weather to buy or not to buy a Jag?

The Revell/Monogram 1/8 E-Type group build

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby R2D2 » Wed Jan 14, 2015 9:42 pm

Hi all! Im thinking of buying a Monogram 1/8th scale Jaguar but would like your opinions on it from this thread as you all seem to be building one! I already have a 1/8th Aston Martin DB5 and four Pocher 1/8th models and others and would like to add more models of the same scale! Could any of you tell me the quality of the kit and is it fairly acurate for a scale of this size and price! I have seen some for sale on Ebay at quite good prices and although they look quite big and impresive look a bit simple in some areas. I believe the kit is all plastic so are parts prone to breaking such as the opening doors etc! Also I dont think the rear hatch opens on the Monogram model but is there any way of modifying this! All information would be much apreciated as it could make up my mind as to buying one or not!
R2D2
Lietenant Colonel
Lietenant Colonel

Re: weather to buy or not to buy a Jag?

Postby Julian » Wed Jan 14, 2015 11:14 pm

YES Buy one...
YES Build one
YES Make a diary
YES Display it with PRIDE... :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
If it's Not Broke, Take it apart and make it better

Timmy Mallet

http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/
Julian
Brigadier
Brigadier

Postby Mark » Thu Jan 15, 2015 12:46 am

I've never seen the kit, but it's an old tooling, so it's likely to have lots of possibilities to add extra detail (I should have been an estate agent :laughing-rolling: ) and is probably hard work to build. However, it's your only option, so I you really want a 1/8 E type, that's it !

It does look stunning when it's finished !!!
Cheers
Mark

If you nose runs and your feet smell, you're upside down !
Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Roymattblack » Thu Jan 15, 2015 9:22 am

It's a superb kit, recently re-released at £99 GBP so don't pay daft money on auctions at Ebay.

Builds very well, pretty easily and there's LOADS of room for detailing. There's now quite a lot of upgrade and modifying stuff available - again, look at Ebay.
I've built two, have a third in my stash which will become a roadster, and used parts from another two to build a C Type, and currently a D Type.

GET ONE.

Roy.
Roymattblack
Colour Sergeant
Colour Sergeant

Postby baby_astons » Thu Jan 15, 2015 3:18 pm

need to do a bit of opposition to roy -
it's far from being an easy build or a superb kit - some parts are warped and need a lot of work to get them right - and the detailing is early seventies kit standard...
but it's the only one you can get and yes it serves as a good base for a nice e-type - with a nice amount of work involved...

if you're not crazy like myself and start measuring (and find out that the engine is too small) you'll end up with a lovely e-type in your collection -
and quite a few aftermarket parts you can now get are made by roy ;)
building:DB5~E-Type~Testarossa~Aston Vantage V12~Millennium Falcon

stash: viewtopic.php?f=157&t=5628

Always forgive your enemies - nothing annoys them so much.
baby_astons
General
General

Postby Roymattblack » Thu Jan 15, 2015 3:36 pm

As an add-on to my earlier post - yes it's a very nice kit - but true, it's old tooling and the detail isn't great.
Having said that, it builds into a very impressive model of the E Type - particularly if you want to go potty with mods, details and improvements.
Let's just say it's 'on par' with the Eaglemoss DB5...

It's the only model of an E Type that you can get at this scale, unless you want to go mad and buy a 'ready built' from one of the pro companies but be prepared to pay serious money - until a sensible partwork company realises it's a veritable oil well waiting to be tapped.
Maybe Pocher will do an E Type one day? Pigs might fly...

We can only hope.

Roy.
Roymattblack
Colour Sergeant
Colour Sergeant

Postby R2D2 » Thu Jan 15, 2015 7:41 pm

Hi all and thanks for all your very usefull advice! It seems that although as you all point out it is old tooling and could do with some detailing it is still a very nice kit! It can't be any more defficult than building a Pocher or the Aston Martin which although lovely models when finished were a challenge to build! Youv'e all sold me the idea and I will put a sensible bid on one on ebay! As you say though I wont pay a silly price for one but wait till one comes up at a fair price! Once again thanks all for your info and when I do get one will put up a build thread! Many thanks r2d2 (John).
R2D2
Lietenant Colonel
Lietenant Colonel

Postby baby_astons » Fri Jan 16, 2015 12:28 am

john another suggestion - as there is a lot to do anyway you could as well go for a finished model in need of restoration -
there are many or at least a lot of them surfaces on ebay - if it's complete you can take it apart and get on the way with a cheap base...

baby_astons
General
General

Postby R2D2 » Sat Jan 17, 2015 3:27 pm

Good idea although I cant find any built on ebay at the moment! I have seen a complete unbuilt kit for sale in Germany for under £100 plus postage! I might go for that one!
R2D2
Lietenant Colonel
Lietenant Colonel

Postby R2D2 » Sun Jan 18, 2015 1:42 pm

Hi all! Finaly bought the Revel 1/8th scale Jag on ebay! Cost £99.98 Plus E12.99 postage! Hopefully will be here by the end of next week or begining of week after! Its coming from Germany. Will do a build diary when it arives!
R2D2
Lietenant Colonel
Lietenant Colonel

Postby Mark » Mon Jan 19, 2015 12:48 am

Nice one :D Look forward to seeing the diary :clap:
Cheers
Mark

Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby R2D2 » Wed Jan 21, 2015 7:27 pm

Hi all! Has any one done a mod to change the Revel kit to a convertable and also to a right hand drive! If so how difficult is it to do and has any one got instructions! Many thanks John!
R2D2
Lietenant Colonel
Lietenant Colonel

Postby baby_astons » Wed Jan 21, 2015 7:44 pm

nice to see another e-type emerging here john - I have done the conversion to RHD on my build, you can look it up -
if it's too hard for you (it's really easy) I think roy has had a converted resin dash on sale on :twisted: bay -
you can as well just cut up the dash and interchange the parts rather than making up everything eny like i did...
I am doing a convertible - have already cut the car up - but have not arrived at doing the rear deck - more soon on my build -
you might like to know that there is a complete rear end available on german :twisted: bay from karsten,
if I may i would suggest to not buying that one - I'm not saying it's not ok but it's a simple lump of resin that has to be grafted onto the revell model -
with no working features, which is a shame with a model of this size - i'll make my boot lid working and you might like to try it as well...

baby_astons
General
General

Postby R2D2 » Wed Jan 21, 2015 7:56 pm

Hi babyastons! Thanks for your reply and I will look at your thred! Have not yet recieved the Jag kit yet but was thinking of changing the driving position and converting it even before I bought the kit as I really like the convertable version! Thanks again for your info!
R2D2
Lietenant Colonel
Lietenant Colonel

Postby R2D2 » Wed Jan 21, 2015 8:37 pm

Hi all! Another note on the Jag. Managed to buy from a friend very cheap a spare electronic module for sounds and lights for the Eaglemoss Aston Martin! Also included is the battery box, speaker, and the GPS light! Will be able to use this in the Jag to add engine sounds and lights! I already have a spare ignition and two sets of keys that were surplus to requirements! Cant wait to get the kit (should be due by the end of the week), and plan out the build including the mods!
R2D2
Lietenant Colonel
Lietenant Colonel

Postby Mark » Thu Jan 22, 2015 7:43 am

But the Jag is a V12, so surely you'd need two modules as the Aston was only a straight 6 :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:

Seriously, looking forward to seeing you build this one :D
Cheers
Mark

Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Roymattblack » Thu Jan 22, 2015 9:22 am

Ummm... No...

The Jaguar is a straight six - just like the Aston DB5.

The V12 was introduced many years later and the entire car looks completely different.
The Aston sound effects should be very similar as both cars ran through SU carbs too.

Roy.
Roymattblack
Colour Sergeant
Colour Sergeant

Postby R2D2 » Thu Jan 22, 2015 12:26 pm

I think the engine sounds will be close enough! I know to a purist it may not be correct but hay ho! I have got a diesel sound module that was fitted to a radio control boat! Perhaps I could fit that and make it sound really awfull! :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:
R2D2
Lietenant Colonel
Lietenant Colonel

Postby baby_astons » Thu Jan 22, 2015 12:43 pm

mark, MY jaguar (at least two of the lot) will be a v12 - but that's another story...
but overall it's great we're getting a new build, might infuse new life to this lazy thread... ;)

baby_astons
General
General

Postby R2D2 » Fri Jan 23, 2015 6:13 pm

Finaly got the kit! I must say Im pretty impressed so far! Ok! Its not to Pocher or Partwork standards but for around £100 you can't complain. Needs a lot of painting and mods to complete but Im looking forwards to it. Ive only taken a few pics of the opened kit as most of you here will allready have seen or built it! If however anyone needs more photos of the kit contents let me know! I wont be starting on the kit for a couple of weeks yet anyway because of other comitments. I have scanned the instructions and saved them as a PDF file so if anyone is interested in a copy I could supply you with one! Ive done copies because I can zoom in to the drawings as my eyesight is not to good at my age!
Attachments
IMGA0159.JPG
IMGA0159.JPG (28.7 KiB) Viewed 7199 times
R2D2
Lietenant Colonel
Lietenant Colonel

Next

Return to E-Types