Weathered Tie Fighter

Robots, Terminators, Thunderbirds, Phasors, Light Sabres, etc......

Weathered Tie Fighter

Sponsor

Sponsor

Weathered Tie Fighter

Postby Mark » Tue Jan 21, 2020 5:58 pm

Here's a little project I've been tinkering with, mainly while watching TV! Darth Vader's Tie Fighter Advanced, X-1.

This is the Bandai 1/72 scale kit, which is not exactly the most difficult of kits to build.

ImageUntitled by Mark Wakelin, on Flickr

Sprue shots

The solar panels are moulded in 2 colours, which will be wasted on me as they'll get painted. Clear parts are in the middle of this fret.

Nice Death Star surface stand, and a Darth Vader pilot. I won't be using the fluorescent green blaster bolts (or whatever you want to call them!)

Instructions, a set of water slide decals, and a set of stickers. No prizes for guessing which I'll be using :lol:

I picked up this to weather it. Supposedly everything you need. We shall see....

Inside, you find, brushes, primer, paints and various weathering products.

.....and an instruction book

The book has multi-lingual instructions, and lots of photos. The show you exactly what you're aiming for in each stage. I shall follow these reasonably closely, but may stray a bit.
The book uses the Revell kit, but it won't be difficult to use it with the Bandai kit.

We start with the cockpit. This is painted dark grey first off (preceded by primer of course), and then a coat of gloss clear.

The clear gloss gives a really nice finish, and it wasn't sprayed on heavily.

Then you add a dark pin wash. This brings out the detail nicely.

The book says to give Darth Vader a coat of black, then follow by the same wash. Unfortunately the wash is lost on the black base. I decided to give him a fairly heavy light grey dry brushing. Deliberately heavy as he's buried in the cockpit.

The cockpit has a few decals, and then had a coat of clear. This instructions say to mix 50-50 gloss and flat to give a satin. I elected to use some Valejo satin to save missing. Not the smartest move as the Vallejo doesn't spray anywhere nearly as nicely as the Ammo product.

The cockpit all buttoned up. The front was painted the light grey of the body, with a mix of paint and clear gloss. It gave a reasonable sheen to take the subsequent weathering.
The instructions say to use Starship Grime, which is an enamel paint for streaking. I found it didn't work brilliantly here, and added a pin wash as well to pick out the detail better.

The rest of the assembly is straight forward. The only hassle with Bandai kits is they are essentially snap-together. This means that you can't get them apart after a dry fit! So I trusted to their moulding and just added a generous amount of glue on the pegs to help them slide home fully. The panel lines were joined with Tamiya Extra Thin.

So far, the only finishing product not supplied is the decal solutions.
Cheers
Mark

If you nose runs and your feet smell, you're upside down !
Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Weathered Tie Fighter

Postby royjess » Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:30 pm

I'm well Gel :mrgreen:

I've certainly got my popcorn ready :D
Completed Builds Hachette - The Black Pearl
Completed Builds DeAgostini - Build the Millennium Falcon

Always thinking outside the box....!
royjess
Brigadier
Brigadier

Postby casper » Tue Jan 21, 2020 10:15 pm

very nice paint set 8-) I have a couple of MIG washes and paints and they are really good but I found them totally different to use than say Vallejo or Tamiya using an airbrush.
great looking kit
A guy used and modified those stands for his Falcon Diorama at Telford.
My Honda MP4/4 Build Diary
viewtopic.php?f=80&t=5208
casper
General
General

Postby Mark » Wed Jan 22, 2020 1:21 am

The Ammo paints do spray nicely. Their primer is probably the best I’ve found so far.

That’s a great a Falcon display. I wonder where he got all the bases from?
Cheers
Mark

If you nose runs and your feet smell, you're upside down !
Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby casper » Wed Jan 22, 2020 7:06 pm

I have the glossy and matt varnish and a couple of the mud and rust colours but no primer, not tried them out yet. I really like the stirring balls inside the bottles.
The guy who built the Falcon diorama said the plates were from the Bandai sets like yours but if you look closely you may see a few kit bashed ones.
My Honda MP4/4 Build Diary
viewtopic.php?f=80&t=5208
casper
General
General

Return to Sci Fi