RDC's Titanic

Hachettes Titanic. This is a very old series, but I know there are a few people still building it.

Re: RDC's Titanic

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Eric » Tue Jun 11, 2013 7:50 pm

I agree.

The hull planking starts easily with the large ply sheets that only need a little shaping at deck level to get the hull shape.

Then some planks at the turn of the bilges, nothing hard there.

The trickiest part is the underhang at the stern.
You might want to tackle the bow planking before the stern, it is much simper and would give you some practice before the stern.
Building;
HMS Hood
Tiger Tank
RMS Titanic

Built;
Bismarck
Eric
Colonel
Colonel

Postby RDC » Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:38 pm

Thanks again for the feedback guys. You’ve helped me decide that given my current investment & skill level, it would be prudent of me to go with the supplied card artwork. But if there are detail components not supplied and that would enhance the model then please let me know so I can ascertain the investment (time, skill & money).
RDC
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Postby RDC » Mon Jul 29, 2013 5:04 am

Back in June I wrote that the project had to step aside for a kitchen reno but things have not gone to plan. Last year I snapped a tendon in my right hand – and yes I’m right handed. Three surgeries later it looks like I’ll regain the full use of the hand. Unfortunately I still have five more weeks of wearing a splint/cast to go. Before my ship building stopped, some work had been done on reshaping the frames. So I thought I could at least bring my progress up to date.

I was not happy with my first attempt at using the PDF image – couldn’t seem to get the scale right (The PDF is on Marks 'Build the Titanic' site. http://www.buildthetitanic.co.uk/detail.htm#frame). So after I’d added the required amount of material to the spans in question, they were scanned on a sheet of graph paper. This image and the PDF image were merged using photoshop. The merged image was then printed, cut-out and glued to the appropriate span for trimming. The use of the graph paper assisted with scale and orientation.
The initial span image Image The merged images Image

Below are the reshaped frames after the glued image was washed off. The reverse side shows the use of the center sheet of 3ply Random grove to strengthen the joints.
Image Image

The reshaped frames have been installed on the hull but more reshaping work is still to be done. Spans 5 & 8 are not correct (see circle on 5 below).
Resolving this issue will be next when I have two hands to work with.
RDC
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Postby Eric » Mon Jul 29, 2013 7:00 am

Looks excellent!

Use a plank as a guide to show you how accurate it is. Lay it along the length of the hull there. It should run nice and smooth with no sudden sharp angles.

I hope your hand recovers quickly!

A well deserved K.
Building;
HMS Hood
Tiger Tank
RMS Titanic

Built;
Bismarck
Eric
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Mark » Wed Jul 31, 2013 3:16 am

I'll second what Eric says. One of the beauties of wood is that it's easy to fix the frames that are too wide with a sanding block.

A K from me too :D
Cheers
Mark

If you nose runs and your feet smell, you're upside down !
Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby RDC » Mon May 09, 2016 12:05 pm

I can't believe it's been almost 3 YEARS since my last post. But I've been able to clear by project bucket so that I can see myself having time to make some progress. After reviewing where I left off I remembered the problem that may have contributed to the project's fall to the bottom of the bucket.

Work was stopped work because of the difficulty in repairing/replacing the artwork of week 3 – “C Deck Cabins”. I’ve been unable to recreate/capture the “yellow” colour. Scanning both the undamaged artwork of week 3 and artwork from week 57 have created ‘grainy/pixilated’ results. I have used PhotoShop to try and recreate the “yellow” but have never been happy with the results. Also there is the issue of what photo paper to use. Unfortunately I’ve not found a “yellow- photo paper” combinations that I’ve been happy with.

Maybe I’m trying too hard for a “perfect match” when there isn’t one or maybe it’s just not as important or won’t be as notice as I thing it is. Either way I’m thinking it was the reason behind why the project was pushed to one side and then being “shelved”.
If there is any help/words-of-encouragement that can get be motivated to continue “the build” it would be greatly appreciated.
Attachments
C Deck Cabins Original Artwork 300dpi v2.jpg
C Deck Cabins Original Artwork 300dpi v2.jpg (155.99 KiB) Viewed 7151 times
RDC
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Postby chill » Mon May 09, 2016 2:02 pm

Keep going with the build. As the Titanic was the very first part work i ever did and was what got me hooked on them in the first place.

Great to see the Titanic still being built after all the years since it was first issued. That and the BIsmarck are the god fathers of the partworks world and hold mythical status.
Who cares who wins
chill
Major General
Major General

Postby Mark » Mon May 09, 2016 3:58 pm

To be honest, you're probably trying too hard. I don't think the yellow colour is that accurate anyway. A good compromise would be to recreate all the artwork in that forward section, so the area is all the same colour/finish. I don't suppose you'd notice the slight difference if parts aren't touching each other.

Anyway, like Chill says, do carry on. It's a fantastic model when it's finished.
Cheers
Mark

If you nose runs and your feet smell, you're upside down !
Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby RDC » Tue May 10, 2016 9:00 am

Thx for the encouragement to continue and confirming that I'm worrying toooo much.
RDC
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Postby steve131 » Wed May 11, 2016 7:33 pm

Keep at it and just enjoy it ,I've got half built models that I go back to and still love making them . No ones alive now to have seen the real colour so go with what you like.
steve131
Brigadier
Brigadier

Postby number1 » Wed May 11, 2016 10:39 pm

steve131 wrote:Keep at it and just enjoy it ,I've got half built models that I go back to and still love making them . No ones alive now to have seen the real colour so go with what you like.

Very true, Ive more unfinished models than finished ones which I will get round to finishing one day
number1
Colonel
Colonel

Postby RDC » Thu May 12, 2016 2:12 am

After having a chance to really think about the "yellow colour" I found the "blur filter" of Photoshop reduced the scan's pixelation issue. However there is a big difference between the colour from week 3 *dark-yellow/light orange" and week 57 "light yellow". Since artwork for week 3,15 & 16 has to be re-created, I can also change/correct/choose which "yellow" to use ie maybe something in between the two.
Attachments
Screenshot wk3 blur.png
Screenshot wk3 blur.png (25.02 KiB) Viewed 7115 times
Screenshot  wk57 blur.png
Screenshot wk57 blur.png (34.07 KiB) Viewed 7115 times
RDC
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Postby number1 » Thu May 12, 2016 4:44 pm

Your choice, myself I prefer the lighter yellow
number1
Colonel
Colonel

Postby RDC » Sun Jan 29, 2017 1:14 pm

FINALLY but FINALLY !!!! I’ve found both the time and motivation to get back to my Titanic build. After a recess what was to be a brief intermission, had turned into an 18 mouth hibernation. I felt safe in gluing down the two well decks (parts 22 & 51). And wouldn’t you know it the aft well deck (51) was not aligned and has to be redone.
Lesson – view objects being fixed in place from more than one angle. The centre line on the deck was clearly not aligned with the centre line of the hull.
Deck 51 Unaligned.png
Aft Well Deck 51 Unaligned
Deck 51 Unaligned.png (263.53 KiB) Viewed 6564 times

Next the cabins on fore well deck. After reading and rereading both Mark’s & Eric’s post I felt confident enough to ‘give it a go’. The problems encountered by Mark (week 14) highlighted the need to be able to test fit artwork C1 & C2 in conjunction with floor forms S1 & S2. So to give the cards some rigidity S1 & S2 were glued to balsa wood as thick as the wall supports parts 14 & 15).
P1030517ss.jpg
Modified S1 & Unmodified S2 Forms
P1030517ss.jpg (69.36 KiB) Viewed 6564 times
P1030519ss.jpg
Fore Deck Overhang
P1030519ss.jpg (93.78 KiB) Viewed 6564 times

Above the S1 has been trimmed along the RED line but S2 has not been trimmed. The damaged artwork that I have inherited & need to replace, is also shown. Note that the Cabin artwork fits the modified S1 former ok. While the Cabin artwork fits the “unmodified” S2 former. Below is the fore deck over hang that Mark alerted us to and shows that the S2 former and cabin artwork need to be modified. Therefore the artwork will be cut in the corner (grey circle) and the wall length (green) reduced.
Cabin Colour Patcheds.png
Cabin Colour Patch
Cabin Colour Patcheds.png (285.41 KiB) Viewed 6564 times

Before I complete the recreated artwork for C1 & C2 the choice of colour needs to be resolved. Eric’s post advised that he’d be using Humbrol #7 (Light Buff). Also on Eric’s post was a hyperlink to another model that used a ‘darker buff’ (see below) http://titanic-model.com/models/exhibit ... _pg2.shtml. As best I could determine the #7 Light Buff (Left from Eric’s Post) can be recreated by R249:G188:B102. One other item – I’ve chosen to print the NEW artwork with Matt Photo Paper as a gloss paper shows every blemish/dent made in the paper when it is installed. Hopefully I’m on the right track and if not then I need to be redirected.
RDC
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Postby number1 » Sun Jan 29, 2017 9:03 pm

Nice to see you've restarted your Titanic, I still have to get the motivation to get on to finishing my Hood stalled since July 2014 :?
number1
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Hilux5972 » Mon Jan 30, 2017 2:30 pm

I decided against using the card cabin overlays for my 3rd Titanic model. I needed up getting the minibrass etched walls for my model. They look fantastic. Much better than the card kits. It is worth the the extra expense to do this. Improves the look so much. Another plus is the colour around the well decks can be made more accurate, without having to math to the incorrect Yellow shade. The walls behind the windows have be painted black to really show off the etched window frames but like I said it is well worth the effort.

My model can be seen at this link:

viewtopic.php?f=92&t=6340

The etched replacements can be seen here if you are interested in them:

http://www.minibrass.com/index.php?id_c ... &id_lang=1

If you need any tips then feel free to get in touch. Having built 3 I have come across most issues there have been.

Regards, Hilux
Titanic was called The Ship of Dreams. And it was. It really was.
Hilux5972
Sergeant
Sergeant

Postby RDC » Tue Jan 31, 2017 2:34 am

Thx for your words of wisdom Hilux. Your build made me rethink my previous decision to not go with the Minibrass route. Eric's build alerted me to the benefits of the brass parts and for reasons I can't recall I decided against using them. Your model made me question 'why I had decided against using them. As much as I want this model to be 'exhibit quality' it is my first 'boat build'. I'm also into model trains and participate, as a club member, in a number of train shows throughout the year. And I have more unfinished project than I may have time left in which to finish them. So I'll stick with the cards and hope I can build a model at least as good as Marks.

Back to the issue of paint color. A google search had revealed, Titanic Paint and Color Reference (http://titanic-model.com/paint/#masts) and the "WSB" (White Star Buff) debate. So I now know why there is no definitive "color" and why any color choice is "up to me".

Finally I see by "number1's" comments that I'm not alone in stalled models/projects.
RDC
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Postby Hilux5972 » Sat Feb 25, 2017 4:28 am

Hi RDC

How's the build going?

Regards, Hilux
Titanic was called The Ship of Dreams. And it was. It really was.
Hilux5972
Sergeant
Sergeant

Postby RDC » Wed Jan 08, 2020 3:54 am

Hi Guys - My New Year's Resolution is to get back to my "Unfinished Projects". And on top of that list is the Titanic. I seriously sidetracked myself on the issue re-creating the art work damaged with the original owner's part build - specifically the colour. So now I have to resurrect where I was with the project before I lost the plot. Hopefully I'll have an update before the month is out.
RDC
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Postby number1 » Wed Jan 08, 2020 8:31 pm

Glad to see your new year resolution is to resume your Titanic build, hope you can see it through to the finish.
number1
Colonel
Colonel

Previous

Return to Titanic