Christmas Competition Rules 2016

Our annual 'low budget' Christmas Competition.

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby royjess » Wed Oct 26, 2016 5:33 pm

Here are the rules for this years Comp

The rules are:

1. The kits must have a max retail price of £20.
Note that this is RRP, not eBay or sale price. They can be any media. E.g. Plastic, wood, metal, resin, etc.

2. No aftermarket detail sets or accessories are allowed.
E.g. No brass etched detail sets, resin details sets etc. Etched and resin parts are OK if part of the kit, or indeed the whole kit, but not as an optional extra.
Aftermarket decal sets are allowed if you want to do an alternative colour scheme etc.

3. You can add extra details using common items such as wire, plasticard, wood, etc.

4. You can add a diorama if you wish, but it must be made exclusively from common items such as sand, sawdust, polystyrene foam, etc.
No commercial trees, oil drums, or jerry cans, light sabres, etc. Picture frames, cutting boards, coasters, etc. as the base are all allowed.
Take this rule as guidance rather than prescriptive as I'm sure you know the intent.

5. Judging will be decided by a poll, which will be open for 2 weeks after the end of the competition.

6. You must post a build diary, which can be as brief or as long as you like (though we enjoy reading build diaries !) but it should contain a photo of the box, parts laid out, some construction shots, and a shot of the finished model. Build diaries must be posted in this section.

7. There will be a thread for finished models. Photos of the finished models must be uploaded to the forum by midnight (GMT) of Tuesday, 31st Jan 2017.

8. You can enter more than one model if you wish, to a max of 3. One thread per build diary and only one model per thread.

Jess and I announce that the Christmas competition 2016 in now officially open, please feel free to start your competition enter diaries.

Good Luck!

Roy and Jess :D
Last edited by royjess on Mon Nov 07, 2016 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Completed Builds Hachette - The Black Pearl
Completed Builds DeAgostini - Build the Millennium Falcon

Always thinking outside the box....!
royjess
Brigadier
Brigadier

Re: Christmas Competition Rules 2016

Postby snapdragon » Thu Oct 27, 2016 6:00 pm

I know these are outside the official competition RRP according to airfix's webshop, but street price puts these kits at £1.99 over our £15. For me it's street price that's the official price (sorry! :D )

Normally due to the limitation of scales due to the competition rules puts me out - 1/72 is just too small for me now, and 1/48 is just not my scale of choice, but in memory of Paul I would like to build and enter the following:

Airfix 1/48 Supermarine Spitfire Mk.I
Airfix 1/48 Hawker Hurricane Mk.1 NEW TOOL
Airfix 1/48 Boulton Paul Defiant Mk1

Don't care if I win. Just want to remember the chap!

James
Partwork Building is like meeting enemy action - no plan survives first contact!!
Certified model building idiot! Please treat with kindness!
snapdragon
Colonel
Colonel

Postby chill » Thu Oct 27, 2016 7:16 pm

Not stepping on roy and jess comp ...but maybe the rules could be flexed a tiny weeny bit on this occasion...
Who cares who wins
chill
Major General
Major General

Postby royjess » Thu Oct 27, 2016 7:58 pm

The RRP on these kit are £20.99 :naughty:

http://www.airfix.com/uk-en/supermarine ... -1-48.html

http://www.airfix.com/uk-en/supermarine ... -mk-i.html

http://www.airfix.com/uk-en/hawker-hurricane-mk-1-1-48.

http://www.airfix.com/uk-en/boulton-pau ... -1-48.html

Sorry the rules have been set. It lovely that you would like to do something in memory of Paul as he was well loved on this forum. If the kits went over by a £1 (or maybe £2 at a stretch) or less then we would have considered allowing the above kits. For a compromise , maybe you can submit a diary build of one of the kits above in memory of Paul without submitting it for the final vote. But please do join in with the fun and hope to see you submit another kit entry within the price range.

Roy and Jess :D

royjess
Brigadier
Brigadier

Postby snapdragon » Thu Oct 27, 2016 11:28 pm

Submitting the kits without being eligible for a vote would be fine. It's just that 1/72 which is what the price bracket allows is just too small for me.

Being able to remember Paul is the main thing so submitting the diaries for the competition but not being in the vote is perfectly fine by me if it is OK with the rest of the forum. His approach, attitude and humour about his building adventures always made me smile and chuckle. It's a good way to remember him.

:superlglue: :superlglue: :superlglue:

Strange that my LHS can offer them for £16.99 and Airfix have £20.99 plus postage.
Partwork Building is like meeting enemy action - no plan survives first contact!!
Certified model building idiot! Please treat with kindness!
snapdragon
Colonel
Colonel

Postby chill » Fri Oct 28, 2016 9:12 am

Agreed about remembering Paul.

Look forward to your build then Snap,
Who cares who wins
chill
Major General
Major General

Postby royjess » Fri Nov 04, 2016 12:22 pm

Jess and I would like to ensure that this comp is fully accessible to all.

If you have any special needs and if there is anything that we can do to make the comp more accessible for you, please don't be afraid to message Jess or me.

Help from a carer is allowed

Roy and Jess

royjess
Brigadier
Brigadier

Postby royjess » Mon Nov 07, 2016 4:25 pm

Please note that we have Just up the RRP limit to £20 Max.

This will allow Snapdragon to enter his 1:48 models and Mark to have his pre-brexit prices ;)

royjess
Brigadier
Brigadier

Postby steve131 » Mon Nov 07, 2016 9:44 pm

Well done Roy and Jess :clap: :clap: :clap: :superlglue:
steve131
Brigadier
Brigadier

Postby wingnut » Wed Jan 25, 2017 6:38 pm

snapdragon wrote:Submitting the kits without being eligible for a vote would be fine. It's just that 1/72 which is what the price bracket allows is just too small for me.

Being able to remember Paul is the main thing so submitting the diaries for the competition but not being in the vote is perfectly fine by me if it is OK with the rest of the forum. His approach, attitude and humour about his building adventures always made me smile and chuckle. It's a good way to remember him.

:superlglue: :superlglue: :superlglue:

Strange that my LHS can offer them for £16.99 and Airfix have £20.99 plus postage.[/q
chill wrote:Not stepping on roy and jess comp ...but maybe the rules could be flexed a tiny weeny bit on this occasion...

Enough said :( :whistle: :whistle: :whistle:
Cheers Mike.
Coming second place makes you the fastest loser.
wingnut
Captain
Captain

Postby royjess » Thu Jan 26, 2017 11:04 am

I just want to make it clear that I never change the rules regarding the Max RRP for Snapdragon's benefit. However I still yet to see his build materialise :roll:

I just wanted to make the comp accessible to all as well as fair. The real reason for us to up the max RRP is to allow our members that have impairments, that find the smaller scale kits too intricate to work with, to be able to enter the larger scale kit, which they may find easier to work with, as well other members who prefer the larger kits as a matter of choice.

Roy :D

royjess
Brigadier
Brigadier

Return to Xmas Competition 2016