some shrubs which should bush out when established.

ImageIMG_3499 by Jess Lee, on Flickr

My next job is to acquire a pressure washer to wash down the patio, I last purchased a pressure washer over 15 years ago and only ever used it the once back then. I got it out recently and it died on me. Once I pressure washed the patio, I'm going to relay it as the model railway will sit partially on it.

I will keep you updated on any progress.

To be continued...

royjess
Brigadier
Brigadier

Postby number1 » Thu Jul 16, 2020 3:43 pm

Nice looking garden Roy, ours is barely big enough to swing a cat! (not that I've tried :o ) even so its full of little trees.
number1
Colonel
Colonel

Postby royjess » Thu Jul 16, 2020 10:51 pm

Thanks Number 1, I feel so lucky to have a garden, especially during the covid-19 shielding/lock-down, I do feel for those who don't have a garden during these difficult times.

As you can see, running a railway around the whole garden as Jess would like is going to be a tall order and a lot of hard work, as well as expensive considering each section of track cost around £6 and a set of points costing around £40

royjess
Brigadier
Brigadier

Postby royjess » Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:56 pm

I've recently pressured washed the patio, it looks nice and clean now. Jess and I have been enjoying some time out till after dark enjoying the garden illuminations. it looks very magical all lit up, the photos don't do it any justice

ImageIMG_3623 by Jess Lee, on Flickr

ImageIMG_3636 by Jess Lee, on Flickr

ImageIMG_3635 by Jess Lee, on Flickr

ImageIMG_3634 by Jess Lee, on Flickr

ImageIMG_3642 by Jess Lee, on Flickr

ImageIMG_3647 by Jess Lee, on Flickr

ImageIMG_3648 by Jess Lee, on Flickr

royjess
Brigadier